Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 8:01:40 PM EDT
Wife and I went to a mexican restaurant last week. Wife ordered a taco salad. When it came to our table we noticed it was devoid of sour cream. So we asked for some.they brought out a good amount. When the bill came I was a little surprised they charged for the sour cream. I thought a taco salad always comes with sour cream as a compliment. I not making a big deal about paying for it just curious.

Is it normal to charge for sour cream whne ordering a taco salad?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats strange, I dont care for sour creme myself.  I always pay extra to get cheese sauce.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Sour cream is for gringos.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It used to. Now they charge extra for everything. There are 3 theatres in our town. The smaller crappy one charges .25 cents extra for BUTTER !!!
I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
It's free here.

It's a wonder they don't charge for salsa as much as I eat.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I ate at a mexi-can't restaurant in Pueblo, Co and the fuckers charged for the chips.  

The next time I ate in Pew-Blow (different place) the assholes tried to tell me Cheese Wiz was queso.  I sent it back and they had to eat it.

I ordered a couple tacos in Milton, Pa at the Petro trck stop and nobody in the place new what picante sauce was.

It's hard to find good mexi-can food outside of Texas.  (You might think it's good, but to a texan it tastes like shit.)
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
That's why I'm glad I'm in El Paso, TX.  

Real Mexican food.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
You are going to the wrong restaurant. The one I go to is always bringing out free drinks/shots/dessert. The man that runs it doesn't speak much english...but neither do I.

MT
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Damn, I felt certain this was to be an exotic PIE thread.

Oh well, carry on!

BTW, there is NO TEX-MEX food outside of Texas!

So don't even think about saying that there is!

Fricking gringos!

Eric The(Texican)Hun

You need a pilgrimage to Arizona for real Mexican food Senor Hun !!
And stop by Jalisco Cafe in Silver City New Mexico on the way here. **DROOL** !!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell, I was in the airport in Alice Springs, Australia, and ordered some egg rolls...they didn't even know what duck sauce was!!!  WTF???
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hell, I was in the airport in Alice Springs, Australia, and ordered some egg rolls...they didn't even know what duck sauce was!!!  WTF???

You mean fish sauce, right?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean fish sauce, right?

Plum sauce?

Danny
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Damn, I felt certain this was to be an exotic PIE thread.
Eric The(Texican)Hun

Close.  This is actually an exotic TACO thread.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Did you ask for the DuckButter?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#16]
You Texans don't even know what Mexican food is!

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Feh, I'm going to Filiberto's for a carne asada burrito.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Eat somewhere else.

Vote with your feet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Well personally I am partial to Tex-Mex rather than Mexican food. Where do you get real Tex-Mex food? No place but Texas!!

Jim
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#20]
the Mexican food in California is authentic, most of the customers are also Mexican, so it must be good?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You Texans don't even know what Mexican food is!

there really is a difference in the Mexican food served in El paso and the food in Dallas.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

GOOD LORD MAN....NO !!!
Read the restaurant inspections, filibertos, los betos etc... are always failing the health inspections and not just for minor infractions.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep I am not crazy about "authentic Mexican food" because it is usually too bland. I prefer "authentic Tex-Mex"......And where do you get that?.....right!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yep I am not crazy about "authentic Mexican food" because it is usually too bland. I prefer "authentic Tex-Mex"......And where do you get that?.....right!!

Bland huh, well come on over and get good hot and spicy Mexican food.
None of that hoidy toidy tex mex stuff you sell the tourists.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I would just about kill for good mexican food.  

Al Pastor is my absolute favorite!!!  Thanks, now I am going into convulsions thinking of it...

hmmm, I wonder if you had real Al Pastor?  It is not made with Pork.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#27]
You fuckers are making me hungry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Sonora Style, Tex-Mex, New Mexico style, Arizona, California style, kind of like Chinese food different areas different methods.  Haven't met too many I didn't like. (one of the reasons my slim sveldt razor sharp body has a 43" waist)  A good sign is policemen, gardeners eating at the same place.

And go for those Health Code "B" places, adds flavor and excitement

However "taco salads" are a gringo invention. And with very few exceptions "crema" sour cream doesn't belong on real Mexican food and especially not in big glops.  

Like the "red stuff" on tacos.  Some areas like chopped tomatoes, some a salsa fresca and some  a tapatio sauce.  All are accurate to some areas.  

Me  on my tacos I like the crumbly white cotija cheese.  Shredded american just doesn't cut it.

Same thing with beans, frijoles. and refritos.  Cooked with some meat and maybe a little onion..  Or refritos take the beans from before and mash and "fry" some add just a little oil and some load it up with lard both authentic.

Birria  anybody?  Which is liable to contain a variety of 4 legged animals, refers to the method of stewing in a chile stew.  goat, beef, lamb, pork, mystery meat?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Whats duck sauce?

And what do you expect from the Alice?  Its a hole and there are too many damn overseas tourists so the place has gone all touristy and crap
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:38:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GOOD LORD MAN....NO !!!
Read the restaurant inspections, filibertos, los betos etc... are always failing the health inspections and not just for minor infractions.

Must be why everything has that nice piquant flavor.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm not bashful about stopping to eat at "mom & pop" type Mexican resturants, just to get as close as I can to real Mexican food.

I've eaten at some pretty good places here in AZ but THE BEST Mexican food I've ever eaten:

El Grand Amigo on Hwy.1 in Moss Beach, CA.

Get a carne asada burrito and chase it with a Pacifico.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top