Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2002 2:25:08 PM EDT
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/08/01/teen.abduction/index.html[/url]

LANCASTER, California (CNN) -- Two teenage girls were found alive and the man suspected of kidnapping them Thursday morning was shot and killed by police in Kern County hours after the abduction, officials said.

"The girls are safe and in the care of the Kern County Sheriff's Department," said Los Angeles Assistant Sheriff Larry Waldie. "The suspect is deceased. He has been killed at the scene."

The suspect, Roy Ratliff, had been wanted on rape charges, he said.

The sheriff said a Kern County animal control officer spotted Ratliff's vehicle and called the local sheriff's department, which dispatched officers who attempted to apprehend him.

Ratliff refused to stop and crashed the Bronco after a short pursuit, Waldie said. "He fled, leaving the two kids there. They secured the kids and went after the suspect and the shooting occurred."

The girls' parents would be flown to Kern County, northeast of Los Angeles, in a department plane, Waldie said.

"The first thing I'll say to her is that I love her very much. I'm glad she's safe," said Sammie Brooks, father of 16-year-old Tamara Brooks. "I couldn't be a happier man right now."

The father of Jacqueline Marris, 17, thanked the law enforcement agencies. "Thank God the kids are OK and they're coming home," said Herb Marris.

The girls had been in separate vehicles with male friends at a popular "lovers' lane" in Los Angeles County when they were kidnapped at gunpoint shortly before 2 a.m. Thursday, police said.

Authorities said the Bronco was the only vehicle in the parking lot when the suspect arrived in a stolen Saturn at the Quartz Hill water tower -- popular with teens because of its seclusion and sweeping views of the valley.

The Saturn was reported stolen in a car-jacking in Las Vegas, Nevada, but authorities said they did not have details.

The Bronco belonged to Brooks' friend, Joshua Brown, according to Los Angeles Sheriff's Deputy Brian Lendman.

Brown, who said he turned 18 Thursday, said that moments after he heard a car pull into the parking lot, the suspect was at his window with a semiautomatic handgun.

"He told me to give him all my money," he said. "I thought he was going to kill us."

The suspect left the girl in the truck, he said, warning her to keep her head down, tied Brown to a pole and blindfolded him. The man pointed a gun to the back of Brown's head, the young man told investigators.

"He told me he was going to kill me, but he didn't want to," he said. "He actually just wanted to tie me up. He wanted the truck. ... It sounded like he was trying to decide if he was going to kill me or not."

As the suspect was preparing to leave, Brown said, he heard another car pull into the parking lot, apparently Marris and her companion.

The companion, who identified himself as Frank, said the suspect first tried to tape the two teenagers together in the car.

But when that didn't work, he taped Frank to his car seat and steering wheel and left with both girls in the Bronco.

One of the young men worked himself free and ran down the hill to a pay phone, said Capt. Tom Pigott of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Pigott said that the suspect apparently doused the Saturn in gasoline or some other flammable liquid, apparently intending to set fire to it, "but for some reason elected not to do that."
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Still nothing on whether they were abused in the hands of this piece of worm shit.  I'm sorry they killed him so quickly, but I hope he suffers in hell and burns for all of eternity.  I hope the cops capped his ass for shits and giggles also after CAPTURING him.  Police brutality or justice?

Fucking animal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
See, even in Cali we get it done the right way now and then.

Big thanks to Kern Co. LEO's or whoever popped the BG and saved the taxpayers millions of dollars. Bullets - the twenty cent solution.

They had the description of the BG and his license plate number on all of the freeway signs across SoCal. Smart move that may have led to this ending so quickly.

Couldn't have ended much better. Lets just hope the girls are totally OK, given their ordeal.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard on the news that the girls were completely unharmed. If the POS hadn't been caught so soon, I doubt that would have lasted much longer. He WAS wanted for rape, afterall...
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:36:14 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/08/01/teen.abduction/index.html[/url]

Girls raped...
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:52:15 AM EDT
[#5]
We don't have to worry about him being rehabilitated," Sparks said of Ratliff. "We don't have to worry about the Supreme Court. He is deceased."
View Quote

Exactly correct!   [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/arms.gif[/img]

Enjoy your new home in Hell!

[img]http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2002/US/08/01/teen.abduction/vert.ratliff.ap.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#6]
All of these cases should end this way.  Children safe.  BG DEAD.

If I were a LEO, I would have a hard time making it back with a child molester alive.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:05:18 AM EDT
[#7]
This really should be the standard ending.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]
CNN is saying that the girls were not harmed???

THEY WERE RAPED BY THIS PIG!!!!!

Good and dead just the way it should be.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#9]
[b]"The sheriff said a Kern County animal control officer spotted Ratliff's vehicle and called the local sheriff's department, which dispatched officers who attempted to apprehend him."[/b]

How fitting!

Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#10]
The only good thing is that he's dead.  Nothing else is good about it.  I hope the boyfriends get beatings from their classmates for being pussies and cowards.  I hope they regret their decisions for the rest of their lives.  

A big discussion at work centered around this and we all said we would have died trying to protect the women.  Atleast you would succeed and know you're a hero or die and not ever have to regret what happens to the girl next.

To Ratliff:
Burn mutherfucker, burrrrrrn.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I am thinking of sending one box of ammo and a thank you letter to each of the officers involved in this; the ammo to replace the stuff that got wasted on this sack of crap and the thank you card for saving us taxpayers the cost of a trial and incarceration.  Whaddya think?
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#12]
The place where this idiot was shot is a little over an hour's drive west of my town.

I live in Kern County and if there is one thing I can say about the law enforcement around here, it is "don't F*** with the badge around here"

We get stupid gang members from the LA area that come up here and think they will have an easy go of knocking over a bank and then getting back onto the freeway for a quick return home.

WRONG!   WE SHOOT THEIR ASSES!

Every so often we have a chase that will start in the LA area and end up here in town, local guys get ahold of them and usually fill their car full of lead.

Doesn't matter if it's the sheriff, city PD, or the CHP.    Usually if they end up in the Kern county area they are just shit outta luck unless they do absolutely 100% what the officers tell them to do and make NO threatening movements.

This area is probably one of the more conservative areas in all of California, the county is actually pretty darned easy to get a CCW permit in and it's just a little more difficult to get one within city limits.    It's not completely hopeless though like if you goto just about any of the coastal regions or larger cities.

Heard it on the radio yesterday and before the first sentence was finished I commented, "I bet they ended up shooting that asshole dead."    I just love it when I'm right.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Uglygun, where in Kern County are you?  I grew up there and was there a few weeks ago.  Like you said, it's about the only county in CA where you have a chance of getting a CCW.  And you're right about the cops too.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#14]
two words, [B]BAKE TOWN[/B]

Anyone familiar with the valley and Kern County should know precisely what I'm talkin about.   If you're from the city, gimmie some intel like when you left and how old ya are.   I'm 25 and graduated from BHS back in 1995, been here my entire life and it's possible we know some of the same folks.

As for what I think the county should do, as you drive up to Lake Isabella there's a sign on the side of the road warning the IDIOTS from LA who want to swim in the Kern River, "Warning, since 1972(or close), 180 people have died in the Kern River"    Ofcourse these are idiots who don't know how to swim or swim in dangerous areas close to Class III type rapids.

But on the Grapevine comin into town on the 99 North, they need to put a similar sign that says, "Warning, since 1985, none of you bankrobbing SOB's have made it back to LA alive, 120 confirmed kills"
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/3/2002 12:51:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought you said that the cops killed BOG, FEEW! thank god they didnt.. (hey I like BOG umkay?)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top