Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2002 5:40:58 PM EDT
what is it?? never heard of it.
my sister in law and her husband are all strung out on it.both are in their mid 30s.my sister in-law is really messed up(mentally)both are long time druggies. the sad part is they have 3yr old. of course they are smoking crack and doing methamphetamine also.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
a sort of methamphetamine you smoke.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I first heard of it in Hawaii about 10 years ago. LEO out there knows it's the drug of choice for the Samoans and Tongans. Bad stuff. Get your friends help. Otherwise, xxxxx xxxx cause it will fry there brains.

Edited to remove the words "shoot them". I didn't want to offend anyone.[8)]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Methamphetamines and amphetamines are highly addictive and dangerous stimulants.

The physical effects of methamphetamines and amphetamines are in creased alertness, euphoria, appetite loss, dilated pupils, elevated heart rate, increased respiration, and elevated body temperature. Prolonged use of these drugs can cause blurred vision, dizziness, loss of coordination, and collapse. An overdose can result in high blood pressure, fever, stroke, and heart failure.

Pretty nasty stuff and highly addictive. Fair warning, those under the influence can be very unpredictable and violent...

Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah this stuff(ICE)was suppose to overtake the crack epidemic.  It never really took off like they thought, but it is pretty bad and like someone mentioned earlier it needs to be treated ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I first heard of it in Hawaii about 10 years ago. LEO out there knows it's the drug of choice for the Samoans and Tongans. Bad stuff.
View Quote

Yeah, it seems to be a Hawaiian thing, I was surprised walt's from Texas and mentioning its use there.

Kind of a funny story.  My brother in law was on Kauai 10 years ago, when this Ice epidemic started. He was buck naked on a nude beach when some Hawaiian tweaker sticks him up with a gun and demands his wallet.

Mark said "Asshole!  I'm fucking naked!  I dont have a wallet to give you!"  The thief's gun also had one of those red plastic plugs in the muzzle, so it was plainly a toy.

That crap must do something bad to your brains.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I first heard of it in Hawaii about 10 years ago. LEO out there knows it's the drug of choice for the Samoans and Tongans. Bad stuff. Get your friends help. Otherwise, xxxxx xxxx cause it will fry there brains.

Edited to remove the words "shoot them". I didn't want to offend anyone.[8)]
View Quote
Brains what brains??? Sorry!
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Yo Walttx

Go to Google and type in "Ice form of crank"
I got 19800 hits---everything you wanted to know and then some...!

[url]http://www.methamphetamine.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a word of advice of personal knowledge from a friend of mine.... AMPHETAMINE ADDICTS CAN'T QUITE COLD TURKEY!!!!!  They require extensive inpatient therapy

Keving67
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Ice is a form of methamphetamine created by a sort of 'purification' process.  It's very bad stuff.  I had to fight a guy who was on it once.  It took six of us to subdue him, and we still almost had to kill him because he managed to get one of my partners in a chokehold and was attempting to crush his throat.  The suspect felt absolutely no pain.  Pepper spray, baton blows, and focused strikes had absolutely ZERO effect on this guy.  He could barely move the next day at the jail, but when he was on it he was darn near unstoppable.

Crank and ice addiction is indeed extremely difficult to overcome.  Many, many people have lost everything they have to crank, even after quitting multiple times.

Do the 3-year old a favor, if they won't quit then get children's services involved and get the kid out of there.  The absolute worst place for a kid is a cranker house.  I've taken kids out of cranker houses I wouldn't keep pigs in.  It's absolutely incredible how little they care about their kids- the drug means everything.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Call Child Protective Services God-Damnit!  That is clearly priority #1.

No offense intended at all.

Do it today.
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's an interesting bit of intel,(IMHO)
The Japenese Yakuza (Mafia) invented "ICE" and the second in command of the Yakuza in Tokyo was found beheaded three weeks after the release of the drug onto the open market.
It seems that they were charging about 10 bucks a pop for an ICE rock and the speed freaks would smoke it and be wired for 24 hours(repeat business =not much),so being that it was the second in commands idea for research and development he was to blame.
They found his headless body in an alley.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]
In this area ICE is a very very pure form a methamphetamine.  I won't go into details about the process...but it is "washed" many times to get it pure.

OH...and any form of methamphetamine can be smoked.  Aluminum foil a straw and a lighter is all you need.

medcop
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#13]
ChrisLe - you forgot that prolonged use also causes severe paranoia (possibly due to lack of sleep for days and changes in brain neurotransmitters), making addicts very dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 2:56:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Many years ago, in the academy, the instructor from passed around a very small piece of this stuff in a glass tube. He gace the same basic information that everyone else here has given (that it was a very pure form of Meth), that this was the ONLY sample ever recovered by LE in the state, that it was rare, and worth about $20,000 for the little piece in the vial.

I have heard from a couple of places that this stuff is an emerging trend and is really popping up in the Southwest. We could see a repeat of all of the Crack troubles in the 1980s. Hang on, this could be a pretty rough ride...
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 4:47:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ChrisLe - you forgot that prolonged use also causes severe paranoia (possibly due to lack of sleep for days and changes in brain neurotransmitters), making addicts very dangerous.
View Quote

Absolutely correct. I just covered it indirectly by noting that chronic users are violent and unpredictable...
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 5:12:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Kind of a funny story.  My brother in law was on Kauai 10 years ago, when this Ice epidemic started. He was buck naked on a nude beach when some Hawaiian tweaker sticks him up with a gun and demands his wallet.

Mark said "A55hole!  I'm fvcking naked!  I don't have a wallet to give you!"  The thief's gun also had one of those red plastic plugs in the muzzle, so it was plainly a toy.
View Quote

Now that's a funny story!

I have a friend from HW. I'll have to ask him about all this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In this area ICE is a very very pure form a methamphetamine.  I won't go into details about the process...but it is "washed" many times to get it pure.
View Quote

Correct. "ICE" is simply highly refined Methamphetamine.

Most meth labs end the process when the finished product is still yello/brown and clumpy. There is no need to refine the product any further except for asthetic value.

Link Posted: 8/23/2002 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
what is it?? never heard of it.
my sister in law and her husband are all strung out on it.both are in their mid 30s.my sister in-law is really messed up(mentally)both are long time druggies. the sad part is they have 3yr old. of course they are smoking crack and doing methamphetamine also.
View Quote

Call CPS and get the kid away from them!  you keep it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Agreed on calling social services.  Get the kid out, he's the only one with half a chance...
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#20]
dudes...as an ex druggie, lemme tell ya...ice is NOT a NARCOTIC!

nar ka tihk
  Definition 1. capable of causing drowsiness, loss of consciousness, or numbness.
  Synonyms   soporific (1) , opiate (2) , sedative
  Crossref. Syn.   anesthetic
  Similar Words   lenitive , anesthetic , hypnotic
  Definition 2. of or pertaining to a drug or drugs having such capability.
  Synonyms   depressant , opiate (1,2) , sedative
  Crossref. Syn.   anesthetic
  Similar Words   analgesic , pharmaceutical , anesthetic
  Definition 3. of or pertaining to addicts of such drugs or to their treatment.
  Similar Words   addictive

Related Words   restful , lethargic , drowsy

it's just another type of speed, upper or whatever they call it, these days.

and i seriously doubt it is any more "pure" or "kickass" than what we had in the early '70's. ever watch a dude run meth? or go on a 4-day speed run? or take acid for 2 days in a row with some clickers thrown in for fun?

nothing new under the sun.

walt, i hope your s-i-l and hubby get some help. sounds like a bad situation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
dudes...as an ex druggie, lemme tell ya...ice is NOT a NARCOTIC!

View Quote

Campy is technically correct. Methamphetamine is not a Narcotic.

However most people consider "Narcotic" to simply mean any illegal drug and someday the common usage dictionary will reflect that.

Methamphetamine is not new. Southern California Biker gangs got rich off it in the 80's. My dads generation called it "crank". The tweekers I arrest now call it "speed".

Personally the most dangerous "new" drug out there is GHB. an odorless slightly cloudy liquid, which when taken in small doses produces a mild euphoria. the signs of overdose are appearance of extreme intoxication, with no odor of alcohol, followed by death.

Becuase mild overdoses cause blackouts its a popular date rape drug.

Parents; if your kid comes home "drunk" but doesnt smell like booze, sobers up really fast, with no hangover, suspect GHB.
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Speed , crank ..what ever you want to call it is old. hell the Nazi's used it in WWII! But like all thing... the more you work on something the better it gits.Its more prue today.If you you want the scoop talk to MEDCOP he works with the stuff.

I ant got No time for a tweeker!
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ice is a form of methamphetamine created by a sort of 'purification' process.  It's very bad stuff.  I had to fight a guy who was on it once.  It took six of us to subdue him, and we still almost had to kill him because he managed to get one of my partners in a chokehold and was attempting to crush his throat.  The suspect felt absolutely no pain.  Pepper spray, baton blows, and focused strikes had absolutely ZERO effect on this guy.  He could barely move the next day at the jail, but when he was on it he was darn near unstoppable.

Crank and ice addiction is indeed extremely difficult to overcome.  Many, many people have lost everything they have to crank, even after quitting multiple times.

Do the 3-year old a favor, if they won't quit then get children's services involved and get the kid out of there.  The absolute worst place for a kid is a cranker house.  I've taken kids out of cranker houses I wouldn't keep pigs in.  It's absolutely incredible how little they care about their kids- the drug means everything.
View Quote

CPS did not help a baby here. Mom was smoking so much crack, that the baby died of overexposure to the secondhand smoke. It's a REAL BIG story in Phoenix. It is said that CPS knew that the infant was in a bad situation, and did not interfere. I don't know............
AB
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#26]
First, the only thing "new" about "ice" is the name. Even the hysterical media about it is not new. For a good background on how speed got to be such a popular drug see "How Speed Was Popularized" in the Consumers Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs at http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/Library/studies/cu/cumenu.htm

Basically, the message of that chapter (and other similar chapters in that book) is that the major use of such drugs always follows the big media scare, rather than preceding it.

As for it causing violence, the only drug with any real association with drug-induced violence is alcohol. See "Psychoactive Substances and Violence," US DOJ, Feb. 1994 at http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/govpubs/psycviol.htm

Campy is technically correct. Methamphetamine is not a Narcotic.

However most people consider "Narcotic" to simply mean any illegal drug and someday the common usage dictionary will reflect that.
View Quote

Yes, that is a common misuse of the word which underlies much of our national drug policy and leads to entirely erroneous conclusions and stupid laws to try to address the problem. The one common feature of those who run and support this policy is that they don't know anything about the subject -- the misuse of the word "narcotic" being just one example.

Methamphetamine is not new. Southern California Biker gangs got rich off it in the 80's. My dads generation called it "crank". The tweekers I arrest now call it "speed".
View Quote

And Hitler used it to keep his army going during the Blitzkrieg and the US Air Force gives it to pilots to keep them awake on long flights.

Personally the most dangerous "new" drug out there is GHB. an odorless slightly cloudy liquid, which when taken in small doses produces a mild euphoria. the signs of overdose are appearance of extreme intoxication, with no odor of alcohol, followed by death.
View Quote

Really? How many people are actually killed by this drug in the US in a typical year? Just to keep things in perspective, can you list the number of people killed by the other drugs in a typical year?

Becuase mild overdoses cause blackouts its a popular date rape drug.
View Quote

Alcohol is, and always has been, the most popular date rape drug.

Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really? How many people are actually killed by this drug in the US in a typical year? Just to keep things in perspective, can you list the number of people killed by the other drugs in a typical year?

View Quote

Note I said "personally" meaning in my experiance. I'm my small patrol area last year we only had three drug overdoses that required hospitalization. All three were accidental overdose of GHB.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Speed , crank ..what ever you want to call it is old. hell the Nazi's used it in WWII!
View Quote

No. Amphetamines of various forms are old. Not all Amphetamines are Methamphetamines. Methamphetamine wasnt invented until the 60's.

Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Note I said "personally" meaning in my experiance. I'm my small patrol area last year we only had three drug overdoses that required hospitalization. All three were accidental overdose of GHB.
View Quote

Ok. Fair enough. Just note that nationally, tobacco kills about 400,000 per year, alcohol about 100,000, prescription drugs about 100,000, versus about 10,000 for all the illegal drugs combined. It is not a good idea to take it, but it is also important to keep a little perspective on its dangers.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Ice Ice baby[whacko]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top