Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/24/2003 11:01:07 AM EDT
I got a quote from a company called Carpenter Insurance that specializes in firearms collections. Not too bad. You state the value of each gun, and they will simply pay that amount if it gets lost or stolen, or damaged by fire, flood, etc.

Man, I need this insurance if I'm going to sleep at night.

For those who are homeowners, I know your homeowner's policy may cover your firearms, but would it not be better to have a dedicated policy for your guns?

Another company I looked into is at collectinsure.com - but I can't seem to get them on the phone via their toll free number. Not a good sign.

Anyway, who has dedicated gun insurance, or who feels secure their guns are covered on some rider on another policy like home or renters insurance?

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:07:39 AM EDT
BTT
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:33:20 AM EDT
Anyone?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:37:18 AM EDT
The GF and I have American Family renters insurance, and we specifically asked about our firearms before signing the policy. The agent stated (and showed us) that the firearms are covered, minus a $500 deductible. She instructed us to try and keep all our receipts for them, plus take pictures of all the guns also. We're satisfied.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:38:19 AM EDT
I put an additional rider on my homeowners policy (renters before that). That and the NRA insurance. Can't help you on the others.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:39:02 AM EDT
Buy you a good safe, and keep you're piehole shut about the fact you have a safe or any guns.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:42:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By einnor1040: Buy you a good safe, and keep you're piehole shut about the fact you have a safe or any guns.
View Quote
Fine for theft, but what about fire or flood (my biggest concerns)?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:52:20 AM EDT
A decent safe has a fire rating. They will protect your guns for a certain length of time up to a certain temp. If you get a fire like they just had out in Cali a few weeks ago, it won't help. I think you're pretty much SOL on flood damage if you can't get them and take em with you.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:54:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/24/2003 11:55:10 AM EDT by clean_cut]
Originally Posted By einnor1040: A decent safe has a fire rating. They will protect your guns for a certain length of time up to a certain temp. If you get a fire like they just had out in Cali a few weeks ago, it won't help. I think you're pretty much SOL on flood damage if you can't get them and take em with you.
View Quote
I guess I'm sticking with this insurance company.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:55:51 AM EDT
I think you could get a fireproof safe, and that'll take care of things, I'm sure you could make it air tight-water proof if it isn't already. My boss's wife sells insurance, and she told me they cover firearms value up to $2000 though, so if you want ALL your guns covered, you gotta pay extra. I'm assuming that this is a company by company issue though, your home owners may cover all your guns anyway. I've never known but one person who had gun insurance, he was an antique collector with a collection worth like 1 mill.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:51:31 PM EDT
Few NFA guys use these guys. [url]www.collectinsure.com/SpecPages/guns.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:19:18 PM EDT
I have always had my guns and guitars on a "schld list" for named replacement value. After adding my Colt 20" MT, they sent me a letter of cancelation within 90 days of adding my "Black Rifle". After almost 20 years with, and NO CLAIMS I changed companys. I'm now with USAA, and I have not even asked about insuring my guns.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:38:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GoldtopDude: I have always had my guns and guitars on a "schld list" for named replacement value. After adding my Colt 20" MT, they sent me a letter of cancelation within 90 days of adding my "Black Rifle". After almost 20 years with, and NO CLAIMS I changed companys. I'm now with USAA, and I have not even asked about insuring my guns.
View Quote
That's why I have a separate policy!! I've been told by my insurance company that they are very "dicey" about ownership of firearms. Another person who worked for the same insurance company told me otherwise, but I can't afford to find out the hard way (cancellation). Besides, homeowners insurance only covers up to $2K unless you pay extra (and the rate is outrageous). NRA (still expensive) or Collectibles Insurance Agency (much cheaper, but no coverage for CCW gun) is a much better alternative. [url]http://www.collectinsure.com[/url] has all the info you should need or send Email to info@insurecollectibles.com for any questions that you might have. Collectibles is intended for "safe queens" but allows for shooting them "a few times/yr". Truthfully, I have averaged no more than 3 trips to the range/year lately, so it is a non-issue. They don't cover guns that you CCW every day, BUT they do cover guns in transit (in the car) or shipped by common carrier (and lost/damaged in transit). NRA insurance covers all guns as I recall but is at least 2x as expensive as Collectibles. Also all Life Members of NRA get automatic insurance of some amount ($2K IIRC), so that could cover us for CCW gun if lost/stolen. So maybe a mix of NRA and Collectibles insurance for the different purposes might be best. A gun safe is a great investment as well and if you collection is big enough, it reduces the premium on the policies.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:27:36 AM EDT
Thank you LenS. I forgot about the NRA porgram.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:46:27 AM EDT
I checked my premium rates this year for my gun insurance [b]OMG!!![/b] [wow] I then cancelled the rider on my policy, took the refund check and bought a HUGE gun safe. The premiums will kill you! Get a gun safe with a good fire rating and keep your mouth shut!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:54:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pale_pony: I checked my premium rates this year for my gun insurance [b]OMG!!![/b] [wow] I then cancelled the rider on my policy, took the refund check and bought a HUGE gun safe. The premiums will kill you! Get a gun safe with a good fire rating and keep your mouth shut!
View Quote
I agree, however at this time I'm in an apartment, and just getting a gun safe up to my suite would let the "cat out of the bag".
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:43:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GoldtopDude: I agree, however at this time I'm in an apartment, and just getting a gun safe up to my suite would let the "cat out of the bag".
View Quote
Since you're in an apt, check out Zanotti Armor safes. Each side is a separate panel that gets assembled where it will be setup. Thus you walk up stairs with a bunch of relatively flat panels. Any nosy neighbors can be told that you bought a bunch of "wall hangings", [:)] They aren't fireproof (IIRC), but are burglarproof. I see them at all the gun shows in my area. Check them out at [url]http://www.zanottiarmorsafes.com/about.html[/url]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:04:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/25/2003 6:06:29 AM EDT by GoldtopDude]
Originally Posted By LenS:
Originally Posted By GoldtopDude: I agree, however at this time I'm in an apartment, and just getting a gun safe up to my suite would let the "cat out of the bag".
View Quote
Since you're in an apt, check out Zanotti Armor safes. Each side is a separate panel that gets assembled where it will be setup. Thus you walk up stairs with a bunch of relatively flat panels. Any nosy neighbors can be told that you bought a bunch of "wall hangings", [:)] They aren't fireproof (IIRC), but are burglarproof. I see them at all the gun shows in my area. Check them out at [url]http://www.zanottiarmorsafes.com/about.html[/url]
View Quote
Thanks man, I'm going to get a quote or two for insurance, and if it is too high, I'll go with the portable safe. If possible I'd like to go with both.
Top Top