Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2011 7:28:44 PM EDT

do away with the IRS

flat tax

fair tax

We have a bunch of candidates saying they support this.

but is it just wishful thinking on our part this would ever happen?

I can't see us ever disbanding the IRS.

The government loses too much power over us.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Not only lost power, but there is a whole economy of accountants out there that would be out of work if they made things easy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#2]
"They" literally bank on the fact that the tax code in confusing as all hell. Both Public and Private sector enjoy the fucked up system. God forbid if you're a productive citizen or own a small company, where it sucks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Not only lost power, but there is a whole economy of accountants out there that would be out of work if they made things easy.

It's all bullshit.

So why do we always fall for the hype when a new election rolls around?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
if we lcted someone who ran on it they might try it.  We would probably need a fucking super majority to get it done though. No way democrats are going to allow any sort of fair taxation if they can stop it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

if we lcted someone who ran on it they might try it. We would probably need a fucking super majority to get it done though. No way democrats are going to allow any sort of fair taxation if they can stop it.
The hell with the democrats.

I can't see the majority of the GOP  going for it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
all talk, no one has the balls to do it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
if we lcted someone who ran on it they might try it. We would probably need a fucking super majority to get it done though. No way democrats are going to allow any sort of fair taxation if they can stop it.
To hell with the politicians.

I can't see the U.S. government  going for it.

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the 999 has no hope of making it through Congress.  I do think it may be possible with the right COngress to make some steps in the direction of reasonable reform, but the 999 is highly ambitious.

Who knows, though.  Stranger things have happened.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I would be impressed if we could get a guy in office to reverse a few EOs on surplus ammo/guns. Completely reform the US tax code?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Government giving up power.

fuckin' great. I needed that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#11]
As much as I like the idea of the Fairtax, it'll never happen. Too many hands in the cookie jar.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
It's gonna take a whole hell of a lot more to get it done than just electing one president.

That tax code was bought and paid for and it was very expensive for those who got what they wanted.

That kinda change only comes one way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As much as I like the idea of the Fairtax, it'll never happen. Too many hands in the cookie jar.

Yup.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#14]
So why do we keep voting the same kind of politicians in the GOP .

Are we idiots then?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So why do we keep voting the same kind of politicians in the GOP .

Are we idiots then?

Yes we are,  lesser of two evils ring a bell.   The political parties count on it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They could re-tool into investment advisers.  There'd be an increase in demand for those.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
So far by the responses . It seems we are all idiots.
Should we stay this course and continue to be idiots?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There are not enough of us to get the people necessary in place.  Face it, libertarian minded people are a small minority.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

The hell with the democrats.

I can't see the majority of the GOP  going for it.

I can if we have enough momentum and the people want it.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are not enough of us to get the people necessary in place.  Face it, libertarian minded people are a small minority.

Even a lot of conservatives don't like libertarians. And liberals lump libertarians in with conservatives. Red headed step-children, the whole lot of us.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I think at this point it would take a dictator with an Iron Fist to make it happen.
Edit: Vote Drago 2012.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are not enough of us to get the people necessary in place. Face it, libertarian minded people are a small minority.

Even a lot of conservatives don't like libertarians. And liberals lump libertarians in with conservatives. Red headed step-children, the whole lot of us.

yea
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#23]
It's way past time we starve the leviathan that is our federal government...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#24]
You've got millions of accountants and IRS employees(large voting block) against it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

all talk, no one has the balls ability to do it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yep!

IDFC any more.  Actually the real idiots are the uninformed sheeple, but all of us informed thinkers are helpless to change things.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"They" literally bank on the fact that the tax code in confusing as all hell. Both Public and Private sector enjoy the fucked up system. God forbid if you're a productive citizen or own a small company, where it sucks.

<––-productive citizen and small business owner saying 'amen' as he starts working on this quarter's payroll taxes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the 999 has no hope of making it through Congress.  I do think it may be possible with the right COngress to make some steps in the direction of reasonable reform, but the 999 is highly ambitious.

We used to think that commie forced health care couldn't happen either.

I'm in for the try to implement the 999 plan.

So am I.  I just won't be surprised when it fails.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#30]
a 9% sales tax on top of a 9% income tax.?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We used to think that commie forced health care couldn't happen either.

I'm in for the try to implement the 999 plan.

Apples and rocking chairs

Obamacare transfers more money and power to .gov. Power hungry politicians are all too happy to oblige.

Tax code revision does the opposite. Government NEVER relinquishes power willingly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Why in the blue fuck would we do away with the irs, unless I missed something who would enforce collection of the tax when deadbeats can't pay it. Honor system or something?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep!

IDFC any more.  Actually the real idiots are the uninformed sheeple, but all of us informed thinkers are helpless to change things.

Yeah, I heard that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Regardless of the tax system, people will still cheat. Need some sort of enforcement.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#35]
OUr government is run by millionaires, who are financed and owned by multimillionaires.

while they may tinker at the edges, most are looking to pull the drawbridge up to preserve their dominant wealth for generations to come.

a "flat" tax is anathema to the uberwealthy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You've got millions of accountants and IRS employees(large voting block) against it.

I think you overestimate that number.  

plus the accountants are still needed and many of the government employees.  Even with a fair tax it takes manpower to collect it and do the math.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top