Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, no of the FL reps, sen, or gov responded to my letter to them... Been two days.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for Tennessee hope other states follow thier lead, Louisiana especially.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#3]
That is the definition of sensible gun legislation.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
This is great news!!

<--- Especially for me
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't it be great if this were the path states took...much like the protection laws passed(and still being passed) after Katrina?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This is great news!!

<--- Especially for me

Me too, especially after escaping Kalifornistan last year.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Go Tennessee!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
hell yeah, i wrote mt represenative a couple of das ago...Rock on...Tennessee has always been good on gun laws
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Go Tennessee!

+1
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go Tennessee!

+1

+2
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:04:30 AM EDT
[#11]
i knew my fiancee and i made a good decision in choosing Tennessee for our future home state...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Go Tennessee!

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
hell yeah, i wrote mt represenative a couple of das ago...Rock on...Tennessee has always been good on gun laws

I brought this point up when HR1022 reared its ugly little head.

Posted the response I got from one of our DEMOCRAT senators underlining how positive it was for TN gun owners.

a couple assholes here refused to believe it.  

FWIW, I know and work with the sen. in question...didn't seem to faze the above-mentioned posters.  "he'll do what it takes to appease you now, but wait till election time"

-folks don't seem to realize that an anti-gun politician in TN ain't gonna last long.  Sure we got a bunch of hunters, but even they are extremely vocal about the RKBA extending to all firearms.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:20:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I kinda disagree.

Maybe lately in the past decade

But I think the whole 'intent to go armed' bullshit is just that.  Need to change that too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Why is it that those considered backwoods rednecks by most of the "civilized world" are the ones with the most sense?  

Go Tennessee!!!

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#16]
This is outstanding news, If we can make headway BECAUSE of this, it means the sheeple are slowly starting to wake up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Say what you will about Tennessee, but I believe it is the only state with a "shall issue" Class 3 law.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#18]
GREAT, I sent out letters on Tuesday, am calling in more support today.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Awesome!
I hope more follow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#20]
OUTSTANDING!!!

Our legislature needs to do the same thing, and they are only in session for a few more weeks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#21]
HOLY SHIT! Never, never! in my life would I ever have believed I would have seen such a logical statement & decision from government body, not just one individual, but a majority and on such a short notice. A glacier must have just frozen Hell solid!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Good for Tenn!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Say what you will about Tennessee, but I believe it is the only state with a "shall issue" Class 3 law.

It's not "shall issue" It's a "must sign" law. CLEO's are required by law to sign Form 4 transfers within a specified period of time unless there is something that disqualifies the person from possessing NFA weapons.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Woo Hoo!

Chalk one up for my home state!
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#25]
This is a newer, longer story up  about this:

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/state/article/0,1406,KNS_348_5492294,00.html

House vote permits guns in more places

By TOM HUMPHREY, [email protected]
April 19, 2007

NASHVILLE - In a surprise move, a House panel voted Wednesday to repeal a state law that forbids the carrying of handguns on property and buildings owned by state, county and city governments - including parks and playgrounds.

"I think the recent Virginia disaster - or catastrophe or nightmare or whatever you want to call it - has woken up a lot of people to the need for having guns available to law-abiding citizens," said Rep. Frank Niceley, R-Strawberry Plains. "I hope that is what this vote reflects."

As amended, the legislation still wouldn't allow guns on school property, however.

Niceley's bill aimed to let people holding handgun carry permits take their weapons onto state park property, which is now forbidden.

But when Niceley brought the bill before the Criminal Practice Subcommittee, a branch of the House Judiciary Committee, Rep. Rob Briley, D-Nashville, promptly proposed an amendment to expand its scope.

"We've been piecemealing this thing year after year," Briley said. "Why don't we just let you take your gun anywhere you want to?"

Tennessee's handgun carry law includes a listing of places where permit holders are forbidden to take their weapons. Briley has proposed an amendment that repeals a provision prohibiting guns "in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof."

With very little debate, the amendment was quickly approved on a voice vote with only Rep. Janis Sontany, D-Nashville, chairman of the subcommittee, audibly shouting, "No!"

She then asked Niceley if he had any comments before the bill, as amended, faced a final vote in the panel.

"I'm in shock, and I can't talk," replied Niceley, though quickly adding he thought Briley's proposal was "a good amendment."

The panel then approved the overall bill, sending it to the full House Judiciary Committee for a vote next week. Briley is chairman of the committee.

Niceley said afterward that Tennessee should join other states that basically allow licensed people to take their handguns "anywhere they want."

The Briley amendment does not go that far, having no impact on separate provisions of the law that, for example, forbid guns on school grounds, in courtrooms or in establishments that serve alcoholic beverages.

But Briley, Sontany and others said afterward that it would allow permit holders to take their guns on most other state, county or city government property - including the Legislative Plaza, where signs are now posted to prohibit weapons except those carried by law enforcement officers.

Briley said in an interview that he and a handful of other legislators in subcommittees have borne the brunt of harsh criticism from some gun owners for opposing past efforts to "nibble away" at restrictions on where handguns can be taken.

"This has been on the backs of just a few people," he said. "Now it's time for other people to stand up and say, 'We want these protections in the law' - or not."

Asked about Niceley's comment that the Virginia Tech slayings earlier this week had awakened people to the need for easing of restrictions on licensed holders of handgun carry permits, he replied in the negative.

"Anybody who would make an attempt to score cheap political points over that tragedy and what we did in (the committee room) is disgusting and sick," he said.

Sontany said she thought Briley acted unwisely "in the heat of the moment" and that the bill ultimately would be defeated.

Niceley said that critics of the handgun carry law protested when it passed that "wild West" situations would be created, but permit holders have proven themselves responsible over the years. He said he knows of only one case where a permit holder used a weapon in a violent crime.

In Tennessee, 172,828 people held legal permits as of January, according to Mike Browning, spokesman for the state Department of Safety, which issues the licenses.

Rep. Curry Todd, R-Collierville, said he had decided earlier to give up this year on his push for legislation to allow permit holders to take their handguns into restaurants serving alcoholic beverages, feeling it had little chance of passage.

Todd said, however, that he has been approached by another legislator about a push to allow handguns on college campuses though "I don't know if this is the proper time to do that" in light of the Virginia Tech shootings.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Well, no of the FL reps, sen, or gov responded to my letter to them... Been two days.

I sent emails to my Govonor, Rep in congress and my two state reps.

I only heard back from 1 state rep. He said he's a strong supporter of the 2A and said he never got a chance to vote on the bill last year to allow carry at VT becuase it never left commite. He never said what he's has planed. to support the 2A in the future.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Here, they don't allow guns/weapons in county, state and some city buildings.  That is clearly unConstitutional.  The danger is that someone will take out the gaurds at the door and everyone inside will just be sitting ducks like they were at VT.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#28]
What a coincidence! My wife works at a county park which now prohibits CCW carry, and they have an annual County Fair there which draws several thousand people. Their first comittee meeting is today and I asked if she thought the Gun Free "kill" Zone issue might come up! What great news! Thank you Reps Briley and Nicely, and a big congrats to the only state to send a freshman senator  to Washington in the last election. I love my state!

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Even if it does pass anybody want to take bets Governor Bredesen will veto it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#30]
God bless them

We can only pray that our states will follow their example.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Even if it does pass anybody want to take bets Governor Bredesen will veto it.

true enough

never know what he's going to do.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Here, they don't allow guns/weapons in county, state and some city buildings.  That is clearly unConstitutional.  The danger is that someone will take out the gaurds at the door and everyone inside will just be sitting ducks like they were at VT.

Yall get guards at the doors?

Lucky.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Now I know why I have lived here for 40 years.........naw  I always knew, now yall do to
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
www.knoxnews.com/kns/state/article/0,1406,KNS_348_5491437,00.html

What do you expect from the "patron state of shootin stuff".
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

We only get a "D" from the Brady Bunch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We only get a "D" from the Brady Bunch.

We'll definitely have to try harder.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#38]
...and here I came to the forum ttonight to see how bad the guys thought it was going to get because of the shooting.  Finally they recognize that "arms free" areas are like a flock of sheep standing in a field being circled by wolves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top