Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Posted: 7/21/2010 5:30:37 PM EDT

who's gonna watch season 2?  starts next tuesday.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I need to watch season 1, I saw a commercial for it and it looks awesome.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

i know a few on here didn't like it but i thought it was really good for a SHTF reality type show

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i know a few on here didn't like it but i thought it was really good for a SHTF reality type show

Hated the "ending", there was a lot of WTF in the whole season but the ending was

Lot of good info in it regardless, as well as the opportunity to sit on the couch and go "That didn't/wouldn't work, I won't be trying that."

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
It wasn't great but I appreciated it enough to watch.  The introduction to the gasifier was enough to justify watching the whole thing.  Hopefully they've learned and this one will be better.

You'd think they'd advertise it better though.  Your post is the first thing I've seen about the premier.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
ill watch it. the first was.............a stretch. and you can tell its a bunch of liberals. the one guy with military training cut up a bunch of 12ga shells to make fireworks. uh hello? 3/4in pipe anyone?

but i thought it was good, women during a shtf will not be as useful if that show can be believed
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks good in the preview.

Hope it's not as lame as the first season.

Sure, some decent engineering in it, but still LAME.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hated the "ending", there was a lot of WTF in the whole season but the ending was

Lot of good info in it regardless, as well as the opportunity to sit on the couch and go "That didn't/wouldn't work, I won't be trying that."

yeah it was a good discussion on things they did and if it would work in a real SHTF situation.  if i remember people had issues with all the different things they had access to but most of this stuff had to be fabricated with other stuff to work.  

true, the escape was dumb as well as some things during the season

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#8]
ironically, I saw a preview for this season on xbox live, then I read your post. I liked the first season as well. and I too said at times...I wouldn't do that or something to that nature. hopefully I can remember to watch it. thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I would love to see someone on that show who wasn't a metrosexual bitch boy.  

Someone who says, "hmmm.  Shit looks pretty grim... let's make some explosives, and we will need to figure out how to cook the bodies."  

Would get interesting at that point.  

Worrying about womens feelings and what not gets tiresome.  "hey folks, we are going to have to survive together, and either you are helping, or you are dinner... decide right fucking now."  
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Someone who says, "hmmm.  Shit looks pretty grim... let's make some explosives, and we will need to figure out how to cook the bodies."  

mike raines?

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Worrying about womens feelings and what not gets tiresome.  "hey folks, we are going to have to survive together, and either you are helping, or you are dinner... decide right fucking now."  

+1.  I've met some women I would want by my side if the SHTF.  I've met some that would be only useful as food.  Of course, I can say the same about men.

ETA:  FFNePA:  You should change the title to "The Colony 2:  Official Thread", just so you're ahead of the curve.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
i'll check it out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I enjoyed the first season. There were things that needed to be improves on but im sure they will. I thought it was a interesting social experiment. Seeing how the inner workings of a group change in a crisis situation. Ill watch the second season.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:08:58 PM EDT
[#14]
They really need to get rid of or limit interaction with  "the others".  Both sides have their hands tied when it comes to hurting one another so whats the point?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump tag for next Tuesday.

Edit:  Meant tag.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I watched all of season 1 and thought it was watchable anyway.  I just looked and it was already set on the DVR because I had ssn 1 set for a series recording.  This one looks a little better than the first one..
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Season 1 was entertaining to watch. Some useful stuff, some annoying drama. Look forward to season 2 especially considering the location.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]
will be trying to set me DVD for next week.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ETA:  FFNePA:  You should change the title to "The Colony 2:  Official Thread", just so you're ahead of the curve.  

alright
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Didn't they have more people in season 1?  Looks like season 2 will just be 7 people?  Unless they meet up with more later.

Kinda makes sense though, if they're going to be more mobile than the first season, plus I think in any SHTF you really don't want to deal with larger groups.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They really need to get rid of or limit interaction with  "the others".  Both sides have their hands tied when it comes to hurting one another so whats the point?

i think they do it for the stress factor and to keep them on edge.  maybe they could let them fight but only with fists  

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]
looks like it might be interesting.

there's noting else worth watching on TV anyway.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I liked season 1, except for the fact that only the bad guys had guns, and they had to "use" their made up weapons.  If they had a single firearm they could have turned things around for all of their "interactions".

The Molotov Cocktails were cool, but everything else weapon-wise kinda sucked, especially since they weren't going to actually use them (not even in CGI).

Besides the above issue, I thought it was a great show. I'm sure it taught some sheep a few things.

I'm really looking forward to season 2

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I liked season 1, except for the fact that only the bad guys had guns, and they had to "use" their made up weapons.  If they had a single firearm they could have turned things around for all of their "interactions".

The Molotov Cocktails were cool, but everything else weapon-wise kinda sucked, especially since they weren't going to actually use them (not even in CGI).

Besides the above issue, I thought it was a great show. I'm sure it taught some sheep a few things.

I'm really looking forward to season 2

Good point.

I would like to see some real weapons.

Even simunition loaded firearms would be real enough.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Season 1 was entertaining to watch. Some useful stuff, some annoying drama. Look forward to season 2 especially considering the location.

I agree I think it looks like a more spread out location than just warehouse which will definately change the dynamic.  I know the single small location added to the stress and I guess was a little more realistic as people would probably want to be together for protection.  I do think that REAL realism is impossible as they of course can't kill any one and that is one factor of a SHTF scenario that will probably be a large fact of life, look how quickly people started needed to start shooting in Katrina and the world was still in place.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#26]
IN!

The show was alright, but I had an absolute blast making fun of it with you bitches.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#27]
The obligatory hot chick doesn't look that bad.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Kickball for restless adults.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
IN!

The show was alright, but I had an absolute blast making fun of it with you bitches.

This is why I am excited about it
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Paintball or air soft  replicas to fill the lack of firearms void.That would be optimal.Hell even simunitions.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#31]
too many fucking liberals and stupid bitches on the last show. almost made it unbearable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

there was a lot of "reality TV" drama but they did manage to come up with some cool shit with the stuff they had on hand and what they scavenged. I think the biggest problem all of us had was there lack of firearms, granted this was set in CA i just dont most of us here can fathom a SHTF scenario without having a good firearm with us and that show definitely lacked that perspective.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I am disappointed again to see the producers have once again not taken a real combat veteran that is actively in the US military or recently out.  There is a retired contractor was a Marine in the 1960s but it doesn't mention if he went to Vietnam. There is a big difference in mindset between someone who was in the military 50 yeas ago and someone recently out.

I will watch season 2 for the "junk yard wars" builds but not much in the way of practical survival info.

The annoyingly whiny liberal women in the first season will not be missed. They never really embraced the show as anything more than a game.

The show will be hard pressed to find someone as cool as the professor again. He was a highlight of season 1.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Without guns it just doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Seems like liberal propaganda. Look we can survive without guns. Not in my world.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#36]
The Colony 1628

anyone ever watch this?

"Colonial House" is PBS's answer to reality television. Over the course of five months, "settlers" are forced to adapt to life as it was in the year 1628, on a desolate stretch of coastal Maine. As the group strains to establish a working colony with only the equipment and knowledge of the time period, viewers get a glimpse at life as the Pilgrims experienced it. It's like a living slice of history!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:49:26 AM EDT
[#37]
The women in the first season needed to be slapped and the ex-con and the anger management issue guys needed to take over and form a dictatorship.

All these nancy pancy feelings hurt and lets all help everyone bull shit wouldn't fly in a real shtf situation. You will either do as you are told or you will be outside on your own.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

My wife made an observation about that last year.  "I'm thinking that problem would best be solved with a couple of rifles."  That's why I married her, oh, and also because she probably was going to kill me and feed me to the vultures if I didn't.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Remember when that silly chick thought that they should build a gym before they had a way to even collect water?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#41]
The first one was ok.  There where a few people in the group that would have been more valuable as food, than as team members though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The women in the first season needed to be slapped and the ex-con and the anger management issue guys needed to take over and form a dictatorship.

The ex-con and the handyman tried to both slap the women into reality and form a dictatorship.  They were almost run off by everyone else for doing so.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ex-con and the handyman tried to both slap the women into reality and form a dictatorship.  They were almost run off by everyone else for doing so.

That was because there was 2 type A personalities and 8 type B.

Also the dumbest part of the first season was when they found shotgun shells and made them into fireworks when they could have made a shotgun in a few hours.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#44]
I just hope they have another mad scientist on the show. I like seeing what the smart ones think of and then try to build.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:50:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

As above.

Also: no guns? If you picked five (? how many) people down here at least one of them (realistically better than half) would definitely have enough guns to arm the rest.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Definitely watching this one but last season was pretty lame. The whole thing was staffed with people who in a real SHTF wouldnt last out of the first 2 weeks. I agree that it would be much better if experienced survival types were doing it instead of douchebags who were 'casted'
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#47]
I've got a buddy who was a camera man on the production crew and he had some pretty cool stories.  Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Without guns it just doesn't make sense.

This is why I couldn't make it through the first season.  It's just not realistic.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've got a buddy who was a camera man on the production crew and he had some pretty cool stories.  Looking forward to it.

Whatever you do, don't let us in on the stories, you jack wagon.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Watched all of season 1 on demand this past week; just finished it tonight.

I'm in.

I'm also in the mood to watch season 1 of Jericho again now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top