Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2005 3:28:43 AM EDT
i drive a truck locally for a living and these people are starting to piss me off. they dont pay attention at all to the road and their usually crawling like a snail or hitting their brakes for no apparent reason. i can always tell when someones on the phone now and its really irritating.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:37:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:42:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes when I am on my cell phone talking and driving, I complain to the person whom I am speaking to that there is a big, fat truck driving in a lane where it shouldn't be driving and it seems really ignorant that they stay there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]
you gotta come out to the bay area, im right in the heart of silicone valley and its rediculous how many drivers are on the phone. if i were to say it would be 1 out of every 3, beleive me i look for the bastards.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:44:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sometimes when I am on my cell phone talking and driving, I complain to the person whom I am speaking to that there is a big, fat truck driving in a lane where it shouldn't be driving and it seems really ignorant that they stay there.

yep thats me, sort of like a protest march against cell phonage
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Get rid of automatic transmissions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Bad drivers are bad drivers.

I talk on my cell occasionally while driving, but I do not hesitate to drop my phone if something needs immediate attention.  While using my phone, I still maintain constant speeds, follow at safe distances, and signal any lane changes.

Take a look next time you drive at any of those little concrete dividers between roads (the ones that are about 8" high.  Those things have ALWAYS been getting hit, way before cell phones.  Bad drivers are out there, always have.  Some use their cell phone when driving, others don't.  Both are just as dangerous.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:06:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yeah or like the UPS driver I called in and complained about the other day, driving a big truck and merging from one interstate lane into the other (that I was driving in the thru lane in) and automatically presuming he had the hright of way (which is not so according to driving laws..the merging lane yields to thru traffic) and went ahead and just started coming over on me (and me without an opening to move to).

Hope he got his ass chewed for that one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:22:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I would have to say the most dangerous thing on the roads today is any old asian female driving a Mercedes while talking on the cell phone.Soccer moms in the Costco transportation vehicle comes a close second though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:24:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have used my cell while driving on occasion.  At least when I do, I have the sense to dial while stopped at a light, and I give my priority to the traffic, not the call.  If traffic starts to get weird, I stop hearing what the person on the phone is saying, deal with the road situation, and then say, "Sorry, I missed that last thing you said."  It's not that difficult.

That said, one time I was driving down a little access road in front of a shopping center while on the phone, and I stopped behind a truck on the road for about 10 seconds before I realized the truck was parked, not stopped at a stopsign.  So even I occasionally go into "autopilot" while using a cell, and I consider myself better-than-average while on the phone (but who doesn't?).  They do affect driving, even to those who don't think it does (formerly me).  That little incident woke me up a bit, and I almost never use my cell while driving now, and if I ever do, I keep the conversations under a minute.

I don't think they should be banned, but their use should be limited to short, important calls, not chatting with a friend the whole trip home because "driving is boring".
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#10]
rear-end crashes would drop by 98% if cell phones were banned on the road
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So why were there so many rear-end crashes before cell phones?

Or are you saying there weren't?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I work in a college town, and all the little sorority girls drive around in their SUVs while yapping on the phone and with others in the vehicle. It doesn't help that they drive too damn fast and don't even think of giving a signal either. It pisses me off big time. I just told my wife yesterday it's easier to count the ones who aren't talking while driving.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#13]
ban them, even if a few people can drive using them most can't.
And they should make the cell phone companies pay a major tax for scaring up the landscape. Around here where we have hills and mountains they stick out like a sore thumb.
I could get on a big rant about cell phones and power companies, ect.,
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Everybody thinks they are a good driver, with or without cell phones.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They did that here. £80 fine if you're caught.
Doesn't stop people though

Mark
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:04:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Bad drivers are bad drivers.

I talk on my cell occasionally while driving, but I do not hesitate to drop my phone if something needs immediate attention.  While using my phone, I still maintain constant speeds, follow at safe distances, and signal any lane changes.

Take a look next time you drive at any of those little concrete dividers between roads (the ones that are about 8" high.  Those things have ALWAYS been getting hit, way before cell phones.  Bad drivers are out there, always have.  Some use their cell phone when driving, others don't.  Both are just as dangerous.

I agree.  

I've been a police officer for 23+ years.  I started way before cell phones were ever used.  Bad drivers will always be bad drivers.  Distracted drivers will always be distracted.  

I work on the beach.  Part of my jurisdiction has a two lane road.  We have always had rear-end crashes.  The drivers are distracted by everything and anything.  

The worst are the drivers that are going twice the speed limit.  When you stop them, they tell you they’re lost.    They're looking for their destination.  Most of them have raced right by the destination because they're going too fast to see the signs.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:18:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Girl on a cell phone rear ended me in May while talking on her cell phone. I saw her coming, but not stopping and had no place to go. Had 2 car lengths between me and the person in front so all I could do was close the distance without hitting the person in front. $2300 in damage to my Dakota that was completely covered by her insurance, fixed by the best shop and looks and drives like new.

Totaled her car.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:29:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:36:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Hang up and drive!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't understand why people don't just get a headset.

I have to use a headset if I want to talk on my cell and drive. I have a manual transmission. It's impossible to drive and talk at the same time with a manual...well...almost.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm on my phone all the time while on the road.  I use a headset though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So rear end collisions have increased by 5000% since the introduction of cell phones??
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#23]
The other day I saw a guy riding a motorcycle talking on a cell phone...  Now that was a first for me!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#24]
The most obvious example of this happened the other day on 285.  I was towards the rear of a cluster of cars in the left lane doing about 90.  All of a sudden we slowed to 65.

We all get out into the next lane or two over and start passing...

Guess what.... Dildo boy who had been leading the pack doing 90 is now ON THE CELL PHONE.  The millisecond he picked the phone up out of his ManBag, his brain went to talk mode from drive mode.

A few minutes later, who is on my ass.....doing 90 again???  Need you ask...Dildo Boy with no phone glued to his metrosexual head.

This is just a real clear example of TWI.

As a pilot I am used to conversing, transmitting important info in short chunks...not babbling on about what I want for dinner.  Most people on the road conduct their enitre lives while driving on the phone.

Recipe for disaster.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:55:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Typical cell phone conversation:  "hi honey, yup, I'm in the meat department.  Now I am going to the vegetable department.  OK, now I should I buy two tomatoes?..............."

Same with driving:  "yup.  Driving.  I'm driving.  Still driving.  Shit, that dude almost hit me.  That light wasn't red when I went into the intersection.  Ok, still driving.  Driving some more.  Ok, now I will hang up and you call me back".

Mindless bullshit drivel.  Asshats talking on the phone to be an attention whore.  What people don't realize is that phones, like tattoos--EVERYBODY HAS THEM!  You are not unique or special, your show doesn't make you important or special, or a social butterfly.  Hang up and get the fuck out of the way!

I have a cell, and when I am on it, it is an emergency.  An entire week can go by without my phone ringing, and I don't shop on the phone, and I usually pull off the road when I get a call.  If the emergency is extended, I use a hands free device.

Hang up and drive, mindless attention whores!!!

I know it is no use to rant.  Attention whores never look in the mirror.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#26]
There has only been one time where a phone conversation distracted me to the point that I couldn't drive, "...your Mom has cancer, it's bad..." Good thing I was in my office at the time.

There will always be bad drivers. Ban the cell phones and what is next the radio, conversation with passengers, chewing gum? Where will it stop...distracted drivers will be distracted by anything. My wife screams at me for being distracted by birds, well I'm an avid waterfowler and I notice every duck and goose in the air or on the water. Never hit someone while looking at a duck but that'll happen before any cell phone conversation gets me in a accident.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Part of the brain that is needed for depth perception, timing, and awareness is shut down or diverted when on the phone.  Keep talking.  Make sure you are well insured, if not, you might lose your house, all for trying to look cool cellin' with the gangsta lean, fo shizzle.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm not going to blame the phones either.  Some people just aren't paying attention and I get pissed when either the wife or I are regularly threatened in parking lots or street crossings by these negligent idiots.  I don't care whether it's junior, a latte, a donut, the paper, the radio, a cell phone or their trunk monkey needs some water.

It's pretty scary watching some people on a phone in the car.  They're acting just like it was a phone at home or the office and getting emotional with their body language and gestures.  

I was thinking about getting one of those airhorns but reconsidered.  Unfortunately only an accident will change their behavior, if that.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#29]

cellphones don't bother me too much.  People who don't pay attention while on a phone are the same people that don't pay attention anyway.  The phone just gives other drivers an outlet for their anger.

I find that truck drivers are the most inconsiderate and consistantly bad drivers around.
One would think that with all that time behind the wheel they would get better.
For example, why do truck drivers (big rigs)  try to pass a slower vehicle going uphill?
They end up driving 45 mph in the passing lane on the interstate.
It drives me nuts!  but, maybe I'm wrong

p.s. If you are a truck driver and are courtious and know the limitations of your truck, then this doesn't apply to you
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#30]
talking on a cell phone is a privilege.  
And so is driving, so why can't I do both at the same time.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:57:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
talking on a cell phone is a privilege.  
And so is driving, so why can't I do both at the same time.

Because you suck at it, that's why.

Yesterday on my bicycle at a highway intersection, which is controlled by a light, some half-wit was sitting on the line in her sedan yapping on her cell phone about what makeup shade to use, and the light was green I might add, holding up the whole line of cars. I ride up on the right side of the column, slap her window and yell "Wakeup!". She peeled out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
It's pretty scary watching some people on a phone in the car.  They're acting just like it was a phone at home or the office and getting emotional with their body language and gestures.  

This is what I don't understand.   Some people can't talk on the phone without hand gestures, and some even wedge the phone between their shoulder and ear, so they can use both hands to gesture.   I have watched in disbelief while my wife has done this on numerous occasions.

People are fucking crazy.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:06:55 AM EDT
[#33]
The other day I saw a guy blathering on TWO cell phones while driving.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The other day I saw a guy riding a motorcycle talking on a cell phone...  Now that was a first for me!

I saw someone doing that a couple of months ago.  I did a double-take.  I hope he didn't need to use his clutch anytime soon.  What a dumbass.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#35]
I always get defensive when this subject comes up, because I always presume that people are calling for another law. If you guys are simply venting over piss poor driving and nothing more, I'm fine with it.

I was rear ended (HARD!!!) by a woman while talking on her cell phone. Despite this, I still don't get upset when I see people talking on their cell phone while driving. I'm mad at her, not the other drivers. She's the only one who managed to hit me. The fact what I can observe other drivers driving poorly - whether they be talking, eating, or engaging in any other distracting activity - is an advantage. I've got my eye on them, and can drive defensively to compensate for their lack of attentiveness.

Margianalizing a group of people and looking down on them seems to be all the rage. We all seem to need a group of people we can look down on. I suppose there's something satisfying about the instant superiority felt by illuminating faults in others. I'm guilty of it often.

Today, my group to lambast are those AA cultists. Bunch of quitters.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Big deal.  I am tired of people bitching about Cell phone drivers.  I am especially tired of cell phone driving bans.    

If you are an ole timer like me (36) you can remember driving BC. (before cellphones)  Guess what?  There were plenty of bad, erratic, asshole drivers out there.

Good drivers know how to multitask.  Do you propose that we ban driving and eating also.  

What about having a conversation with a passenger?  Ban it!  For the children!

Pilots fly at 10 times the speed of a car, and manage to endure endless radio chatter from start to finish.  You would be amazed and horrified at the multitasking that goes on.

Tell you what:  You show me statistics that point to a large decrease in driver safety that corresponded to the increased use of cell phones, and I will STFU.   If there was no decrease in safety, then all of you nervous nellies can stfu.

There should be recurrent tests for the DL.  They should include distractions such as eating a cheeseburger and talking on the cell, while weaving through highspeed traffic.  

Ban Bad Drivers.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Big deal.  I am tired of people bitching about Cell phone drivers.  I am especially tired of cell phone driving bans.    

+1

If you are an ole timer like me (36) you can remember driving BC. (before cellphones)  Guess what?  There were plenty of bad, erratic, asshole drivers out there.

Hell, I'm 19 and there was a time that people didn't have cell phones.  

Good drivers know how to multitask.  Do you propose that we ban driving and eating also.  

+1 and no.  

Pilots fly at 10 times the speed of a car, and manage to endure endless radio chatter from start to finish.  You would be amazed and horrified at the multitasking that goes on.

Not just pilots, but Law Enforcment officers.  Driving, typing, operating the radio.  

There should be recurrent tests for the DL.  They should include distractions such as eating a cheeseburger and talking on the cell, while weaving through highspeed traffic.  

+1, but I seem to remember a "Dateline NBC" story where they set up a "driving distraction course," with not just phones, but loading CD's etc.

Ban Bad Drivers.  

Bah.  Darwin can take care of them.

In the meantime, I'd say a "hands free" device is a good idea.  My dad has used one, and my mom's TrailBlazer has one intergrated with the OnStar.  I've also seen her plug her phone into a lighter/power port and hold the phone by the end and talk as if it were a corded phone.

It's one thing to drive with a phone, but it's another to do it right.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
i drive a truck locally for a living and these people are starting to piss me off. they dont pay attention at all to the road and their usually crawling like a snail or hitting their brakes for no apparent reason. i can always tell when someones on the phone now and its really irritating.

A truck? At least you have some protection but I hknow how you feel.  Try riding a motorcycle around all those phone toting morons. The nearly kill you and then look suprised (as they look up from the phone) when you tear a mirror off of kick thier car.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#39]

There are some people who just can't stand to be alone with their own thoughts.  

Before this cell phone plague, it was the Walkmans.

For me, the only good part about my daily driving commute is having some quiet time to do some thinking.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Get rid of automatic transmissions.

You got my vote!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

cellphones don't bother me too much.  People who don't pay attention while on a phone are the same people that don't pay attention anyway.  The phone just gives other drivers an outlet for their anger.

I find that truck drivers are the most inconsiderate and consistantly bad drivers around.
One would think that with all that time behind the wheel they would get better.
For example, why do truck drivers (big rigs)  try to pass a slower vehicle going uphill?
They end up driving 45 mph in the passing lane on the interstate.
It drives me nuts!  but, maybe I'm wrong

p.s. If you are a truck driver and are courtious and know the limitations of your truck, then this doesn't apply to you

they go to pass a slower vehicle going uphill because if they slow down for him they will lose their momentum and its tough to get those big trucks moving again.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah or like the UPS driver I called in and complained about the other day, driving a big truck and merging from one interstate lane into the other (that I was driving in the thru lane in) and automatically presuming he had the hright of way (which is not so according to driving laws..the merging lane yields to thru traffic) and went ahead and just started coming over on me (and me without an opening to move to).

Hope he got his ass chewed for that one.

thats another thing that will piss me off is when people use the slow lane to cruise in. in my opinion that lane is for getting on and off the freeway, why would you cruise that lane and have to slow down or speed up to let traffic come in? frickin morons

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Talking, schmalking. I post on ARFCOM while I drive! w00t!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
you gotta come out to the bay area, im right in the heart of silicone valley and its rediculous how many drivers are on the phone. if i were to say it would be 1 out of every 3, beleive me i look for the bastards.

Right there with ya.  Majority of them are women in SUVs, too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Pisses me off to no end. These idiots drift all over the road, often slow for now reason, etc. They are more dangerous than drunks, if you ask me.

The other day I was driving on 237 in Sunnyvale and some numbnuts on the cell drifted over two lanes!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Around here, most new vehicles won't move unless the driver first attaches a phone to her ear.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#47]
You should have to take a special driving test if you want to use a cell phone on the road.

Take the driving test while conversing on the cell phone. The administrator of the test will grade the user on attention to detail, recall, etc.

If the person being tested fails the driving section or fails the oral comprehension test the driver fails the test entirely.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They did that here. £80 fine if you're caught.
Doesn't stop people though

Mark

Mark

I'd like to see a 3 month instant ban for "driving while on the phone" ...

That'd shake some sence into them

Taffy

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Ah, of all the pet peeves in all the world, you've found mine.

Many can drive fine with with them.  Others should have their earpiece replaced with a contact triggered tazer.

I figure if they're gonna bounce all over the road they might as well have a good reason.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#50]
You guys saying you drive just the same whether on the phone or not are full of shit. Everytime someone is in front of me on the freeway going 55...70...65...50...75mph like that, they're on the fucking phone. I would be willing to bet 95% of all cell phone conversations while driving is just unnecessary stupid assed chit chat and not something important.

You concentration on traffic is totally different when talking out loud to a passenger in your car vs. talking on the cell phone. I don't know exactly why it is, but it is different. I can't pay attention to someone on the phone at home and the T.V. at the same time. I find myself either watching the T.V. and not paying attention the the person on the other line or paying attention to them, but not the T.V.  

Listening to music is like back ground noise, you can hear it but it doesn't require you to concentrate on it, if you miss something in a song because you are paying attention to the road who cares, but everyone on the phone while driving thinks the conversation is the most important thing.

BAN CELL PHONES WHILE DRIVING! For the children.

No one would even need to debate the banning of cell phones or not while drving if 90% of everybody that has one didn't think they needed to get on it the second they got in their car and driving like shit while doing it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top