Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/16/2004 8:24:19 PM EST
I thought it would be fun to list all of the h'omage moments you all have seen in this flick. I loved it, funny as hell and absolutely irreverent. People were falling out of their seats watching it.

Some references right off the top of my head:

[spoilers follow... don't say I didn't warn ya]

Opening Credits are a spoof of T2, I think... with everything blowing up.

Broadway Musical "Lease" as a lampoon of "Rent" (Everybody has Aids!)

The Star Wars Cantina Scene redone in egypt even to the same music.

The "sound" of the Jets that attack the Team America Guys in Durk Durkistan are the same gay sound effect of one of the pod racers (Sebulba's) in Star Wars Phantom Menace.

Luke Skywalker's "force" scene from ROTJ

The Matix (in multiple places)

Kill Bill

The knock off of Toby Keith's 9-11 style songs .

The numerous references to Bruckheimer style action flicks.

There's a scene which harkens the "shock waves" from nukes in the nuclear scare movie "the day after" from the 1980s

The same scene probably evokes the "Sum of All Fears" nuke blast as well.

Well, that's what I've got from one viewing. I'll be seeing it again. What did you guys catch.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:32:09 PM EST
come on! the best was the fucking Montage song. So true. You gotta fade it cuz it makes it look like more time has passed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:39:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By DocBrooks:
come on! the best was the fucking Montage song. So true. You gotta fade it cuz it makes it look like more time has passed.

Yup, that comes from South Park, Episode 603 - Asspen.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:03:13 PM EST
caught use of a Devo song in one of the scenes, can't remember which scene nor the song, I'm a Devotee so it resonated. Had to pee during the whole movie and afraid I'd miss something if I went and emptied the lizzard.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:04:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2004 9:28:57 PM EST by Dave_A]

Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:
I thought it would be fun to list all of the h'omage moments you all have seen in this flick. I loved it, funny as hell and absolutely irreverent. People were falling out of their seats watching it.

Some references right off the top of my head:

[spoilers follow... don't say I didn't warn ya]

Opening Credits are a spoof of T2, I think... with everything blowing up.

Broadway Musical "Lease" as a lampoon of "Rent" (Everybody has Aids!)

The Star Wars Cantina Scene redone in egypt even to the same music.

The "sound" of the Jets that attack the Team America Guys in Durk Durkistan are the same gay sound effect of one of the pod racers (Sebulba's) in Star Wars Phantom Menace.

Luke Skywalker's "force" scene from ROTJ

The Matix (in multiple places)

Kill Bill

The knock off of Toby Keith's 9-11 style songs .

The numerous references to Bruckheimer style action flicks.

There's a scene which harkens the "shock waves" from nukes in the nuclear scare movie "the day after" from the 1980s

The same scene probably evokes the "Sum of All Fears" nuke blast as well.

Well, that's what I've got from one viewing. I'll be seeing it again. What did you guys catch.

The one female puppet is a knock-off of Conselor Troi from Star Trek (the 'empath')

Predator (man-portable minigun)

Shark-tank scene ripped from 007: The Spy Who Loved Me.

Kim Jong Il is basically Blofeld (If you don't watch Bond films, Blofeld is the character that inspired 'Doctor Evil' in Austin Powers)... A very fitting allusion, as the real-life dictator is a 007 fanatic.

The entire 'terrorists + megalomaniacal dicatator trying to take over the world using nuclear weapons' plot is also rather familliar, wrt 007 films...

Oh, the enemy fighter planes were MiG-17s... The NATO codename for that type is 'FAGGOT', to go along with the 'F.ilm A.ctors G.uild'
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:28:23 PM EST
Keep 'em coming!

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:33:06 PM EST
What minute detail I found amusing was the streets of paris were paved in little cresent roll shaped bricks. Look closely when you watch it again and you will see them. That soundtrack kicks ass! America! Fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:41:52 PM EST
Austin Powers..........When the roach crawls out of Kim's mouth and flys off in the little rocket.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:45:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_A:
Oh, the enemy fighter planes were MiG-17s... The NATO codename for that type is 'FAGGOT', to go along with the 'F.ilm A.ctors G.uild'

Uh, MiG-15s are Faggots, MiG-17s are Frescoes.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:23:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zionist:
Austin Powers..........When the roach crawls out of Kim's mouth and flys off in the little rocket.

you mean Men in Black?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:28:54 PM EST
Kim Jong-Il can't resist telling Team America his entire plan when he has them in prison.

Kim Jong-Il's plan hinges around a countdown timer to set off the WMD's that Gary stops at the very last second.

Gary has personal demons he must put aside to save the day. A hotheaded team member hates Gary for reasons in his past, they overcome their shortcomings together to win the day. "Top Gun".

The side-to-side panning shots of Spotswoode during TA's missions give the impression something dynamic is happening when nothing really is. This is done ALL THE TIME in movies that have a shot of a radio broadcasting scene, when nothing is really going on except them sitting in a chair.

I was really disappointed that a fight didn't break out in the bar scene. It seems like if there's a bar scene in an action movie, a fight will inevitibly break out.
Top Top