Scott

Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Half-Life counterstrike. Nuf said...
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#3]
CounterStrike's community sucks and it's one of the most popular games there are for lame idiots to try to ruin.    Very few "good" servers exist where you can get a decent quality gaming experience, that's why I deleted counterstrike from my hard drive MONTHS ago.

I'm waiting for the 2.6 candidate of Firearms mod to come out for Halflife, it's likely already my most favorite mod out there and with the next update it should get even better.   CounterStrike is about as repetitive as banging your head against a wall, Firearms typically has so many modes of game play all on one map that you can change it up at a moments notice and have a huge impact on game play or turnout.

Operation Flashpoint just came out and it doesn't impress me much, I got it I've played it and it's a decent single player game but after awhile I just find myself resorting to killing my own side to see how long I can survive.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, there are too many hackers and cheaters in Counter Strike. It ruins the game strategy, you end up just running around crazy kamakazi style like in Q3.

Some cheaters don't even need to hack the code, the Asus Geforce 2 videos cards have an option for the users play in polygon "see-through" mode. So they can see through the walls. There are several auto aim and shoot cheats too. I like Tribes 2 much better.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN!!

I thought the new one would suck.. but I hadn't given it that much thought, and man was I wrong.  When this thing gets released it will be awsome.   There is actually a good amount of strategy to this FPS.  There is a demo that you can download... this is based on the quake3 engine so the graphics are top notch.

I've never played counter strike basically because I don't have a windows or mac with a GL accelerated card in it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definately is!
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quake2 without a doubt.  Millions of players daily worldwide in it's hey-day, with tens of thousands of clans or clubs.

Loved playing it myself.  I referred to it as "digital heroine."
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Used to be, and will always have a special place in my heart. The new voice option in the lastest version will give it some more life. But it is so filled with rampant cheating. Many of the cheats have tell signs and it is very discouraging to be in a game where most of the people are cheating. :(  I finally got so sick of it all that I got all the cheats out there to see how they worked, and yes some work even with punkbuster. Without being obvious (AIMBOT/WALLHACK) you can use whitewalls, gun stabilization, anti-flashbang, etc. I think there are like 20+ cheats in all.

Just too many kids. Plus it seems to have more problems with lag than other games. Urban Terror (using the q3 engine) is different but an overall improvement. I've also seen experienced players come out on top with much worse ping (like 200 more!) - something that is more rare with CS - and thus slightly more balanced for those without the best dsl and t3 connections.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Infiltration mod for Unreal Tournament.

EOD.

[url]http://www.planetunreal.com/infiltration/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as I'm concerned Counter-Strike was the best online game.  Unfortunately it has definitely seen its heyday come and go.  Urban Terror show promise but is not there yet.  I just love watching a CS server develop as rounds go on.  Watching tactics develop and teams gel is what a multiplayer experience is all about.  I have yet to see this level of interaction with Urban Terror.

With that said I agree the adolescent mindset and cheating have eroded the game.  The new voice feature just serves to remind me I can get my ass kicked by pre-pubescent!  

I think there may be better games out there already but CS is the defending champ.  Until the next big game can show that it is undisputedly better then CS then it is all conjecture.  It is only a matter of time [:(]

Viva la Counter-Strike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top