Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2013 5:41:14 PM EDT
Wife and I are currently building a new house.  I wanted a fireplace to be the main focus of the room with tall windows flanking it because of our view...

The room is 20x15 with the fireplace centered on a 15' wall.  The only real place to put the tv, while keeping living room layout focused on FP, is to put the tv over the FP.

I put the direct vent gas FP on the floor (no raised hearth), and can put mantel at 48" high.  Leaving the bottom of TV at about 49"

Anybody here have a similar setup?  What is the distance from floor to bottom of tv?  Any issues, complaints?

ETA:  Lets see the pics, I need examples on finishing touches.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#1]
personal opinion; I wouldn't want a television anywhere in my "view". there are lots of other walls to hang a TV on.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You probably have no other choice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Did it at my parents house. About eight years now with no ill effects or heat distortion that I ever spotted.

Only problem was the wires, stone fireplace and chimney that required a full day with a rotors hammer to route the wires outside and back in through the wall. Only way they figured to hide the wires 100%
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely no TV over the fireplace!!!
Are you kidding me?
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of!
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
personal opinion; I wouldn't want a television anywhere in my "view". there are lots of other walls to hang a TV on.  

I hear ya...

TV has to go in living room until I get the basement finished once funds rebuild.  15' wide room doesnt offer many options since stairs are on opposite 15' wall.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you would not want a TV in your view ....why would you even have a TV in the first place?

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Hiding the wires (and making it look good) might be a pain in the ass.

Also, do you plan on having a shelf for the DVD player, sound system, cable box, xbox, etc.?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What's all your furniture pointed at?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Friends have their ~47" above the fire place in a ~14x14' living room.
Whenever we watch the game at her place, my neck starts to hurt at halftime.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The TV should be at eye level.....while sitting.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hiding the wires (and making it look good) might be a pain in the ass.

Also, do you plan on having a shelf for the DVD player, sound system, cable box, xbox, etc.?

since its not the planned final location of the entertainment TV room, it will just have the TV.  I will UHF and hopper the dish to the TV so no receiver needed.  DVD player will be hidden in buildout around FP.  Wires and power behind wall with outlet and connectors behind TV.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Did it a couple years ago in the house my ex and I had.  FWIW, when things went south and the house got put on the market a few months later, it sold in 3 days, for full asking price, with a cash offer for asking price coming in the day after the first contract was signed.

Before:

After:

ETA:

There was a channel behind the TV for all the AV wires, those pics were taken immediately after it was finished and TV was mounted.  Glass shelves to left/right eventually held all the A/V equipment.  No visible wires at all.

ETA2:

A nice articulating mount is important too - you can't just throw it on a cheap wall mount, you need to be able to angle it downward significantly.  It looks like it'd be uncomfortable to watch in that pic, but it was actually pretty nice.  Angled so that when relaxed on couch, your eyes were right in the middle of the screen.  If you don't have a high-backed couch, this probably wouldn't work.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Absolutely no TV over the fireplace!!!

Are you kidding me?

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of!

I had no where else to put one in our great room other than over the fireplace.

Because of that, I can not watch TV if the fireplace is being used.

The TV will overheat and shutoff.

FWIW I never use the fireplace unless we are out of power anyways.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats too High... center of screen needs to be at eye level.. unless you plan on standing up to watch movies.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#15]
The TV in the basement at my house is above the fireplace. When it was installed reasonably priced quality TV's were still pretty big (flat panels werent cheap yet) so it was installed in a cutout above the fireplace. I dont care for it. same effect as a flatpanel so that wouldnt be preferable either. The TV sits too high, it's hard to upgrade stuff, and it's just kind of distracting with the fireplace going. I'd try to put it elsewhere if I were you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#16]
We have that setup. Fp is a little over 5' from floor to niche that Tv is in
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#17]
If you plan on using the tv and having a fire at the same time, I suggest finding a different set up.
If its a once in a blue kind of thing, where one gets more use than the other, do it.

I prefer a small tv - big fire place.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#18]
My house is almost a wall of glass windows, has incredible views of a pond and the country.  Let me just warn you about going crazy with window's.  A wall of glass is cold in the winter and hot in the summer, doesn't matter how many panes of glass they suck at efficiency, just imagine a large open space direct to outdoors.  I will never own a house again with so many damn window's.  Honestly we have blinds drawn 90% of the time and watch tv.  Put a solid wall in with a good security camera overlooking your view, project that on your big tv.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're building I'd think you could give the TV a mount where it rises and can disappear.

What I would do if I could choose.   True, TVs are smaller in thickness and can be wall mounted making them more like art, but they are still a TV.

Just my opinion.   Different if you choose to have a Media Room, then make it an altar of worship.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I've seen tvs that look like mirrors until you turn the tv on. I've also seen paintings that roll up and show the hidden tv.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Haha, are you one of those "kill your tv types" yet have over 25k posts on an Internet message board?

One form of entertainment, bad, other form, good.  

Lol
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#22]
No issues for the display being up there , I have been hanging them above fireplaces for years. (Home automation monkey)

Personally, I don't care for putting the tv there as they wind up too damn high off the ground. How far away are you planning your seating area and how big a display?

Bottom of my tv is 29in off the ground for reference. 73in display, I am seated ~12ft away from it.

They do make drop down brackets but they are spendy. At the very least get yourself a tilting mount and angle the display down a bit.

If the walls are still open, run at least one HDMI cable from display to where your equipment is gonna live, 2-3 cat5 or cat6 cables and what we call "smurf tube" (flexible conduit). Secure all wires and conduit so they are not laying against the flue or firebox. Smurf tube is there in case you ever need to add wire on down the road.

Also, make sure you have an electrical outlet wired to behind where the display is gonna live. Use a deep blue box and plan on a clock (recessed ).Not only is putting an extension cord through the wall pretty cheesy, it is a code violation.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've seen tvs that look like mirrors until you turn the tv on. I've also seen paintings that roll up and show the hidden tv.

we wanted to do this

our mantle is entirely too high......

TV is on a stand catty-corner to the left of the left doorway above - at eye level....
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#24]
TV goes next to the fireplace!

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Our Lake House:

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No issues for the display being up there , I have been hanging them above fireplaces for years. (Home automation monkey)

Personally, I don't care for putting the tv there as they wind up too damn high off the ground. How far away are you planning your seating area and how big a display?

Bottom of my tv is 29in off the ground for reference. 73in display, I am seated ~12ft away from it.

They do make drop down brackets but they are spendy. At the very least get yourself a tilting mount and angle the display down a bit.

If the walls are still open, run at least one HDMI cable from display to where your equipment is gonna live, 2-3 cat5 or cat6 cables and what we call "smurf tube" (flexible conduit). Secure all wires and conduit so they are not laying against the flue or firebox. Smurf tube is there in case you ever need to add wire on down the road.

Also, make sure you have an electrical outlet wired to behind where the display is gonna live. Not only is putting an extension cord through the wall pretty cheesy, it is a code violation.

Hope this helps.

It does!

I have the display location wired.  I have PVC 2" run to a box behind the future location to the basement as well.

this TV will be bare bones... dish hopper with UHF remote and a small basic DVD for kids for now.

Once I finish the basement, it will become the media room and will host the surround sound and gizmos.

I am going to push the mantel down some as I can build it up later after I move TV, going to get bottom of TV down to 46-48" from floor.  my chair will be 15' away.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Also, make sure you have an electrical outlet wired to behind where the display is gonna live. Use a deep blue box and plan on a clock (recessed ).Not only is putting an extension cord through the wall pretty cheesy, it is a code violation.

Hope this helps.

Good advice.

Ill have to ask papa(smurf) about the "tube" (greenfield) (pipe) you speak of, though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry for the craptastic photo, but I'm not gonna get up to take a better one.

60" TV, 15' away and about 5 1/2 feet off the floor.The picture is misleading. The fireplace mantle is pretty big, as well is the TV. Those are in wall speakers next to the TV. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Was a way better way to go than putting it on another wall in the living room.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I put the direct vent gas FP on the floor (no raised hearth), and can put mantel at 48" high.  Leaving the bottom of TV at about 49"

Your average gas fireplace produces enough heat to melt candles on the mantle.

You really want your electronics exposed to that?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

60" TV, 15' away and about 5 1/2 feet off the floor.The picture is misleading. The fireplace mantle is pretty big, as well is the TV. Those are in wall speakers next to the TV. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Was a way better way to go than putting it on another wall in the living room.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k215/THROTTLEJUNKIES/IMAG0478.jpg

USMC,

That setup looks very much like mine, except I dont have the hearth.  Thanks for the preview of what I will end up with.

I know the AV guys hate a TV too high, but I am a game watcher and some history channel.  Kids will suffer the most until I get them setup downstairs.

ETA:  BTW, is that Eldorado brand stone face on your FP?
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#31]
i wouldnt personally never put a tv above eye level. would feel like sitting on the front row at a movie theater.

When i build our home theater the general rule was that you eyes should hit at 1/3 up from the bottom of the screen.
It turned out great

110" elite screen, Epson 8350 Hd projector
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

because of buildout for FP and setback for TV, the display will be protected by the mantel which will extend another 6" past display.  AV guys are telling me heat isnt a concern, neck strain is...

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

because of buildout for FP and setback for TV, the display will be protected by the mantel which will extend another 6" past display.  AV guys are telling me heat isnt a concern, neck strain is...

AV Guy saying not a problem.

And since this has turned into a "post your living room" thread......

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AV Guy saying not a problem.

And since this has turned into a "post your living room" thread......

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z207/N2frodn/IMG_0754_zpsfc45671a.jpg

lol... thats a lot of electronics.

and a .45 with hammer RTG!

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

Good advice.  

Ill have to ask papa(smurf) about the "tube" (greenfield) (pipe) you speak of, though.

Although what we mostly use now it is bright orange, instead of blue, the name stuck.
Technical term is ENT Electrical Nonmetallic Tubing (iirc) or Carlon tube.
Plastic stuff for low volt wiring, not BX (metallic).
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#36]
What you need is an articulating mount that you can pull down to visual level when you want to get serious with the tv.
Leave the tv up when its just background noise...

So...check this mount out.....a few videos will explain it.

over the fireplace mount
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The candles are also "protected" by the mantle. Set 'em back as far as you like - and yet they still melt.

Stick a temperature probe inside your TV with the fireplace running full-tilt, and compare the readings with what you'd get with the fireplace turned off. You'll have your answer.

Higher ambient temperature = shorter life expectancy
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The candles are also "protected" by the mantle. Set 'em back as far as you like - and yet they still melt.

Stick a temperature probe inside your TV with the fireplace running full-tilt, and compare the readings with what you'd get with the fireplace turned off. You'll have your answer.

Higher ambient temperature = shorter life expectancy

Mine doesn't.

Been running for about 45 minutes, just stuck my hand above it. ~15-20 degrees above ambient room temp.

Guess I could get my Pyrometer out of the garage.

ETA: Room temp 65
Fire temp 500+
Firebox 84
Stone ~6in above top of FP 70
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Did it in the master bedroom.

Please don't go ghetto.  If you can't fish the wires, throw up some wiremold and paint it the same color as the wall.  For the children.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Tag for picture I will post tomorrow. I'm in bed now and not going to get up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Not all the way done with it but this is what I did with mine. All the wiring is behind the TV also so no dangling wires.

I had to work with what I had and it was all new to me(was only in my 20's at the time)

Before.

After

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#42]
If it's what works with your room layout go for it.

The "Too high" argument is overblown IMO, a good TV mount will angle the TV down a bit and recliners raise your  natural line of sight to meet it.

My plasma has been above the gas fireplace for four years now and it's never been an issue.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Gas fireplace.  Had it this way for a couple years, no spontaneous video combustion.  TV doesn't get appreciably warmer than any other powered on device.  It's a little higher than I'd prefer, but there it covers a ghastly wall repair from a hack that used to own the place.  It's shimed down just a hair to improve the angle, one hardly notices.  The new Samusung LEDs are actually pretty when they're turned off, glass bezel and all.  Go for it.

Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#44]
My fireplace has a friggin giant bull Yukon Moose head over it.  It is a tall chimney with a cathedral ceiling. The big screen is in the basement media room. I'd never put a TV in that spot even without it though..
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k215/THROTTLEJUNKIES/IMAG0478.jpg

USMC,

That setup looks very much like mine, except I dont have the hearth.  Thanks for the preview of what I will end up with.

I know the AV guys hate a TV too high, but I am a game watcher and some history channel.  Kids will suffer the most until I get them setup downstairs.

ETA:  BTW, is that Eldorado brand stone face on your FP?

That was my only hold up when I was figuring out how to wire the house up while it was being framed out. Now that the TV has been up there for a couple weeks, Im not regretting it. As long as your couches are far enough away it wont be an issue. Mine are set back far enough that I dont have to look up at it.

Im actually not sure what brand of stone that is, but it sounds familiar. I know that each company has specific styles that the send to a particular region. So it may or may not be offered where you live without a special order type scenario.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If it's what works with your room layout go for it.

The "Too high" argument is overblown IMO, a good TV mount will angle the TV down a bit and recliners raise your  natural line of sight to meet it.

My plasma has been above the gas fireplace for four years now and it's never been an issue.

This x2

I had a similar setup in my last home, TV didn't overheat, the height was no big deal with a tilt mount, and it looks great as for as room design goes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#48]
My wife is determined to make this happen in the one room that doesn't have a TV in it.  My question is, are there any wireless devices available to transmit the TV signal to the TV without me needing to tear up the drywall trying to get the cable to the TV?  That would simplify the whole project if I could just get something like that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Most of you guys don't have a "real" fireplace.  
A gas insert is not a fireplace.

A real fireplace will have some soot and smoke stains above the fireplace and on the mantle.
Real fireplaces are subject to the ind and to variables such as types of wood.

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Don't care for that look. Doesn't seem practical either. Neck craning.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top