Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:11:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll start if you don't mind...

My mom's 2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer has XM.  My mom doesn't listen to it but my dad does whenever he drives it.  XM is good stuff...their channels are great, clear sound-worth it to have.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
hey, where did the gas thread go?

I don't have satellite radio, BTW. MLB is using satellites to mine our brains for information. The joke's on them, however....there is nothing in my brain BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Sirius Sportster replay in my truck. Had it for a couple of months. Haven't listened to regular radio (other than before Howard left) or CD since. Sirius' programming is great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Howard 100, Howard 101 and Raw Dawg on Sirius are the shiznit.

Funniest shit I've ever heard. Came for free in my Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4 Laramie.

"What are you going to ask to buy at the firework store? 'I'd like to buy some African American chasers?'"

-Steve
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#5]
We've has Sirius for a little over a year it's great.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:06:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I have XM and love it.

Max
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had Sirius Satelite for over 4 years. All three of my vehicles have Sirius in it. For $13 a month for the first vehicle and $6 for the other two, you can't go wrong!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#8]
XM for over 3 years and no complaints.
O&A party rock!
Stern is a obscenly overpaid hack. I hope you Sirius fans enjoy paying his salary.
Does Stern play with AR's?  Anthony of O&A does.
Courtesy of the O&A Army/pests
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
XM is great. We live in the sticks and it's great to have more music than 2 country stations. I like the metal, punk, rock and blues channels. On road trips, we've had to switch FM modulator channels on occasion, but it's quick and easy.

On the plus side, if you add a second XM radio to your account, the second radio is half price subscription fee.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I have Sirius, with a lifetime subscription (limited to life of reciever tho). A nextel cell tower site in my city blocks reception to the signal for a 10 block radius around the site. Pisses me off as the tower is in the middle of the city, near a major arterial roadway......

Other than that, love it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the XM MyFi. It is awesome. Got another car kit for the personal truck and it easily goes between the two. Plus, it works like a walkman and I can listen to "live" XM while cutting the grass. It will also record 5 hrs worth of content so you can listen to tunes while at the gym.

Sirius does not offer any equipment that will allow you to listen to a live stream while not docked in your car or home like XM's MyFi does
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Who's got the right wing talk stuff?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I got Sirius back in Sept or Oct so that I would have it ready for Sterns big move.  I realy enjoy it.  I do not listen to regular radio anymore.  I have a plug and play unit in my Xterra/home and a sat. ready head unit in my commuter car.  I have a 60 mile commute to work 1 way, it realy helps make the time pass.

I agree that it does seem that Sirius has over extended themselves.  But I hope they are around for a good long while.

Never had XM so I have nothing to say about that.

Dusty
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#16]
If sirius' christmas sales tanked why can you not go into a circuit city or best buy and find a sirius reciever? XM was giving away recievers for $15 and you can get all you want.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#18]
ya i listend to xm for a 4 day road trip. then i listend to sirius on a 8 day road trip. day i got back from the 8 day trip i orderd sirius.  for music it blows XM out of the water. even when we go on trips now we take my sirius to listen to instead of the XM radio in the truck.  now i see ford and dodge are both putting them in there stuff. your on crack if you think siruis is going any were other then way over XM.  ya and my sirius reciever is about the size of a cassette, its really huge
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#19]
SIRIUS is the BEST Satallite Radio to get. I have Both XM and SIRIUS.
SIRIUS has the Patriot Channel which has LOTS of gun talk and Mike Church on Sirius Right.
XM SUXS.....SIRIUS is the Best..........

GhostCat
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#20]
XM has two channels that keep me there, 82 and 47.  HAving Fox News Talk (not just Fox News, but the excluseive talk channel too) is a  big one for me.  

Sirius is about to lose this big time.  Howards a big draw (can't stand him or OandA,truthfully), but XM just got Oprah.  Oprah moves her pinky and 10 million women react instantly.  the other 110,000,000 take an hour longer.

www.nytimes.com/2006/02/09/business/media/09cnd-oprah.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

What's funny is that for 1/12th the price, they're gonna get two to three times more subscribers with her than stern drew to sirius.

from the article:

XM is the larger of the two with over six million subscribers. It is based in Washington D.C. Sirius, based in New York, has over three million subscribers.

'nuff said.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If sirius' christmas sales tanked why can you not go into a circuit city or best buy and find a sirius reciever? XM was giving away recievers for $15 and you can get all you want.

Great point. At my store we were on a 30 day backorder status until just recently. Sirius picked up 2.2 to 2.4 million new subscibers this holiday season. Most of that is from Stern. Now wait until next year, when NASCAR moves from XM to Sirius, you will get another 2 million, plus a 2 million decrease on XM.

MLB.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've had Sirius Satelite for over 4 years. All three of my vehicles have Sirius in it. For $13 a month for the first vehicle and $6 for the other two, you can't go wrong!

defenitely bargains both of them.  Either way, you're getting a HECK of alot of bang for your buck.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Who's got the right wing talk stuff?

XM 166
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Enjoy Sirius while you can. I give them two years at the most and they are out of buisiness. They are grossly over-extended or soon will be. Their stock is tanking. They are losing the satellite radio war 30% to XM's 70%. They finally released their Christmas sales figures for recievers and subscriptions........terrible.

Siruis has grossly lost the technology race also. They still cannot produce a portable reciever (Walkman-style). XM now has four units availble with more coming this spring. Sirius unvieled their new "portable" recievers recently....still not able to recieve live programming. Also, Sirius cannot seem to shrink their standard receivers, making them less intrusive, as XM has.

You couldn't pay me to listen to Stern. And apparently, only about 1-2 million people were willing to pay to listen to him.  They were expecting millions more to sign up for Howie..didn't happen.

+1.  And don't forget repeaters in major cities.  The two new XM / MP3 player combo's that are coming out are going to kick the shit out of any Sirius receiver currently out.  The hardware battle will be over.  HooHoo Rob-in.

I hope Sirius can survive, in order to help regulate the price.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#25]
hmmm all of fords and dodges new cars come with sirius in them. i would think that would have to help alot. no matter what happens im sticking to sat radio. i just hope sirius makes it cause i like there music stations waaaaay more then XMs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got an XM Roadie and I like it. My only complaint is that the reception from the unit to my stereo isn't all that great. Alot of background noise. And I pretty much refuse to use the little cassette tape thing because I don't like alot of wires hangin around.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've got an XM Roadie and I like it. My only complaint is that the reception from the unit to my stereo isn't all that great. Alot of background noise. And I pretty much refuse to use the little cassette tape thing because I don't like alot of wires hangin around.

Depending on what kind of car you have, Crutchfield sells adapters that will plug into the CD changer port on your factory radio and give you a pair of line ins.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:15:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Krinkle Krinkle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#29]
My company car has XM and I don't like it, I bought a Sirius Starmate that I can move from car to car and also have the S50 installed in my car. Great product. I love Sirius.

If anyone knows where I can get the Home docking station for the S50, let me know.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:38:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Hoo Hoo I invented that, Tell 'em Fred!

But seriously, XM is head and shoulders above Sirius as far as technology goes. Sirius needs to come up with a portable unit, and not some piece of crap that records programming and you can listen to it later. That is called a MP3 player.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

But seriously, XM is head and shoulders above Sirius as far as technology goes. Sirius needs to come up with a portable unit, and not some piece of crap that records programming and you can listen to it later. That is called a MP3 player.

How so? Seriously, how is their radio tech better? Is it clearer, do they use a better multiplexing algorithm, a better data transmission protocol, etc? Size of the receiver means jack for me, as it'll be mounted in a vehicle. Just cause it's in a more portable package does not mean it's better.

I've been considering getting either a Sirius or XM module for my AVIC-N2 setup. Yah, getting XM with the NavTraffic thing would be cool...but I don't know how useful it'd be for me in daily driving. Odds are it'd only come in handy the couple times a year I slog cross-country (and pass through Chicago).

Since NavTraffic isn't going to be a dealbreaker...and since programming can always be changed later anyway (who knows, maybe O&A and Howard will wind up on the same sat network in a couple years)...I'm now more concerned with audio clarity, strength of signal, what kind of technology is used to send the signal, etc.  I've heard arguments for both XM and Sirius programming...I don't honestly care much for talk; news and whatnot is a concern (I want my news in the AM), but it's not going to be a dealbreaker either way.

XM has a lot of advertising on it's side and a lot of business, but it doesn't mean it's the technological winner. If I'm going to go with a product, it better be something that'll stand around longer without me having to buy new receivers or upgrade antennas and shit.

Does anyone know, in a technological back-end way, which one works out better?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#32]
From what I have read XM has invested far more into the backbone of their infrastructure. If you look at the technology of the units themselves XM clearly wipes the floor with Sirius. Sirius has supposedly had a truly portable unit coming "any time" for over a year now, XM has several.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How so? Seriously, how is their radio tech better? Is it clearer, do they use a better multiplexing algorithm, a better data transmission protocol, etc? Size of the receiver means jack for me, as it'll be mounted in a vehicle. Just cause it's in a more portable package does not mean it's better.

I've been considering getting either a Sirius or XM module for my AVIC-N2 setup. Yah, getting XM with the NavTraffic thing would be cool...but I don't know how useful it'd be for me in daily driving. Odds are it'd only come in handy the couple times a year I slog cross-country (and pass through Chicago).

Since NavTraffic isn't going to be a dealbreaker...and since programming can always be changed later anyway (who knows, maybe O&A and Howard will wind up on the same sat network in a couple years)...I'm now more concerned with audio clarity, strength of signal, what kind of technology is used to send the signal, etc.  I've heard arguments for both XM and Sirius programming...I don't honestly care much for talk; news and whatnot is a concern (I want my news in the AM), but it's not going to be a dealbreaker either way.

XM has a lot of advertising on it's side and a lot of business, but it doesn't mean it's the technological winner. If I'm going to go with a product, it better be something that'll stand around longer without me having to buy new receivers or upgrade antennas and shit.

With Howards ego it is never going to happen.
XM does use a "repeater" in the cities so you can still hear their stuff under bridges and surrounded by buildings. I don't know if Sirius does.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Hm just got this reply from a friend of mine:

Well, XM has two geostationary sats, one over the east coast, one over          
the west coast. Sirius has 3 geosyncronsis sats, each ones spends about        
16 hours a day with coverage over the US with atleast one at all times,        
and they have a 4th sat sitting to be launched if one of the 3 fails.          
Sirius also has ground repeaters in many cities, not sure if XM does.  

I like the idea of more satellites....Sirius is starting to look like a better choice to me.

I just wish they didn't have freaking Stern. God, that prick annoys me.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With Howards ego it is never going to happen.
XM does use a "repeater" in the cities so you can still hear their stuff under bridges and surrounded by buildings. I don't know if Sirius does.

the only time I have ever expeirienced XM signal loss is in a parking garage.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#36]
All I know is that in Sept I went from Va and drove 30 hrs north into upper Ontario and my XM picked up 100% of the time and never once lost signal. This was months before XM was even allowed in Canada. I never lost signal even in Toronto or way up in Timmons.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Hm just got this reply from a friend of mine:

Well, XM has two geostationary sats, one over the east coast, one over          
the west coast. Sirius has 3 geosyncronsis sats, each ones spends about        
16 hours a day with coverage over the US with atleast one at all times,        
and they have a 4th sat sitting to be launched if one of the 3 fails.          
Sirius also has ground repeaters in many cities, not sure if XM does.  

I like the idea of more satellites....Sirius is starting to look like a better choice to me.

I just wish they didn't have freaking Stern. God, that prick annoys me.

XM has three sats as well, and one being built on the ground (might be done).  XM has repeaters in most major cities.  Article from 2003.  Sat launched in Feb. 2005.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:48:57 AM EDT
[#38]
The bottom line for me is XM works, maybe Sirius does too. I don't care about Sirius though because the units you and I can buy are stone age compared to the features in the XM units.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The bottom line for me is XM works, maybe Sirius does too. I don't care about Sirius though because the units you and I can buy are stone age compared to the features in the XM units.

+1.  But if you have Sirius be sure to listen to Ferrall..oh wait a minute...

Here is a current article breaking down both services:

XM vs. Little Doggie Company.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  But if you have Sirius be sure to listen to Ferrall..oh wait a minute...

Here is a current article breaking down both services:

XM vs. Little Doggie Company.

screw XM, the little dog had Richard Simmons
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#41]
And that useless hole Martha.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top