Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 7:41:53 AM EDT
I always wondered what happened to all the stuff people have to surrender when going through airport security...

TSA confiscated stuff

list of other confiscated goods

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#1]
government theft.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#2]
wheres the headscarfs, they should confiscate those to
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#3]
some of those are good deals!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
How would you propose they deal with it then?  Stupid people trying to bring knives onto planes deserve what they get, and security ain't free, so this is the result.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Do they have any box cutters?  

Oh, that's right, they missed those
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Just keep telling yourself that federalizing airport screeners automatically makes them professionals.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How would you propose they deal with it then?  Stupid people trying to bring knives onto planes deserve what they get, and security ain't free, so this is the result.  

Was I critiquing it?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Good way to fund projects

A friend of mine has a brother that works for TSA and last year he brought home a 55 gallon drum of knives and multi-tools
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was I critiquing it?

Sorry - should've quoted - not you, Hound...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#10]
no prob - might be a good time to buy Leatherman or Victorinox stock (if the nimrods have to keep replacing their multitools & SAK's every time they fly)
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
government theft.

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
government theft.

yup
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
government theft.

yup

But its for your own good.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

A friend of mine has a brother that works for TSA and last year he brought home a 55 gallon drum of knives and multi-tools

Uh, yeah, if you don't mind profiting from stolen goods, then yes, it's a good way to fund something.  I look at this with the same disdain that I look at those seized vehicle auctions.  Fine, some cars are reposessed, but most are simply taken by the state based on property forfeiture laws.  Pretty sad.

Just remember, if it can happen to someone else, it can happen to you, too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, yeah, if you don't mind profiting from stolen goods, then yes, it's a good way to fund something.  I look at this with the same disdain that I look at those seized vehicle auctions.  Fine, some cars are reposessed, but most are simply taken by the state based on property forfeiture laws.  Pretty sad.

Just remember, if it can happen to someone else, it can happen to you, too.

The TSA should provide a way for you to retain your personal possesions, either by having availabe (at a fee) a postage paid mailer you can drop the offending article in, or boxes available that one can rent to store ones goods.

Anything else is theft.

I am going to follow these auctions and report them as theft to Ebay, just for fun, lets see what happens.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Taking any items from law abiding citizens does not make safety. Hell I wish they would issue machetes upon boarding.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Read the description of the items from eBay!

"This property is from items surrendered (voluntarily) to the NTSA at various airports that have been released to the City of Boulder City for disposal via internet auction in accordance with all federal, state and local laws."

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I forgot to take out my multi tool before getting on a plane.  TSA stopped me and the guy walked me to the post office counter to mail it to myself.  It was a cheapie and I told him I'd just surrender it but he practically insisted that I mail it to myself so I did.  This was in New Orleans.

I think the existance TSA airport screeners are just an expensive feel-good move by the gov but at least this guy was polite and reasonable as could be expected.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
some of those are good deals!

+1 Damn straight there are some very good deals there. I think I'll have to add them to my wtch list.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#20]
My father got on a plane from CA to WI a few weeks ago.  Forgot to remove his lil' swiss army knife keychain before going through screening.  NTSA officer noticed it and said they'd either confiscate it, he could take it to his vehicle or mail it home (if he vehicle wasn't there).  He took it back to his car.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Well that's one way to reduce the deficit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
government theft.

+1

+2
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My father got on a plane from CA to WI a few weeks ago.  Forgot to remove his lil' swiss army knife keychain before going through screening.  NTSA officer noticed it and said they'd either confiscate it, he could take it to his vehicle or mail it home (if he vehicle wasn't there).  He took it back to his car.

Yep, that's the policy now.  Early on, though, I'm pretty sure that the policy was confiscation or not fly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

"This property is from items surrendered (voluntarily) to the NTSA at various airports that have been released to the City of Boulder City for disposal via internet auction in accordance with all federal, state and local laws."

YOu can be arrested, or 'voluntarily' surrender it...

Like you REALLY have a choice...
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the situation is that they find a knife/tool and you have the option of returning it to the car, etc. or just giving it up.  Not to hard to figure that most people would say "F-it" and give it up.  At least this is what I read in an article a while back.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#26]
You can't bring fire on the plane .
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Make it available for them to mail it back to their home address. Make them pay for it, but make it available.

Other wise, yes, it's government theft!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

yea it is called a lighter!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yea it is called a lighter!!!

Some one missed a good thread.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make it available for them to mail it back to their home address. Make them pay for it, but make it available.

Other wise, yes, it's government theft!

Oh yeah - make more bureaucracy because some bonehead forget he brought a switchblade to the airport - just think, people!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#33]
ya'll wanted the gubmit in charge of airport security (oxymorn, I'm sure)!

becarefull what you ask for, you just may get it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#34]

ya'll wanted the gubmit in charge of airport security (oxymorn, I'm sure)!

Actually, the AIRLINES wanted the .gov put in charge of security.  It took a huge expense off of them & put it right on us taxpayers.  More .gov subsidies for rich corporations.  Further, even if the airline industry is in financial trouble, why do I have to pay for it if I choose not to fly?  FWIW, I have made quite a few long drives in the last year just to avoid the airlines & their piss poor service.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Erm, last time I was in an airport, there were pre-paid mailers available at every junkshop in the concourse so you could mail the stuff back to yourself.  They were a little expensive ($5?) but they would get the job done.  This was the case in Newark, Baltimore, and New Orleans.

Now Charles DeGaulle they were REAL pricks at.  Since the ban on luggage locks, I use zip ties on my luggage while flying (and keep locks in the bag for hotel rooms and the like).  Some asshole french rentacop demanded I pop the ties.  I didn't have anything to pop them with, though he had a sheath knife on his belt.  I asked for his help or the use of his knife, he refused with a big smile.  I ended up spending 5 mins wrestling with the tie and a bic pen, which eventually got me through.  I wasn't sad to see that place collapse, that's for damn sure.  Dominican security are very nice though.. Firm, but polite and personable while they're rifling through your dirty britches.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Is this any different than government auto auctions?

I'd have to say if you are dumb enough to try to get on a plane with one of these knives you get what you deserve.

Those are some pretty great deals. If you could get an assortment of knives for that cheap you could resell them either on eBay or at a flea market and easily double your money.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I'd have to say if you are dumb enough to try to get on a plane with one of these knives you get what you deserve.

I carry a pocket multi-tool every day of my life.  It's like putting on underwear.  If you forget, it is your fault and responsibility, but you are quite far from an idiot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
why do I have to pay for it if I choose not to fly?

Same reason some people pay education taxes but home school their kids. Or why we have to pay into welfare but could give a rats ass about all the crack whores out there who milk it.

The operative phrase here is "have to". If we could chose what we did and didn't shell out our hard earned money for we'd live in a democracy, not a republic. The needs of the stupid far outweigh the need of everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
government theft.

Its exactly what it is.  If there are any profits, they should go towards charities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top