Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 4:00:02 PM EDT
A local Craigslist ad has a  1999 Jeep Wrangler for sale, REALLY cheap.... I've been looking for a while for the right deal and want to get some thoughts from you guys on it. If it's legit, I want to jump all over this, but then again, I don't want to get raped and have my kidney's sold on ebay...

This was the email after I send a message inquiring about the car:

I would like to let you know upfront that this Jeep is priced at: $2850
I also like to tell you that I'm not selling this vehicle for profit or due to a
lack of money. The reason for selling is that some recent events in my life made me
change my perception of certain things that I considered important in the past. The
funds received after this sale will be directed towards charity. Right now I'm
traveling with UNICEF as a volunteer.
On the other hand, you shall know few things about the Jeep. The title is clear and
is in an excellent condition without any dents or scratches. It was always garaged
and the regular maintenance was done in time as well as the oil changes. The vehicle
was never involved in any accidents or flood damage. The motor never let me down,
look great and run smoothly.
I'm not trying to offend you, but if you intend to apply for a loan or financing,
please don't go any further because the Jeep is priced for a fast sale, and I
require a cash transaction. The process will be managed by eBay Company and the
transaction will be made only through their eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection plan
for the safety of both. If you are still interested and ready to agree with my
terms, please reply so I can forward you the detailed description of the eBay
Vehicle Purchase Protection Plan.

How can I protect myself from getting scammed? I plan on meeting at a very public location.

Am I going to get raped???
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Fake. I see these all the time. Some variation on a them. Almost all want a super low selling price, but you have to wire or send them half up front. Almost always going out of the country, etc.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If it sounds lit it is too good to be true, then it is.  Don't trust Craig' List.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
lol, seriously?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fake. I see these all the time. Some variation on a them. Almost all want a super low selling price, but you have to wire or send them half up front. Almost always going out of the country, etc.

Exactly what I was thinking. No way in hell would I ever bring cash to a transaction...
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont believe it!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a "form letter" reply.     Why's he using the ebay vehicle seller protection stuff on c'list?     That just screams scam all up and down.

Any legit seller would accept a check from a bank if the buyer had to finance or at least go with you to the bank, or something.   It just doesn't sound right.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Of course it's a scam.

They use a fake "eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection plan" escrow "for both your protection", you send money in escrow to the fake "eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection plan" you never hear from them again or see the (imaginary) vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Of course it's a scam.

They use a fake "eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection plan" escrow "for both your protection", you send money in escrow to the fake "eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection plan" you never hear from them again or see the (imaginary) vehicle.

That how I thought they would pull it off. I might try to get them to send me a link to the fake site.....

Any way to bust this dickweed?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Google Craigslist E-bay motors scam.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Bring a friend, tell them they bring the jeep and clear title, you bring the cash. Meet in a well lit populated parking lot.

Watch them tell you that just won't work and you will still have to use "fleabay" to do the transaction first.

If he's out of country, how would he sign off on the title?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bring a friend, tell them they bring the jeep and clear title, you bring the cash. Meet in a well lit populated parking lot.

Watch them tell you that just won't work and you will still have to use "fleabay" to do the transaction first.

Thats the plan. Told the seller that I would like to see the vehicle in person and if I like it, I will meet them at XX Bank tomorrow and do the transaction there. With multiple friends of course & interlocking fields of fire....

I don't expect an email back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
THIS IS A SCAM!!!!  

There is NO SUCH THING as eBay autos escrow service.  

See http://theautoprophet.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-ebay-motors-scam.html
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats the plan. Told the seller that I would like to see the vehicle in person and if I like it, I will meet them at XX Bank tomorrow and do the transaction there. With multiple friends of course & interlocking fields of fire....

Dude it's a scam ... there is no Jeep.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude it's a scam ... there is no Jeep.  

I'm aware of that, which is why "I don't expect an email back."

Is there anything I can do about this other that flag the post on craigslist?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

SCAM ALERT!

anytime they pull the whole "dealing through Ebay" crap, it's a fucking scam, stay far away! unless it's something you can physically go and inspect, and have the option to pay cash or certified funds in a hand to hand transaction, don't waste your time!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#16]
i was looking for a jeep to a few months back. make a new email address and email them.. they will probably tell you the jeep is in storage in vegas or some other place and request payment and the jeep will be shipped to you.. its a scam.

edit

i did what i said above and played with the lady for a few days.. to the point i told her i was falling for her and wanted to date her hahahaha
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I flagged the post. Oh well. Search continures.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Hahahahahaha............

Check this shit out....

The price of the Jeep $2,850.00 includes all the shipping and handling costs. The
vehicle is located in Helena, MT at a shipping and storage facility ready to go. If
you decide to purchase it, you will receive all the documents of the vehicle
(owner’s manuals, keys, clear title, bill of sale) in order to register it under
your name. Regarding the payment, I will use only eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection
program. If you are interested, this is how eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection program
works:

- You send me your full name, complete address (I need for shipping) and your fax
number.

I open a transaction with eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection. eBay Vehicle Purchase
Protection will contact you with an invoice regarding our transaction. You will send
the payment to eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection and they will ship the vehicle to
your location. After you will inspect/drive the vehicle and decide to keep it, eBay
Vehicle Purchase Protection will forward me the funds and the deal is done.
Basically, eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection will secure the funds until you will
receive and inspect the Jeep. You will have 5 days inspection period. If the vehicle
is not like described, you will have to ship it back on my expense and they will
give you a full refund. This way, you will be able to inspect the vehicle before
committing to buy it.

In order to move forward, I'll need the following info from you, so I can set up a
new transaction case through eBay:
1. full name
2. shipping address

Thanks,
Julia

So I pay them, they send me the Jeep, from MONTANA to FLORIDA for me to test drive, and if I don't like it, THEY pay for return shipping and give me a FULL refund.....

WOW.

Seriously, is there any way I can bust this doucher????

Or I think I might play along..... ideas?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hahahahahaha............

Check this shit out....

The price of the Jeep $2,850.00 includes all the shipping and handling costs. The
vehicle is located in Helena, MT at a shipping and storage facility ready to go. If
you decide to purchase it, you will receive all the documents of the vehicle
(owner’s manuals, keys, clear title, bill of sale) in order to register it under
your name. Regarding the payment, I will use only eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection
program. If you are interested, this is how eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection program
works:

- You send me your full name, complete address (I need for shipping) and your fax
number.

I open a transaction with eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection. eBay Vehicle Purchase
Protection will contact you with an invoice regarding our transaction. You will send
the payment to eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection and they will ship the vehicle to
your location. After you will inspect/drive the vehicle and decide to keep it, eBay
Vehicle Purchase Protection will forward me the funds and the deal is done.
Basically, eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection will secure the funds until you will
receive and inspect the Jeep. You will have 5 days inspection period. If the vehicle
is not like described, you will have to ship it back on my expense and they will
give you a full refund. This way, you will be able to inspect the vehicle before
committing to buy it.

In order to move forward, I'll need the following info from you, so I can set up a
new transaction case through eBay:
1. full name
2. shipping address

Thanks,
Julia

So I pay them, they send me the Jeep, from MONTANA to FLORIDA for me to test drive, and if I don't like it, THEY pay for return shipping and give me a FULL refund.....

WOW.

Seriously, is there any way I can bust this doucher????

Or I think I might play along..... ideas?

have fun with them like i did when i was looking for a jeep
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top