Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/14/2010 5:18:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2010 5:19:11 PM EDT by Backstop]
Not for one mother fucking second do I believe TRICARE will survive longterm with Obamacare.

Well, it may survive. But finding a provider to take it will another thing all together.

http://www.military.com/military-report/action-needed-to-fix-tricare

Action Needed to Fix TRICARE
Week of April 12, 2010

As of April 1, 2010, Medicare and TRICARE payments to physicians were cut by 21 percent. The reduced payment rate may result in fewer doctors being willing to accept TRICARE, which could leave millions of seniors and military beneficiaries without a primary care provider. Organizations like the Military Officers Association of America are urging the Senate to pass H.R. 4851 which would extend the current payment rate until May 1, 2010. The Senate is considering taking action on H.R. 4851 but it is being delayed over technical budget details.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:41:23 PM EDT
True dat. All those Kennedy Democrat seniors who voted for Obama en masse are about to learn what their vote means when they have a hard time finding a doctor/hospital willing to accept Medicare.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:44:20 PM EDT
Starting tomorrow, I will stop seeing Medicare and Tricare new patients.
This sucks, but I just cannot do it anymore. Loss of money per each visit is unreal.

BT.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:46:36 PM EDT
IIRC, this is the "doc fix" issue that was carved out of the HCR bill to get it in under a trillion dollars.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:47:19 PM EDT
In before some retard says MDs make too much already.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:47:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BlueTommy:
This sucks, but I just cannot do it anymore. Loss of money per each visit is unreal.

BT.

You'll hear no anger from me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:51:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By El-cid:
True dat. All those Kennedy Democrat seniors who voted for Obama en masse are about to learn what their vote means when they have a hard time finding a doctor/hospital willing to accept Medicare.

Good.

Voting has repercussions.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll be so mad, we can get the Dems out of power.

I dream alot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:52:58 PM EDT
The Senate will vote on this in the next few days...or at least an extension of the cut until after June 1 (rather than May 1).

Medicare isn't paying claims yet....at all. They are holding claims until the Senate decides to do something (so they don't process the claims then reprocess when they rescind the cuts).

Tricare is based on Medicare rates....so the cut is both Medicare and Tricare.

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:54:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By wingnutx:
IIRC, this is the "doc fix" issue that was carved out of the HCR bill to get it in under a trillion dollars.

Funny how they did that.

I'd really like to see factual info on how mil folks voted.

And I mean factual; not some poll the AF/Army/Navy Times did.

What I do have is info from a few folks.

I have friends in the mil, family in the mil, I play hockey with quite a few mil folks, I have civ friends that work for the mil, etc.

And the majority of them are not happy, and they tell me the majority of their co-workers are not happy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:55:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AFARR:
The Senate will vote on this in the next few days...or at least an extension of the cut until after June 1 (rather than May 1).

Medicare isn't paying claims yet....at all. They are holding claims until the Senate decides to do something (so they don't process the claims then reprocess when they rescind the cuts).

Tricare is based on Medicare rates....so the cut is both Medicare and Tricare.

AFARR

Good info - thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:56:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2010 5:56:49 PM EDT by BlackRifle76]
I can tell you that a lot of doctors don't want to take Tricare, this is even going to make it worse.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 5:59:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BlackRifle76:
I can tell you that a lot of doctors don't want to take Tricare, this is even going to make it worse.

12 yrs ago when I finally came back to the States, I settled on living near San Antonio.

Only see a doc maybe 1-2 times a year, and I'm able to go to a mil base.

Wonder if that will be affected?

On another note, wonder if Delta Dental will see any changes?
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:00:14 PM EDT
I have tricare, and did not realize that it paid medicare rates.

I may go back to my primary employer's insurance next year when open enrollment rolls around.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:00:48 PM EDT

BT.

Good for you. Seriously. Your services are not a charity.... that said... Neither should you expect the cost of your services to remain artificially high (more than the market can bear). Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:02:26 PM EDT

BT.

I don't blame you a bit.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:07:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By valheru21:
Snip..... that said... Neither should you expect the cost of your services to remain artificially high (more than the market can bear). Just food for thought.

What is "artificially high"...is that expecting to get paid more than a plumber makes an hour for the Dr's time? Maybe more than an Attorney charges an hour?

Medicare pays LESS than that (as does Tricare and most other insurances)...especially when you factor in the overhead (documentation, office space, billing requirements, malpractice, etc. etc. etc.)
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:09:16 PM EDT

BT.

I'm retired, on Tricare. I have no problems with this.

I DO have problems with congress critters thinking they can dictate how much things cost, or whether or not a doctor can charge what is needed in order to run their business.

If a doctor chooses to offer services as a charity, that's his/ her business, not congress'.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:15:31 PM EDT
Val,
I guess 4 years of honors work in undergrad, 4 years of top 10% in medical school, 5 years of 110+ hours of work per week and 1 year of fellowship at 120 hours per week with an average of $1.70 paid per hour don't mean much. fuck it man, my rates are based on a thing called the "usual and customary" fee rate. Iook it up and good luck finding a surgeon that you can pay pennies for what she or he is worth. If you start today, it will take 15 or more years to increase the supply of doctors.

Do it yourself next time you smash a wrist or femur and cannot function. Do you think that it is worth more than 300 bucks to fix that? Stack that against the fact that I could lose it all if you sue me b/c it is not a good result and you had sand in your mangina?

Going and gone are the all american surgeons....work hard, play hard, do a great job and take pride in it.
Do you think for a second any UAW member or teacher would ever do anything like I did to get paid?
When did they ever stay up all night to privide indigent care?
Get real, the tipping point is here and America is missing it,

BT.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:28:12 PM EDT
Val,
I guess 4 years of honors work in undergrad, 4 years of top 10% in medical school, 5 years of 110+ hours of work per week and 1 year of fellowship at 120 hours per week with an average of $1.70 paid per hour don't mean much. fuck it man, my rates are based on a thing called the "usual and customary" fee rate. Iook it up and good luck finding a surgeon that you can pay pennies for what she or he is worth. If you start today, it will take 15 or more years to increase the supply of doctors.

Do it yourself next time you smash a wrist or femur and cannot function. Do you think that it is worth more than 300 bucks to fix that? Stack that against the fact that I could lose it all if you sue me b/c it is not a good result and you had sand in your mangina?

Going and gone are the all american surgeons....work hard, play hard, do a great job and take pride in it.
Do you think for a second any UAW member or teacher would ever do anything like I did to get paid?

BT.

Dude, I am not saying you should get paid like a janitor... and avoid preaching to me about schooling - wings are as much effort and work as an MD - I promise you. (Being a pilot is often an "over-paid" position... until you have to put a JDAM between some asshole's eyes or both engines quit and you dead-stick an A330 into a river... saving everyone on board). Did you miss the part where I am applauding you for taking a stand even though refusing tricare may be unpopular?!? WTF! Reading is fundamental. Hell, my wife sees civilian docs, and the INSTANT T.H.E.Y. proposed Health Care, I told her that the era of good health care for .mil dependents is over. You and I are on the same side... I simply think that medical insurance is the singular reason that health care (and your overhead) is so damn high in the US. If you worked for cash, you would be paid less... but probably keep a lot more.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:47:13 PM EDT
As of April 1, 2010, Medicare and TRICARE payments to physicians were cut by 21 percent. The reduced payment rate may result in fewer doctors being willing to accept TRICARE, which could leave millions of seniors and military beneficiaries without a primary care provider.

Isn't that just super.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2010 6:56:35 PM EDT by BangStick1]
I'm sure the Kenyan will simply mandate doctors take patients in gov't programs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 7:12:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2010 7:40:02 PM EDT by JAFFE]

Originally Posted By BangStick1:
...mandate doctors take patients in gov't programs.

And I think that will be the point some doctors make a decision about remaining doctors.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 7:14:09 PM EDT

...from Atlas Shrugged.

"I quit when medicine was placed under State control, some years ago," said Dr. Hendricks. "Do you know what it takes to perform a brain operation? Do you know the kind of skill it demands, and the years of passionate, merciless, excruciating devotion that go to acquire that skill? That was what I would not place at the disposal of men whose sole qualification to rule me was their capacity to spout the fraudulent generalities that got them elected to the privilege of enforcing their wishes at the point of a gun. I would not let them dictate the purpose for which my years of study had been spent, or the conditions of my work, or my choice of patients, or the amount of my reward.

I observed that in all the discussions that preceded the enslavement of medicine, men discussed everything-except the desires of the doctors. Men considered only the 'welfare' of the patients, with no thought for those who were to provide it. That a doctor should have any right, desire or choice in the matter, was regarded as irrelevant selfishness; his is not to choose, they said, only 'to serve.' That a man who's willing to work under compulsion is too dangerous a brute to entrust with a job in the stockyards-never occurred to those who proposed to help the sick by making life impossible for the healthy.

I have often wondered at the smugness with which people assert their right to enslave me, to control my work, to force my will, to violate my conscience, to stifle my mind-yet what is it that they expect to depend on, when they lie on an operating table under my hands? Their moral code has taught them to believe that it is safe to rely on the virtue of their victims.

Well, that is the virtue I have withdrawn. Let them discover the kind of doctors that their system will now produce. Let them discover, in their operating rooms and hospital wards, that it is not safe to place their lives in the hands of a man whose life they have throttled. It is not safe, if he is the sort of man who resents it-and still less safe, if he is the sort who doesn't."
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 7:47:10 PM EDT
think I will go down to Texas, walk across the border and then sneak back into the states and declare myself an illegal. They are treated much better than our mil. folks. I am truely ashamed of the elected leaders of this country.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 7:56:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By trenchgun:
think I will go down to Texas, walk across the border and then sneak back into the states and declare myself an illegal. They are treated much better than our mil. folks. I am truely ashamed of the elected leaders of this country.

Sad thing is, if you get caught, you will spend some time in federal prison. Isn't that some shit?

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:02:38 PM EDT

BT.

Good for you. Seriously. Your services are not a charity.... that said... Neither should you expect the cost of your services to remain artificially high (more than the market can bear). Just food for thought.

My reading and comprehension seems prettygood... and I take that comment to be a slam also.... a kind that one can always brush off as the offended party "misinterpreted" the intent.

if you are so educated, why don't you go and find out how most doctor's rate schedules are set up, before you start doing liberal like attacks.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:04:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2010 8:10:42 PM EDT by valheru21]
Originally Posted By cm:

BT.

My reading and comprehension seems prettygood... and I take that comment to be a slam also.... a kind that one can always brush off as the offended party "misinterpreted" the intent.

if you are so educated, why don't you go and find out how most doctor's rate schedules are set up, before you start doing liberal like attacks.

I assure you, that is not the case. No ill intent was meant. I personally think prices for medical care are artificially high... BECAUSE of the insurance. I also think that, if insurance falls apart (like it's about to do), the prices of health care will come down to a more reasonable level because the market will not bear the cost when the patients have to pay for their own healthcare instead of the insurance... and doctors will end up keeping more of what they earn instead of paying it to absurd overhead.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:07:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BangStick1:
I'm sure the Kenyan will simply mandate doctors take patients in gov't programs.

So slavery is back?

-Brian
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:09:55 PM EDT
Well. I think the number of doctors that accept my pregnant wife's health care just dropped.

It's hard enough finding a doctor who takes Tricare w/o this shit.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:10:15 PM EDT
FUCK.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:14:33 PM EDT

Fuck me. I go to fucking war, narrowly survive and this is how I'm rewarded?

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:15:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cm:

BT.

Val, I got what you were saying. Of course, I have TWO doctoral degrees.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:15:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cm:

BT.

I assure you, that is not the case. No ill intent was meant. I personally think prices for medical care are artificially high... BECAUSE of the insurance. I also think that, if insurance falls apart (like it's about to do), the prices of health care will come down to a more reasonable level because the market will not bear the cost when the patients have to pay for their own healthcare instead of the insurance... and doctors will end up keeping more of what they earn instead of paying it to absurd overhead.

It may have come out wrong but I get what you are saying. I was scheduling a chiropractic massage today and the shop charges $100 per hour cash or $180 per hour with Insurance.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:20:12 PM EDT
I pay for all my health care in cash these days and I maintain my wife's insurance through COBRA. My health care costs have gotten significantly cheaper. I am keeping a plan for catastrophic care but for everything else I pay in cash.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:20:14 PM EDT
It amazes me that the .gov wants such huge price breaks or they just won't pay at all.

If there were no insurance, people would have to take more accountability for their health. They may eat better, exercise more, etc. They probably wouldn't just pop to the office for any little thing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:28:43 PM EDT
Val,

BT.

Dude, I am not saying you should get paid like a janitor... and avoid preaching to me about schooling - wings are as much effort and work as an MD - I promise you. (Being a pilot is often an "over-paid" position... until you have to put a JDAM between some asshole's eyes or both engines quit and you dead-stick an A330 into a river... saving everyone on board). Did you miss the part where I am applauding you for taking a stand even though refusing tricare may be unpopular?!? WTF! Reading is fundamental. Hell, my wife sees civilian docs, and the INSTANT T.H.E.Y. proposed Health Care, I told her that the era of good health care for .mil dependents is over. You and I are on the same side... I simply think that medical insurance is the singular reason that health care (and your overhead) is so damn high in the US. If you worked for cash, you would be paid less... but probably keep a lot more.

The Naval aviation pipeline is 4 years, plus an undergraduate degree... yes?

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:33:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2010 8:34:35 PM EDT by valheru21]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Val,

BT.

The Naval aviation pipeline is 4 years, plus an undergraduate degree... yes?

Roughly. And then there's the RAG... and then there's your first squadron (which is a LOT like residency ).
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2010 8:36:17 PM EDT by nick89302]
Tricare's reimbursement is shitty right now, good luck finding a doc who'll take it in the future.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:42:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By nick89302:
Tricare's reimbursement is shitty right now, good luck finding a doc who'll take it in the future.

Been that way for years.

When I was leaving AD and out hunting for jobs, I kept seeing these "We do NOT accept Tricare" signs in private docs' offices. I was on the .mil side, so I didn't understand what the problem was... so I asked.

Boy... did I get my ear filled... low reimbursements... red tape... taking forever to get paid... very few civilian docs have great things to say about Tricare. Some take it just out of a sense of patriotic duty, but Tricare is not a great payor.

Plus some of the administrative and downright dangerous medical shenanigans I've seen them pull. I could tell you stories...
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 8:56:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/14/2010 9:04:29 PM EDT by cm]

Originally Posted By cm:

BT.

my apologies, then............

we have had several threads, which have become attacks on doctors, because, in one way or another, it is perceived that doctors make more money than they are worth, don't care about patients, and shouldn't be doctors, if they won't care for any patient who walks through their door, regardless of how much the doctor will be paid for treating the patient.

As a way of explaining fee schedules....

Medicare, and medicaid rates, are governed by CMS - center for medicare and medicaid services. They set the base rate for all services a patient recieves. This rate is modified, based on population densities, location, the number of doctors in an area, and the demand for services. You can look up the rates yourself, if you can figure out how to wade through all the layers on the CMS web site.

Insurance PAYS usually a few percentage above the rates set by medicare and medicaid. That means that their rates are tied closely to what medicare and medicaid pays. The rate is usually negotiated between the insurance company, and the doctor or doctor's group. If you have a large group, you have more power in negotiating a higher rate.

That said, what a doctor gets paid for, by an insurance company, will be around 10% above what medicare would pay for the same service. That is, what the insurance company pays + the patient co-pay = about 110% of medicare....

What the paper rate that is charged for services, is never what an insurance company pays.... that is why you can often ask for a cash payment, and you would receive a discount off the listed price for a service, because they will give you a rate close to what they get from insurance, PLUS they don't have to wait for the money.....

What happened here, is, that bho and everyone in the upper echelon, basically told everyone there would be no change under healthcare reform to tricare...

http://blogs.stripes.com/blogs/stripes-central/health-care-bill-wont-impact-tricare-va-health-programs

Late last night Kevin posted this comment from Defense Secretary Robert Gates, promising that any national health care changes "will not negatively impact" the Tricare system. Earlier in the day, VA Secretary Eric Shinseki released a similar statement noting that the new bill "will provide the protections afforded our nation’s veterans and the health care they have earned through their service."
UPDATE: Another view, this time from American Legion National Commander Clarence Hill: “As late as 9 p.m. last evening, I was on the telephone with House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer and we spoke candidly about The American Legion’s concerns. Based on that conversation, the transcripts of hearings, assurances from the President and Secretary themselves, I am 100-percent confident that Congress will act responsibly as regards the nation’s veterans and their families."

http://www.navytimes.com/benefits/health/military_tricare_health_reform_040810w/

Tricare and health reform: What it could mean in the long run

By William H. McMichael - Staff writer
<form id="hidden"> <input type="hidden" value="Tricare and health reform: What it could mean in the long run" id="headline" /> <input type="hidden" value="You have been sent an online news article as a courtesy of www.navytimes.com. To view the contents go to:" id="body" /> <input type="hidden" value="http://www.navytimes.com/benefits/health/military_tricare_health_reform_040810w/" id="url" /> </form>
Defense officials insist that the new national health care reform law has no direct effect on Tricare — but some analysts say indirect effects eventually may surface.

Tricare benefits will not be affected at all by the passage of reform,” Charles Rice, acting assistant secretary of defense for health affairs, said at a March 24 congressional hearing — the day after President Obama signed the bill into law.

But many aspects of reform don’t kick in for months or even years — the mandate to provide coverage to 32 million uninsured Americans, for example, doesn’t begin until 2014.

That creates uncertainty about whether additional unintended consequences could emerge to affect Tricare down the line.

On its Web site, Tricare acknowledged as much, saying it had “not received official notification” about the impact that the new law could have on beneficiaries. But in a subsequent news release, it said the law “will have no adverse effects on our program” and notes the reform law leaves Tricare operating under its existing separate law, under Pentagon authority.

Worries about rising fees

One particular concern is rising fees. Tricare’s reimbursement rates to private caregivers generally are tied to those of Medicare, and many doctors say Medicare’s reimbursement rates already are too low.

That raises concerns that the Pentagon may one day have to shore up Tricare’s reimbursement rates by increasing its already considerable funding support for the program or raising patients’ fees and co-pays — or both — to keep private-sector doctors from dropping Tricare-eligible patients if they think they can make more money treating the influx of private-sector patients that will be generated by the reform law.

Of course, they didn't directly lie, they just fudged what they said, just like everything else concerned with the healthcare bill.

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 9:00:24 PM EDT
Medicare and Tricare have been the "public option" all along. It was just restricted, however, Obama will see to lifting that restriction to include all people and mandatory. That is his foot in the door hold for his beloved "public option".
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 9:01:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RedDogSoldier:
Well. I think the number of doctors that accept my pregnant wife's health care just dropped.

It's hard enough finding a doctor who takes Tricare w/o this shit.

I can pretty much guarantee I'm going to get two letters in the next week –– from my wife's doctor and my kid's doctor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 9:08:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Originally Posted By nick89302:

Been that way for years.

I kept tricare for simplicity's sake after my last MOB. Looks like that was a mistake.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 9:18:16 PM EDT
I received a form letter from my Tricare doctor, his office states that he will not be taking any new Tricare patients, he will continue to see current Tricare patients with no interruption in medical services.
Tricare patients with long term health care issues are encouraged to make an appointment with the doctors office to discuss any issues that may arise from the new health care plan.

I foresee a shitload of dependents bum-rushing military medical clinics to get in before they all fill up.

I also foresee that military medical care for dependents and retirees will go the way of military dental care for dependents and retirees (none).
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 9:23:32 PM EDT
Doctors will have to keep taking tricare or otherwise all the liberal veterans will be up in arms.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 9:25:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FrankyDerp:
Doctors will have to keep taking tricare or otherwise all the liberal veterans will be up in arms.

?
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 6:02:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wingnutx:

?

Same same.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 6:12:01 AM EDT

"Liberal" veterans are a distinct minority in the retired/vet population.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 6:17:53 AM EDT
So I was thinking about signing up for Tricare Reserve Select, so I take it I should go private insurance? What insurance companies are out there that are good? Im 23, have two dependents.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 6:29:40 AM EDT
But like the commissary its a "benefit" they love to entice you with during re-up time. What a fucking joke.

As a 12 year service veteran, I think that the military should have civilian insurance like other federal agencies, and 401k savings instead of the "if you don't do 20 you get nothing" bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 6:33:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/15/2010 6:34:02 AM EDT by Backstop]
Originally Posted By regalrocket:
But like the commissary its a "benefit" they love to entice you with during re-up time. What a fucking joke.

I shop at the commissary except for fruit and vegs, and have routinely seen items selling for much less than off base, and have even found stuff half price. Plus there's no sales tax - there is that surcharge thing, though.

As a 12 year service veteran, I think that the military should have civilian insurance like other federal agencies, and 401k savings instead of the "if you don't do 20 you get nothing" bullshit.

Don't AD folks have some kinda "savings" thing going now?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top