Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 1:27:16 PM EDT
As with alot of things in the military we servicemen  doubt the honesty of those wonderful liberal desicion makers in our government. But this one is real. If yall know any severely wounded military men or women. Tell them to ask about the TSGLI program. Its for the ones of us that are permanately handicapped or have been through hell after being wounded. (Severely) I just got my payment of 75,000. Not much for a leg that doesnt work anymore but better than nothing. I did a forum history search and didnt find this info. Hope im not repeating anyones post.
                                         Best regards, Sgt G

http://www.insurance.va.gov/sgliSite/TSGLI/TSGLI.htm  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope your not repeating it.  I happen to work for Military Severely Injured Center (888) 774-1361.

Yes your right, $75,000 doesn't equate to much "payment" for a bum leg, but it's better than just being ignored.  Most of our larger Medical Treatment Facilities (Walter Reed, BAMC, Pendelton, Bragg, etc....) and some of the major VA centers have what is called a Counselor Advocate located there (this is my job).  We help the soldier wade through the paperwork to get the benefits the injured soldier needs & helps to cut through some of the 'red tape'.

I'm glad you got yours, pass the word along about this to everybody you meet.

Mark

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I sure would like some help myself. I havent contacted the VA yet and Im due to retire because of my Injuries here in a month or so.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Send me an email of your location.  I might be able to get you hooked up with somebody.

Mark
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it's better than nothing.  I just ran into a guy I knew at a medical holdover unit (I just had cancer, not a combat would) and he got a decent amount for his hand/arm that got messed up from an IED.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Depends upon when you were diagnosed if your eligible or not.  There have been cases where the soldier was eligible for a heart attack in theater.

Check with one of the Counselor Advocates for Military Severely Injured at the MTF, they might be able to help.  Or email me your location, I'll try to get you connected with someone.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:19:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I just posted some more details on this over on this thread.

I'm waiting for mine to go through. Not sure how much I'll get. I'm expecting about $50k.

BigSgtG, how "bum" is your leg that they gave you $75k? Mine's not so much bum... more likely it's well beyond decomposed in some Bio-Hazard landfill in Afghanistan though.

Seems TSGLI is exclusively for OEF/OIF vets so don't get your hopes up if you got messed up in Bosnia or something.

It's also SEVERELY wounded... blind, paralyzed, brain dead, amputated. Don't expect anything for a John Kerry-type injury even if you did get a Purple Owie for it.

If you haven't already you should also look into the VA benefits if nobody has given you much info on them. Like the adapative equipment for vehicles, the vehicle grant (I believe $9k when I got it), Chapter 31 (VocRehab), etc.

Salute America's Heroes is another organization that goes out of their way to thank wounded soldiers and help them out in any way they can.
Here's my experience with them.
Disabled OEF/OIF/GWoT Veterans: THIS IS A MUST READ!!! [Updated 12/22]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There have been cases where the soldier was eligible for a heart attack in theater.

Eligabe for TSGLI? That doesn't sound likely based on the TSGLI eligibility guidelines. A heart attack is not a traumatic "injury".

Here is the breakdown of what "they" consider traumatic injuries and what the "monetary value" of those injuries are.

Schedule of Payments for Traumatic Losses

I assume this is fairly updated. Which is why I was curious what the extent of BigSgtG's "bum" leg is to warrant $75k.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There have been cases where the soldier was eligible for a heart attack in theater.

Eligabe for TSGLI? That sounds like a crock of shit. A heart attack is not a traumatic "injury".

Here is the breakdown of what "they" consider traumatic injuries and what the "monetary value" of those injuries are.

Schedule of Payments for Traumatic Losses

I assume this is fairly updated. Which is why I was curious what the extent of BigSgtG's "bum" leg is to warrant $75k.

Hmmm, seems there is someone that is more aquainted with the TSGLI than I am.  Could happen, however, shooting your mouth off isn't the best way to receive info regarding these issues.  Or to gain credibility about the subject at hand.

If you have had a bad experience with the VA (I cannot read the thread, it's in archives & I don't have access) I feel for you.  However, bad experiences is why the MSIC is in existence.  To try to prevent these issues in the future.  

As for the "bum leg" comment, your out of line.  It's not your leg, so let it be.  He obviously qualified & it's also obvious, you don't know what your talking about.  Just stirring the brown smelly stuff I see.

Now that the insults are done & over with, I'm still willing to help if you need it.  If you want more info about "qualifications" regarding TSGLI, I will be happy to give them to you.  Either here on the thread, or privately via email.  If you still need assistance regarding an incident in a different theater, let me know.  I may be able to connect you with someone that will help.
You must remember TSGLI is an insurance program, similar to a "disablity insurance".  Not every situation will be exactly as the guidelines state.  There is a little bit of room for "judgement" in the decision making process.  That's why there is a process.

Again, if your done with the insults, I would be happy to help as I'm able.  Email me your address, I'll get in touch ASAP.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Could happen, however, shooting your mouth off isn't the best way to receive info regarding these issues.  Or to gain credibility about the subject at hand.

Who's shooting their mouth off? I'm simply calling BS on what seems to be an inaccurate statement based on the guidelines set for TSGLI. I'll change the wording to avoid any confusion though. That's why I first asked if the person received TSGLI or some other form of compensation for the heart attack.

I'm not looking to gain any credibility about the subject. I'm passing on what I know. Anyone who's used the internet, especially a discussion forum should know to take everything anyone says with agrain of salt. That goes ten fold around this particular forum.

If you have had a bad experience with the VA (I cannot read the thread, it's in archives & I don't have access) I feel for you.

No, the archived link is a very positive experience with the Salute America's Heroes organization. Just trying to pass on the good word about them to others.

As for the "bum leg" comment, your out of line.  It's not your leg, so let it be.  He obviously qualified & it's also obvious, you don't know what your talking about.  Just stirring the brown smelly stuff I see.

How am I out of line. He referred to it as a "bum" leg. I'm simply asking what his definition of a "bum" leg is? If his leg was amputated or severely broken. Again, based on the guildelines that I'm readin there is nothing for "broken" legs... only legs that have been amputated at or above the ankle. So I was more than curious how his one "bum" leg got him $75k when it states in the that link I provied

#40  Loss of one foot at or above ankle. $50,000

It concerns me directly as I'm expected to get what it says based on that and if there is something I left out of my application for benefits that would "reward" me with more than that I'd certainly like to know.

If I sound bitter it's simply because I hold a lot of resentment toward people who abuse the system to get compensation that they are not justly entitled to as well as the system itself which rewards BS claims or disabilities that are clearly not incurred from their time in the service.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#10]
An amputation is only one part of the TSGLI process.  How about recovery/rehab of losing that limb?  How about any coma's, hemiplegia related to the insult of the amputation.  These might be seperate events "according to TSGLI"

Don't be so defensive about what someone else is awarded by TSGLI.  Many soldiers I personally talk to feel "I'm not hurt near as bad as others, because I have all my parts".  Some have been awarded the max, some the minimum, some in between, a few have been denied an award.  It varies according to that particular injury.  They aren't out to get something they are not entitled to.  They aren't doing anything wrong, or unethical.  Their injuries are just different than yours.

We have to keep an eye on the big picture.  6 years ago there was nothing like this available to anyone!  Period!!!  There were NO programs like what's available now at the end of Gulf War I.  There never were any programs like this.  

These programs have a built in flexibility where some get more than others.  Your injury is different than others, similar to some.  However we are talking about one injury, maybe you had others you were not aware you could apply for.  Activities of Daily Living (ADL's) are a huge component of TSGLI.  So is coma, hemiplegia, burns & all the other areas assessed on the application.  These might be able to be classed as "seperate issues", which you would have to apply for individually.  Remember the minimum award is $25,000.00 the max is $100,000.00.

The last part of your post, "if I sound bitter"............a lot of us feel bitter about things that have happened in the past.  However, as we move past that bitterness, I for one have found a way to ensure someone else isn't screwed by the system.  I have a way to assist our injured servicemembers by using the tools provided.  He/she might have had someone assisting with the application process.  For whatever reason, he/she was awarded the amount recieved, you will be awarded the amount you recieve.  That's the reason I said, "your out of line".

My background is in the health care field.  I've been directly involved with rehabilitation for the past 15 years.  I know the in's/out's of federal rehabilitation programs.  With my prior military & healthcare experience, I am uniquely qualified to advocate for the injured service member.

Send me an email, I'll get back to you with some specific questions and answers.  Specifically directed at the ADL's section of the application.  The questions/answers may be of benefit to your situation.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Didnt expect to have to explain myself and I wont. I was just offering information to help other wounded folks. If your leg is amputated youll be taken care of. Also maybe youll notice the section called OTHER traumatic injuries. Since a Doctor has to sign off on it it has to be ligit. And maybe you would use your brains and consider the fact that their has to be records of the injury. You know MEDICAL records. DO you know what those are. What a jackass.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Didnt expect to have to explain myself and I wont.

I was only inquiring about your "bum" leg because I was curious what happened. That's all.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#13]
3-5 business days I should see it in my bank account.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Congratulations. Wonder if they will modify a motorcycle for me. Did you get the work done to your vehicle or did they just send you a check? I will be getting the Votec since SFAS is out of the picture now. And I didnt mean to be an ass its just that your not the only one that lost dreams or pieces Bro.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Ask around on the cycle thing. I asked a Harley dealer a while back if they could modify one and they said it was possible. There's also a cycle maker out there that makes an automatic transmission.

My friend, Chris Chandler, is a Right BKA and he's riding a Fat Boy.

I got the vehicle grant almost 3 years ago. I used it to buy our Caravan before my son was born. Then we got money back for the "adaptive equipment" (auto trans and A/C IIRC).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top