Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 9:07:16 AM EDT
http://www.bradycampaign.org/

"The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence united with the Million Mom March, and in partnership with independent state gun violence prevention groups, highlighted the progress made in its efforts to protect children from gun violence. Research from the Centers for
Disease Control shows an encouraging decrease in the number of children killed by guns. However, while some states have successfully strengthened their gun laws and blocked efforts by the gun lobby to weaken existing laws, a number of states continue to drag their feet on gun safety measures, putting children in danger."

http://www.bradycampaign.org/press/rc03/rc_2002.pdf

(Note: requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)

Massachusetts: A- [:(]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Florida: D+

Woo-hoo! [beer]

Could be better, but worth celebrating, nonetheless.

When are these idiots going to come up with a name that can be pronounced in only one breath?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Idaho: F+

Now I am not from Idaho, but I obviuosly need to go talk to some of my previous teachers. I need to inform them on this F+ thing. I always thought an F was an F. I guess in this case, an F is a good thing, though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
These people are unbelievable.  They give Maryland an [b]A[/b] and Virginia a [b]C-[/b].  Who has a higher crime rate?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#4]
A D+ for Michigan?  What the hell

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Some states have an asterisk next to the "grade".  What does it represent?

Time to buy some property is Idaho!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Missouri C

[:(]

Wish I could carry [s]legally[/s]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#8]
what does the * next to some grades mean?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Eleven states won Sensible Safety Stars for protecting children from gun violence last year. Sensible Safety Star states heeded the concern of their residents by resisting efforts to weaken common sense laws and by enacting laws that protect children from guns".

Looks like more of the "think of the children" song and dance routine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Alabama - F

[headbang] [bow]

USPC40

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=469[/img]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#12]
[b][size=6]WHAT A BUNCH OF HORSESHIT.[/b][/size=6]

quit posting horseshit. as if we care about the bradybunch and MMM campaign. fuck em.  the most violence done to kids last year was committed by sexual predators. where the fuck were they then???

protecting the predators' rights probably.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:05:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Arizona gets a D+ 82 children dead.

Oh yea Arizona recieved the "Sensible Safety Star" for strengthening its background check system to prevent mentally ill people from buying guns.

Anybody know what the profile is for children? Is it 18 and under? Because most of the killing we see here is by gangs. 15 to 25 years of age.

From Arizona's report card.

"Arizona also [b]forces[/b] police to let people carry hidden handguns in public and does not require background checks at gun shows.

Forces? WTF
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Are We Protecting Our Children?
Grading States for Laws Related to Children and Guns
The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence 2002 Report Card
STATE GRADE STATE GRADE
Alabama F
Montana F
Alaska D-
Nebraska B-*
Arizona D*
Nevada D
Arkansas D
New Hampshire D+
California A-*
New Jersey A-*
Colorado C-*
New Mexico D+*
Connecticut A-*
New York B+
Delaware C
North Carolina C
Florida D+
North Dakota D
Georgia D
Ohio D+
Hawaii A-
Oklahoma D
IdahoF+
Oregon CIllinois
B+
Pennsylvania D+

Indiana D-
Rhode Island BIowa
C+
South Carolina C-*

Kansas C+
South Dakota D
Kentucky F
Tennessee D+
Louisiana F
Texas D
MaineF
Utah D
MarylandA
Vermont D
Massachusetts
A-
Virginia C
Michigan
D+ Washington D+

Minnesota C+*
West Virginia D
Mississippi F
Wisconsin C+*
Missouri C*
Wyoming F
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know where I can get similar stats for crime rates per state.  I bet that we could get a pretty good correlation between high grades from Brady and high crime rates.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#16]
YEE HAW!!!!!

TEXAS got a D- [bounce][bounce][bounce]

We will work to ....um ...er improve that grade next time around.

A D- from that wacko croud is a badge of honor!

rdr
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Massachusetts got an A-?  My friend said you need to have a handgun permit to buy a BB gun in MA.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Texas only got a D???

WTF is up with that?!?!  I want an F-!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

"Eleven states won Sensible Safety Stars for protecting children from gun violence last year. Sensible Safety Star states heeded the concern of their residents by resisting efforts to weaken common sense laws and by enacting laws that protect children from guns".

Looks like more of the "think of the children" song and dance routine.
View Quote

Thanks Login.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#21]
[b]Louisiana[/b] got an 'F'!!

[b]Ahhh-Haaaaa! Mais yeah![/b]

Lousiana - Texas with a lot of water.

Eric The(EasyNow!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
[b][size=6]WHAT A BUNCH OF HORSESHIT.[/b][/size=6]

quit posting horseshit. as if we care about the bradybunch and MMM campaign. fuck em.  the most violence done to kids last year was committed by sexual predators. where the fuck were they then???

protecting the predators' rights probably.
View Quote

You/I/we should care. I say fuck-em too, but these are the ass' that are looking to take away our RKBA one way or another. They don't carry as much sway or influence as they once did, but that doesn't mean we should let our guard down for even one second. By keeping each other abreast of what they're up to the better position we're in to counter their BS.

Right now [url=http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=brady+guns&btnG=Search+News]a few newspapers are reporting this[/url]. By tomorrow or the end of the week they'll probably be more. How many of these newspapers will carry or print a rebuttal?
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#23]
NY is the only state in the union that got a B+? I don't like this grading system. It reminds me of illiterate cheaters who already know the answers to a test but intentionally get an answer or 2 wrong so they can get like a b or B+ instead of raising suspicions with an A+.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#24]
AimSmall (and anyone else in MO) go here [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=32&t=529&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Alabama - F

[headbang] [bow]

USPC40

[url]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/url]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[url]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=469[/url]
View Quote

OH MY GOD!!!!

I must take my wife and kid and leave this barbaric state at once[:O]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#26]
A-* for Jersey. [:(] I could be happy in this stinkin pile of shit of a state without all the fucking liberals screwing the system every which way. And can you believe some asswipe actually suggested we renickname the state the [i]Bill of Rights State[/i]. (I guess that'd make as much sense as [i]The Garden State.[/i] I always figured that referred to the high levels of manure in Trenton.) These pathetic people don't even know what the Bill of Rights is. Torturous irony.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Massachusetts got an A-?  My friend said you need to have a handgun permit to buy a BB gun in MA.
View Quote

Nahhh, it hasn't gotten that bad [b]yet[/b].

[url]http://www.goal.org/MGL/bbguns.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#28]
montana got an F  

/quote
Montana again received an F because it is among the worst states in the nation at protecting its children from gun violence. Montana does not regulate sale or possession of guns by kids, does not hold adults responsible for leaving loaded guns around children, does not require child-safety locks to be sold with guns and has no safety standards for handguns. Furthermore, Montana forces police to let people carry hidden handguns in public and does not require background checks at gun shows. Not surprisingly, Montana's youth gun death rate is significantly higher than the national average -- 76% higher. In 2000, the most recent year for which data is available, 18 children and teens in Montana died from gunfire. This represents the third highest youth firearm death rate in the nation in 2000.
/quote

[sniper2]

18 kids died from gunfire.  what was CA's number again? and they get an A-?

PROUD to be in montana.

Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's Jersey you're thinkin of!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I just put a comparison together from the Brady Grades and the violent crime rates.

Can you all take a look at it and tell me what you think.

(note: right click and save the target to download the pdf)
[url]http://www.iceknightconsulting.com/state_grades_vs_rates.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Yippie! Kentucky got an F. Now how can we get that "up" to an F-?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top