Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2002 7:58:59 PM EDT
Ever since I moved to Maryland (from PA) I've had the toughest time adjusting to the &!@#%%^ IDIOTS that run the gun shops here.

Tonight I went to one particular place in MD, run by more morons. I go in and find a really nice SP1 on the shelf. I ask to see it. Reply from owner, "I can only show it if you're willing to buy it". I'm like, maybe I will. Finally the jerk gets off his ass and passes it to me. I ask If I can field strip it real quick to look inside, reply; "I WOULD NEVER LET ANYONE TAKE APPART ONE OF THESE" and grabs it away and puts it back on shelf. By then I'm a little steamed.

I continue to walk around and see a sweet M1A1, I ask to see it and notice both the action AND the trigger have that plastic flex-ties around them. I tell him that I would be nice to be able to see what the trigger-pull feels like. Plus its "customary" to be able to pull back the bolt. Once again I'm told he can only take the plastic ties off if I'm buying it. By then I'm pretty pissed so I just walk away and yell "good luck staying in business pal" and walk out.  I notice a lot of his guns have those stupid plastic ties holding the triggers back. I"M NEVER GOING BACK IN...

I wish I was back in PA !!!

Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah, MD sucks. the 3 biggest gunshops in the baltomore area are owned by the same family. really big dicks. gun stores in MD will soon go the way of the dodo. i grew up in MD and now live in GA and let me tell you...its a whole new world!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a different problem down here in Florida at a few shops. The guys love puttin the gun in your hands....it's only the 50-100% above retail price that drives me out of the store!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Here in Knoxville, it's a rare thing to find someone working in a shop that knows their ass from a hole in the ground. I've had to show at least four guys how to de-cock Sigs, Berettas and HKs!

Also, there is this one place (that carries Toad's "guns" and thinks that they are more precious than the real items) those cats work really hard to get you to NOT buy a gun by ignoring you and then when you get their attention they trash talk the gun they are showing you, I've seen this happen with at least thirty customers over a two year period!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, nothing new under the sun here.

I don't know what it is about gun shops, it doesn't matter how I dress (I've tried the redneck look, yuppie duds, and even a suit once) but trying to get one of the sales drones to come over and help me generally takes about 30 minutes of standing at the counter while they chit-chat with their groupies.

At this point I pretty much just avoid buying anything local unless it's an absolute emergency.

The funny thing about it is that I realize most of the internet vendors probably have a store somewhere, but the service over the phone or via email is considerably better than any place I've been to locally.

Like JSL said, the ridiculous prices don't help inspire my loyalty either ($55 for used USGI 30's?!?). Good grief.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
What is going take to get Goatboy start a FFL/Dealer Bashing Forum?
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
trying to get one of the sales drones to come over and help me generally takes about 30 minutes of standing at the counter while they chit-chat with their groupies.

View Quote

that's the weirdest thing.  i can never figure out why it is, whenever i go into a gun shop, the employees are talking to a person or people and i feel like an interruption.  i own and buy more guns than everyone i know, yet the employees treat ME like an interruption.  whether or not it's the first time i've been to the place or the one i've been going to since i was six.  
BTW, am i the only who gets that feeling when i talk to the staff at RGuns on the phone or internet?  honest to god, every anwer i have got on an internet question has been less than 5 words.  sam thing over the phone or when i order over the phone.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I worked in a gun store all through college and can tell you that NY dealers are "looker" friendly!  I'd bullshit with the guy that came in every week "just looking."  If they don't have good customer relations or an approachable trustworth demeaner, then the Dodo is the way they go!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Thing I don't like about my local gun shop - they're closed on sundays. Other than that they're great. Hold, examine, fondle, field strip anything you want. Rumor has it, though I've never verified it, is that if you're a regular interested in buying one of the used firearms for sale they'll let you take it down the road to the local range to shoot it. Bet you won't find that very often!
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#9]
There is a gun shop a couple of miles away that I go to when I need something real quick, or a box or 2 of ammo.  I think the guy's ass is glued to his stool.  I can be the only one in the store and it will take him 10 minutes to get off the phone with his buddy and help me. One day he looked up and asked me what I wanted and i said,"let me see that AR over there."  The guy droped the phone and ran over to help me.  I guess you need to look like you're going to drop a grand on a gun to get this guy to help you.  This is why I like mail order.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is a gun shop a couple of miles away that I go to when I need something real quick, or a box or 2 of ammo.  I think the guy's ass is glued to his stool.  I can be the only one in the store and it will take him 10 minutes to get off the phone with his buddy and help me. One day he looked up and asked me what I wanted and i said,"let me see that AR over there."  The guy droped the phone and ran over to help me.  I guess you need to look like you're going to drop a grand on a gun to get this guy to help you.  This is why I like mail order.  
View Quote

Out of curiosity, what store was it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:06:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess the flip side of the coin is that most people want the guns they are purchasing to be perfect.  Every gun that I've bought has had some sort of ding, scratch, excessive wear marks from cycling the action, or otherwise that keeps me from rating it 100%.  When I ask the dealer if he has one new in box because this one has a scratch, he looks at me like I'm crazy.  Over time, these little scratches hang on my mind like a rock in my shoe until I can't stand it.  Heck, one time I remember holding a new Walther PPK when I noticed that a piece of the trigger was chipped off.  The shop owner just looked at me and said so what.  One of these days I will get a true virgin gun and not one thats been passed around by the yokles down at the neighborhood shop.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I guess the flip side of the coin is that most people want the guns they are purchasing to be perfect.  Every gun that I've bought has had some sort of ding, scratch, excessive wear marks from cycling the action, or otherwise that keeps me from rating it 100%.  When I ask the dealer if he has one new in box because this one has a scratch, he looks at me like I'm crazy.  Over time, these little scratches hang on my mind like a rock in my shoe until I can't stand it.  Heck, one time I remember holding a new Walther PPK when I noticed that a piece of the trigger was chipped off.  The shop owner just looked at me and said so what.  One of these days I will get a true virgin gun and not one thats been passed around by the yokles down at the neighborhood shop.
View Quote
I agree 100%, if I'm paying for a "new" gun, it better damn well look new. I try to never buy the display,(do you have another one in back?) you never know how many people have handled it, you know for a fact it has not been cleaned. I guess I'm just real picky about what I pay for.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey,

I nice place to go if your in Huntsville, AL is Larry's.  They have lots of stuff and some pretty good prices.  The place is usually crowded but it is not hard to get help.  The are knowledgeable and generally accommodating.  Between Thanksgiving and Christmas every year they move a million dollars in firearms.

Now I live in NJ.  You have to have a firearms ID to hold a gun.  Can't even buy ammo without an FID card.  I've been waiting 5 weeks so far to get my card.  Hopefully I'll have it soon.  It is a completely different world here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm about 30 miles south of Bham, I only go through Huntsville occasionally, but I will look for it next time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, there is a store in El Cerrito where I walked in with cash to buy a gun and the guy behind the counter wouldn't give me the time of day cause he was talking to his buddy.  I looked around a little bit and walked out.  If he had great prices I would have persisted but his price was the same as at the other shops so I just went elswhere.  How do these people stay in business.

OTOH, when I was living in Santa Barbara there was a great strip mall gun store owned by this guy named Rick.  His prices weren't the lowest but after my first two times in there looking he new my name.  He would hand me anything I wanted to look at and was always friendly and respectful.  I ended up buying six guns from him in the two years I was living there.  There were other shops in town but they had the "attitude" so if there prices were cheaper I would take it to Rick and he would match it. This was in '94-'95 and he wasn't gouging on the "assault weapons" like everyone else was either.  I hope he is still in business cause he ran his shop the way one should be run.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:26:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Only one of the four local stores I patronize are less than friendly.  I only go to the unfriendly store because 90% of the time they have all manner of cool firearms.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:06:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I dont seem to have a problem with my local shop, It's family owned and managed, and most of the employees are off duty or retired LEOs. everybody seems to shoot various competitions and if you have a question or want to see something they are more than happy to help couple of cute ladies working the register, it must be the paradise of gun shops.

[:)>]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:19:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Larrys in Huntsvegas is crowded alright! I have never been in there without seeing atleast 10-20 other people. There is a good selection and it's funny to watch the wannabe gangbangers drooling over the POS crome plated pistols in some of those display cases across from the sales counter. Lots of used guns and accessories.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I cant stand how every gunshop on the planet has a vietnam era SEAL who either works there or hangs out there.  There must have been 3 divisions of SEALS over there :-)
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#20]
There once was the gunshop who demonstrated the laser on a gun by pointing gun and laser at another customer . . . I don't go there no more . . .
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#21]
What I hate is when I walk into one of the local stores and the grumpy owner looks up and says:

[b]"Here comes money..."[/b] [:(!]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Any gunshop in Philadelphia, PA.  If it is a cop hang-out it stinks.  More anti comments against the non-leo's who happen to buy more equipment than the leos.  Just hangout and crowd the joint.  Makes you feel like a lineup in progress.  Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#23]
mayday,

I agree with you on Maryland.  Years ago I moved from the York area to Cockysville, MD and I found the same thing.  It was almost as if you needed to  have your name on the social register before those slobs in the Ball-more shops would look at you.

The friendliest gun shops I've found have been in San Antonio, TX.  Check out Nagel's on San Pedro or Texas Guns on Bandera.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:13:58 AM EDT
[#24]

As far as the plastic tie things go in Maryland, I bet they have some law that requires them on guns.  Maryland has so many f-ed up anti-gun laws, this is probably one of them.  Just a guess though.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:15:55 AM EDT
[#25]
The local gunshops in my area in Florida are all pretty decent.  They divide their time among their customers, will answer questions honestly, don't mind a little 'tire kicking', and allow reasonable field stripping for inspection.  And if they don't have what you're looking for, they WILL recommend another store that does, even if there's no connection between the various stores.

I thought it was quite funny when a couple of young punks came into one store I was visiting one day, looked around, and asked the clerk if they had any AK's.  The clerk said, 'Sorry, no, we're out.'   The funny part is that the clerk was sitting on a stool behind the counter with about ten AK's directly behind him.  He could have picked one up just by reaching behind him. And the clueless punks didn't even know what they were looking at!      I honestly think that you could have picked up an AK off the shelf, handed it to them, and say 'No, we're all out, but how about this nice AR-15 here?'  and the punks would have said 'No.  I want an AK!' and hand it back to you!

I had to stifle a laugh, because I knew that the clerk had no intention of facilitating a little 'tire kicking' for these punks who couldn't be trusted with a broken slingshot.     They're the sort that should NOT have guns.   Maybe if the coming years bring maturity...but it doesn't look promising.

CJ

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Things I can't stand?
No coffee machine and no playpen for my two-year old! The guys at the shop I frequent always have a pretzel or chocolate pudding or a cookie for my kid. I've told them that they would probably get more "oh, by the way" business if they installed a coffee machine. I've seen a lot of what you guys describe and will personally step to the back when a customer comes in and has a question or whatever. I've been the guy who walks in and couldn't get a word in edge-wise, so I pass on the same courtesy to zip my lip when need be. OTOH, I have spent quite a small fortune in there so I do get very courteous service. They didn't agree to give me my own parking spot yet though......
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I especially like the shops where the owner believes that the local shooting community OWES him the business.

He'll treat the customers that he doesn't know with disdain and then complain that Wally World is going to put him out of business.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:51:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Things I hate....
entering gunshop and finally getting waited on..
me-"Hey, I'm looking for a Remington 700 BDL in .308"

him-"Dont have one, ever think of a Ruger?"

me-"Nah, really want a Remington. Do you ever get any or can you order it?"

him-"I can but I wont, Remington 700's are junk, make their own barrels.  You really need a Ruger."

me-"I dont want a Ruger, I want a Remington."

him-"Try Wal-Mart"

Believe it or not I went back, he was sitting on his porch on the phone and I just stayed in my truck.  When he got off the phone...

him-"can I help ya?"

me-"Yeah, I'm looking for a Colt 1911A1.  You got any or know of any on cosignment?"

him-"No, cant think of any, but why do you want one of them anyway, their junk.  You thought about a Ruger?"

me-fire truck and drive off

He got hungry though and changed his attitude.  Transfered my AR for $15, then the ATF shut him down.  After reading this post maybe I should go ahead and get my FFL and open a shop.  Might be able to do some good.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
mayday,

I agree with you on Maryland.  Years ago I moved from the York area to Cockysville, MD and I found the same thing.  It was almost as if you needed to  have your name on the social register before those slobs in the Ball-more shops would look at you.

The friendliest gun shops I've found have been in San Antonio, TX.  Check out Nagel's on San Pedro or Texas Guns on Bandera.
View Quote

I would guess that this is a Southern thing.
Most of our local gunshops will take you out and squeeze off a few rounds with any of their used guns.[pistol]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#30]
The gunshops around here are pretty nice compared to what some of you are saying.  There is one dealer who I won't use for transfers or buy a gun from again.  He can't stand doing transfers so his wife handles them.  Every time I go in there for a transfer he always says "I hate doing transfers....blah blah".  The guy doesn't do much business selling guns.  He has a surplus store that is slowly becoming a hunting store.  He acts like a dick too often.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:05:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I've noticed it both as a vendor and a customer at gun shows.

A few years ago my wife and I were moving around the country a lot, so we decided to sell our collection.  So we did a few gun shows.  I'd always greet the people who came to my table and offer my assistance if they wanted to see anything.  I did, by the way, band my single action revolvers so that ham-fisted customers wouldn't score they cylinders while playing with them.  If someone was contemplating buying them I was the first to offer to remove the band so that they could inspect the action.  I told the thruth[shock] about my firearms.  (I refuse to do the old gun show "Hell yeah boy, I've shot the nose off a groundhog at a mile with that there rifle!)  But most of all, I just paid attention to the possible customers who came to my table.

And I noticed that the dealers to my left and right just sat in their chairs reading magazines and drinking coffee.  When somebody finally pulled them away from their oh so important pursuits they simply looked annoyed and handed an old beater to a possible customer.  If the customer was luck they were treated to a real nice BS story.  "Yeah, that there M1 probably went ashore at D-Day" as he handed the guy an H&R.

At the end of the show a had a pretty clear table and a fist full of cash while the other guys were complaining about how SLOW the show had been.

Go figure!
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#32]
El Paso Gun Exchange(El Paso, TX) great store nice people

Kirks class III(El Paso, TX) always willing to answer my stupid drooling questions

SilverBell's(Carlsbad, NM) a$$holes

EagleArms(Lawton, OK) Jacks a good one ...good work too but a bit slow on turnarounds....

Cache Creek Gun Rx(Lawton, OK) good guy great prices willing ot do transfers cheap...

Ed's Pawn..(Lawton, OK) Good for transfers ...Loves to talk
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Shameless Plug.

Geez! Guys too bad ya'll so far away.  I always have new guns in the back that are never displayed.  If you wanted I'll order one special just for you.  I'll order anything for you that I can get with a deposit that says "serious".  I have playful kid friendly pooch'es and a place for little ones to "hide out", and coffee on tap.

Want to field strip an AR?  Just be able to put it back togther.

Lots of good ideas for better customer service,  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Things I hate....
entering gunshop and finally getting waited on..
me-"Hey, I'm looking for a Remington 700 BDL in .308"

him-"Dont have one, ever think of a Ruger?"

me-"Nah, really want a Remington. Do you ever get any or can you order it?"

him-"I can but I wont, Remington 700's are junk, make their own barrels.  You really need a Ruger."

me-"I dont want a Ruger, I want a Remington."

him-"Try Wal-Mart"

Believe it or not I went back, he was sitting on his porch on the phone and I just stayed in my truck.  When he got off the phone...

him-"can I help ya?"

me-"Yeah, I'm looking for a Colt 1911A1.  You got any or know of any on cosignment?"

him-"No, cant think of any, but why do you want one of them anyway, their junk.  You thought about a Ruger?"

me-fire truck and drive off

He got hungry though and changed his attitude.  Transfered my AR for $15, then the ATF shut him down.  After reading this post maybe I should go ahead and get my FFL and open a shop.  Might be able to do some good.
View Quote

Forget the FFL, just get a Ruger![whacko]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I hate how gunshop owners think that everything they have is fucking made of gold and everything you have is shit.

The biggest bunch of assholes on the planet. It almost makes me not want to buy anymore guns so I don't have to deal with these assholes.

It makes me wonder how these assholes stay in business. Especially with all the websites where you can look at guns without assholes.

Can you tell I'm pissed ? Did I write any sentences without a curse ?

Rant off
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#36]
One shop - surly clerk staring off into space who acts pissed if I interrupt his reverie.

Another shop - very small inventory thoughtlessly spread around a large area, dirty used inventory, surly, dirty Hispanic gangbanger type behind the counter at the front door trying to look like a tough guy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, the other bad habit of MD gun stores is that they GO OUT OF BUSINESS too damn fast.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Especially with all the websites where you can look at guns without assholes.
View Quote

Guns with assholes?  Is that a feature I can add to my preban?

Oh and while I'm at it, the guy that was complaintint that the local gun shop didn't hand out free coffee with their donuts...WHICH part of fantasy island do you live on.  After reading the more down to earth gripes listed here, I give you a well deserved [moon]

[BD]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#39]
How bout posting the name of this shop in MD, and maybe even their phone number!  I'd like to tell them what a shitty operation they are running there!
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Actually, I've had my best luck at a local pawnshop. They don't know a hell of a lot about what they got, but they'll let you handle whatever you want for as long as you want and not give any shit or advice. (bought an AR-15 from them) There are two gunshops I go to in Phoenix, one is small, very friendly and attentive (bought a new Beretta from them) the other is large and has that "we know everything and you don't" attitude (they have decent ammo prices and a fox for a cashier. Likely will not buy a gun there) and there's another place I won't mention (heard it was called AMERICAN SPIRIT ARMS IN SCOTTSDALE,AZ) where if you don't have one of their guns, you ain't got shit. Wouldn't even tell my enemies to go there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Shameless Plug.

Geez! Guys too bad ya'll so far away
Lots of good ideas for better customer service,  Thanks.
View Quote

So how far away from Cooperstown are you Skypilot?

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I went to my local gunshop a few years ago looking to get into reloading.

I ask the owner if he has a reloading book for beginners, he kept saying " I don't really understand what you are looking for."

I told him I wanted to reload 30-06 and 308, he replied several times that it didn't matter what caliber I was reloading, it all reloads the same.

Then he kept trying to sell me the Lee anniversary kit which I didn't want.

Finally I just asked him if the Lee kit will work for my needs.
The guy gets all pissed off and yells at me " I NEED TO KNOW WHAT CALIBER YOUR RELOADING!"

I told him to f**k off and left.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I just remembered another incident at my local gunshop:

A friend of mine, that knew next to nothing about guns, was trying to sell his 1911. He went to the shop to see what it was worth and maybe trade for something else.

The owner fieldstrips the handgun and shows my friend that the blueing was worn off the feed ramp.  He actually told my friend that this was a dangerous indication and that this gun was broken. He told him he'd give him $25 dollars for it just to be safe and take it off his hands before it blew up in his.

My friend came to my home directly from the gunshop and showed me the 1911.

There was not a damn thing wrong with the gun.

By the way, the shop is KEMPF'S gun store in Michigan City.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#46]
The  gun shops in my area that i hate are the pc hunters type only stores.
They will carry every single gun that ruger and remington, TC make along with every over and under in the 1k or better range but god forbid they sell anything even remotely with charecter for recreational shooting.

I also love it when  gun stores decide not to buy or sell "military type" arms but they have a case full of 1911's, every vaquero ever made and 10k worth colt SAA pistols. With a good smathering of beretta 92's mixed in.

nope thems aint military guns please.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#47]
The gun shops in my area that I hate are the PC hunters type only stores.
They will carry every single gun that Ruger and Remington, along with every over and under in the 1k or better range. But God forbid they sell anything even remotely with character for recreational shooting.

I also love it when gun stores decide not to buy or sell "military type" arms but they have a case full of 1911s, every vaquero ever made and 10k worth colt SAA pistols. With a good smathering of beretta 92's mixed in.

nope thems aint military guns please.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#48]
All the gun shops around here are pretty cool. The only thing that pisses me off is when you go in to a new/unfamilliar store, and the owner and his buddy are sitting on there asses talking and won't even acknowlege you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#49]
We have a mixed bag here in Nashville. On one hand is "Gun City", which is manned by armed sales staff due to their proximity to the projects a block or two away. They sell used stuff at NIB prices & NIB stuff at MSRP. Needless to say I neither shop nor buy there.

The cure for them is "Specialty Arms". They work the local gun shows as well. They sell new, used & consignment. They do lay-a-way, credit terms, the whole gamant. Their gunsmith is the best I've ever seen & their staff doesn't act like you're interrupting their nap. The do NOT lose money on trades, however. >gg<

On the flip side, I've been behind the counter & had a customer try to field strip a 1911 & had shit flying everywhere!! I've had them try to figure out what's what & drop the mag of a NIB gun onto the concrete floor. Don't be too hard on the salesman who may not let you field strip a used gun but instead ask him to do it for you!

I learned quickly what one wears or looks like is NO indication of what their buying interest or capability is. I've had guys in three-piece suits buy a Makarov & bitch about the price. I've had guys in worn out overalls buy the best Browning or Weatherby & pay cash.

All in all, I'd say the better gun shops & staff are indeed down South. Of course maybe our gun attitude's & laws reflect that & vice versa.

But I'd rather die than live in Maryland or Connecticut or Massachusetts!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------
I live in a modest home with an immodest array of guns.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I buy ammo at a local wholesale place. Their main business is cigs, candy, drinks etc. Convenience store stuff but they do have a modest selection of guns on hand. I've bought a couple from him including my Bushy. The owner usually aint around and nobody there nows anything about ammo, so they just let me go behind the counter and get what I want. I told the guy what I was paying for a case of 357 sig(7.50/box) and he said he could beat that so I gave him my business. Quality guy that has earned my business.

Another place in town is good if you talk to the owner. He ordered a Leupold scope for me over the phone, no deposit. I went in looking for a glock 32, he got his distributor on the phone right then, got me a price and ordered it for me. Just don't get me started on the other guy that works there. Friend of mine went in looking for a glock 35. Guy wouldn't shut up about the virtues of a ParaOrdance that he just happened to have. Buddy, who had the cash to buy/place order just walked out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top