Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 12:32:09 PM EDT
Man Sues South Carolina Police in Taser Case

Associated Press

GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) -- A lawsuit filed by a Greenville man accuses police of using excessive force when he says they stunned him with a Taser seven times while arresting him.

Louis M. Powell filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Greenville against the city, the police department and Chief Willie Johnson. He's seeking $750,000 in damages.

The defendants have denied that officers used excessive force.

The suit alleges that officers acted maliciously when they repeatedly used the stun gun on Powell, leaving seven permanent scars on his back and neck.

The defendants said officers used a Taser because Powell resisted officers' attempts to arrest him on charges of public drunkenness, malicious damage and resisting arrest.

Their response to the lawsuit doesn't say how many times the Taser was used, but it says that Powell refused medical attention.

City attorney Ron McKinney said it is the only lawsuit filed against the city involving the use of Tasers. According to police department records, officers have discharged the Taser in at least 87 situations this year.

An Anderson man died last week after Anderson County Detention Center officers stunned him with a Taser as he charged at them, officials said.

The Anderson County Coroner's Office said the Taser, in addition to the man's medical condition, contributed to his death. The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating.

Damn! I'm not very good at math, but that's over $100,000.00 a zap! Where do I sign up?

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Oh, I thought this was gonna be about "Electro".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top