Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2017 2:45:26 AM EDT
Sore calf muscle, cramping hamstring... What can I expect from a couple hours a day zapping therapy from a 30 dollar chinese TENS unit ?

Are these things legit, or are they "fake Science "?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:50:16 AM EDT
The one I got for my lower back seems to help. It is the Alieve one.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:51:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2017 2:52:02 AM EDT by Yarael]
Works ok. I got one that I though would help get rid of the knot in my shoulder blade, just couldn't get the pads in the right spot to work from where the knot is. Didn't work for that cause really nothing does yet for other things works ok at. Although for me for just pain relief nothing really works due to what causes the pain.

ETA for the caves didn't do anything but make the charlie horses worse. Yet that was just me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:51:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Fullpower:
Sore calf muscle, cramping hamstring... What can I expect from a couple hours a day zapping therapy from a 30 dollar chinese TENS unit ?

View Quote

Knowing nothing about it, I've had it used a few times on a fucked up elbow and it definately helps at least in the short term.

Pro sports uses it, whatever that means.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:52:09 AM EDT
I use one on my back. While not a cure all it does relieve my lower back pain.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:52:31 AM EDT
Mine helps when I need it (lower back injury). It sort of scrambles the signals the nerves are sending the brain to help reduce the pain. It's not intended to be a cure, just help control the symptoms for a while.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:54:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2017 2:54:55 AM EDT by bigtex84]
They make the pain worse so when you take it off it feels better for a while

ETA I didn't like mine
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:55:20 AM EDT
Depends on what's causing you pain.

They are of no use whatsoever to me.

They probably do okay on sore muscles and maybe some nerve pains.

Arthritis, joint pain,  etc..  They do nothing for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:01:09 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By foursixty:
Depends on what's causing you pain.

They are of no use whatsoever to me.

They probably do okay on sore muscles and maybe some nerve pains.

Arthritis, joint pain,  etc..  They do nothing for me.
View Quote
Arthritis, joint pain,  etc. They don't do shit. Nerve pain I have heard they work yet with the paid I deal with all day nothing and do not help with the knots in the shoulders I have.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:06:35 AM EDT
They work by overstimulating muscles to tire them out thus forcing them to relax.  Good for back spasms.  Not great, but they help.  Even more so when paired with heat.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:10:25 AM EDT
Have you tried ointments,ice,heat,meds,inversion etc? It is all a racket, and im sitting here 6 days post surgery on my lumbar.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:26:56 AM EDT
PT used it for my bulging cervical discs.

Bullshit therapy as far as I'm concerned. Then again, I thought pretty much everything they did/said was bullshit. Which is why I stopped going and did rehab on my own.

In retrospect, my experience is heavily biased due to my disdain for the PT profession.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:56:29 AM EDT
It's meant to disrupt a nerve signal with an electrical impulse, which makes sense. If your pain is nerve related there is a chance it could help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:59:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By frayedknot:
PT used it for my bulging cervical discs.

Bullshit therapy as far as I'm concerned. Then again, I thought pretty much everything they did/said was bullshit. Which is why I stopped going and did rehab on my own.

In retrospect, my experience is heavily biased due to my disdain for the PT profession.

YMMV
View Quote
I had worse experience with doctors providing shitty diagnoses to me/my PT so they were wasting their time and my time/money.

Although I do agree they said a lot of the work was meant to be diagnostics they never proved shit. A good orthopedic surgeon told me the exact cause in less than 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:01:47 AM EDT
Gate theory
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:56:12 AM EDT
My first experience with TENS was in PT.
When I learned of the personal version I picked one up.
Every once in a while my shoulder gets knotted up and puts pressure on the nerve. I used to have to go to the doc for a shot, now I just my TENS for a couple days to make it go away.

It's a tool, if you use it for what it was made for it's good. But it's not a magic cure all.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:44:31 AM EDT
My physical therapist used it on me while I was recovering from shoulder surgery and for problems with my neck.  I don't think it helped a bit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:53:45 AM EDT
Used one in PT after a knee injury.  It seems to work to rebuild my thigh muscle.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:00:32 AM EDT
I gave a cheap one a try for 2 weeks for my calf and knee from crushing-pain I occasionally get from the prosthetic leg.

I don't believe it helped much.

Wish I tried it on my lower back before I tossed it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:12:57 AM EDT
I have a lot of nerve damage to my lower leg, sometimes my calf will lock up as a result. A few minutes on a TENS unit and I'm right as rain, drug free.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:20:23 AM EDT
My chiropractor used to use one on my lower back before she would do an adjustment. She quit using it on me after it got to the point where my back wasn't really responding at nearly full power.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:41:58 AM EDT
I''ve had success using one on muscle spasms, back, shoulder neck..used while sipping tequila helps a bunch more..
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:44:55 AM EDT
Lots of negative experiences on here, I guess I'm the anomaly. I love my TENS. If you have spams they help. If you have tight muscles they help. If you have back pain due to a herniated disk they help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:45:23 AM EDT
Scam - they work on placebo effect or pain displacement - depends on model.

If back / shoulders / etc hurt like hell - may as well have wife kick you in the balls. Amazingly the back pain goes away. Same principle.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:49:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bigtex84:
They make the pain worse so when you take it off it feels better for a while

ETA I didn't like mine
View Quote
Same here. Jerry Lewis swears by his though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:52:27 AM EDT
Had rotator cuff surgery three years ago.  Bone got reshaped, some necrotic muscle, cartilage, and other stuff removed.

Started using one in PT.  It helped with pain.

After PT I bought a $50 wireless one on Amazon.

It doesn't cure anything, but even today when my shoulder tightens up and aches, half an hour with the TENS stuck to my shoulder helps more than a couple of percocet.  Without the constipation.

After three years of effective use it's certainly not a placebo effect thing.

I guess it depends on the person and the injury.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:57:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2017 7:58:40 AM EDT by bushmaster1]
Worked amazing for me for my lower back.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:00:30 AM EDT
Doesn't cure anything.  Helps reduce pain/relax muscles.  Works well for low back pain....knee arthritis not so much.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:00:38 AM EDT
I had some minor knee surgery a couple years ago.  First day out of the surgery, I could barely move any of the muscles in my leg.  My physical therapist said something to the effect of "the muscles haven't woken back up yet" and hooked me up to a TENS unit programmed for something called a Russian Wave I think.  He cranked it up until it hurt, then turned it a little further.  I was practically able to walk out of there.

For pain management, I haven't a clue but they sure as hell seem to work for post-op muscle recovery.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:05:50 AM EDT
I use one on my lower back. It doesn't stop the pain but the electrical stimulation is stronger than the pain so for me it helps to block the pain
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:14:31 AM EDT
It depends on the origin of the pain. I've used TENS units for years. I have messed up disks in my back which cause muscle spasms trying to protect the area. The TENS unit will kinda numb the area and allow the muscle to relax and let go. It won't do anything for skeletal pain, but will address the muscle pain in a way that anti-inflammatories cannot. I don't use anything else but the TENS and use it maybe three or four times a year.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:15:35 AM EDT
May help.  The problem is you can't do a real double blind test on something like that because it is obvious whether you're receiving the test treatment or a sham treatment.  So, all you can do is go off of subjective reports of users.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:16:55 AM EDT
Meh...

Did have a lot of fun trying to see who could stand it the longest sticking it to their face and turning up to 11 while drunk..
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:18:46 AM EDT
I use those with patients every now and then. Basically a pain-masking device, nothing more. In other words, it might make your back/neck/whatever feel better for a few hours, but it won't fix an underlying issue if there is one.

I keep one at home for the days my back hurts worse than normal. Helps me get to sleep.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:23:35 AM EDT
About 15 years ago I got in a nasty car wreck while I was int he Navy. I had some real issues with the muscles in my back, tight, sore, wouldn't relax. Hurt like hell. They did the electro shock thing on my back a few times and I was G2G. I think if done right, it could be helpful. Knowing exactly where to put the pads for certain muscles is probably vital to it working, as is understanding that it isn't a cure all.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:38:08 AM EDT
I had raging sciatic pain for several weeks. Chiropractic visit was NO help. Went to PT and borrowed an Interferential/TENS unit. PT said the Interferential setting worked better than the TENS for my situation as the TENS setting would just mask the pain. It worked for me.

Disclaimer: my study sample size was rather small (n=1). YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:41:13 AM EDT
If you have tight, knotted, pulled, or sore muscle in your back, a $3 lacrosse ball is your best friend. Lay on it and roll it into your muscles to get them to release and you'll feel brand new again. It's painful though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:41:42 AM EDT
I notice an improvement occasionally when I use mine to target the adductors/abductors and hip flexors after a few days of heavy squatting.

It doesn't do much on my shoulder or back.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:42:06 AM EDT
I think Pence uses electrical stimulation to remove the ghey from people.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:43:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Fullpower:

View Quote

Wife used one during pregnancy and it helped.

Recommended by the midwife and hospital.

Did come wit the caveat that results may vary.

NHS list it as a viable treatment for muscular skeletal pains - treats the symptoms rather than the cause IIRC.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tens/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:44:34 AM EDT
Like many have said, it depends on what's causing the pain.  I find them to be very helpful in my unique circumstances.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:49:59 AM EDT
general rule of thumb:  Anyone a physical therapist does, or gives you, is useless
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:57:49 AM EDT
It's worth saying again, TENS doesn't cure anything.  It may be an effective treatment for symptoms for some people.

In those cases where there is no viable cure for the underlying issues, it's great that there's something other than drugs for the pain.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:02:20 AM EDT
I absolutely saw an improvement with sciatica pain. I had a really rough stretch two years ago and was willing to try anything.

Definitely felt relief while it was on and for 10-15 minutes after. Helped me fall asleep.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:03:30 AM EDT
They work.
A buddy was one of the first to use one years ago; he loved it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:05:49 AM EDT
Doesn't cure anything but gives my wife immense relief with her sciatia issues.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:06:32 AM EDT
pain relief is it real or not

consider it real if it relieves your pain
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:06:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:06:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:11:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:16:38 AM EDT
I used one after my last of three surgeries on my lower arm from a motorcycle accident. Two previous surgeries failed when plates on radius and ulna broke. Third surgery went to a different doctor who used a tens device to encourage bone growth. I am a firm believer in the device.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top