Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2005 3:31:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 6:45:55 PM EDT by Greywolf2112]
Wife and I still, after 23 years, like to game. More often than not I'm the GM and she's the player. She is a writer, and I wish she would have the time to truly devote to writing stories as I think they could actually get published. Of course, it helps when I'm "on" my game, since I often provide some interesting plot lines.

Just wondered if anyone here who is into gaming and/or Fantasy books would be interested in my posting her writings (basically, a first-person account of her character's adventures) here.

And yes, before you post, I am a geek, a nerd, etc. - but at least I get some quite often and don't live in mom's basement.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:33:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 3:33:39 AM EDT by FieroLoki]
I miss playing D&D, Shadowrun, Rifts and all those..

Bring it on.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:38:46 AM EDT
I myself? SERIOUSLY not interested.

You guys should just make a blog. It's free, go to blogspot.com and relate your gaming experiences and literature to anyone interested.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:42:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:

Bring it on.

Shadowrun
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:45:36 AM EDT
I had to retire my first character ever, my friends will NOT even let me even think about playing him. .. He is the bad ass that can kill you by just looking at you. So he retired, lives on an island and has several corporations

Originally Posted By sonofbp:

Bring it on.

Shadowrun

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:48:11 AM EDT
I really liked BattleTech! Something about huge robots destroying a city just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:03:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sonofbp:

Bring it on.

Shadowrun

still play every know and then with my friends mostly one shot campignes thu,
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:05:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By senorFrog:
I really liked BattleTech! Something about huge robots destroying a city just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

That was a lot of fun - we added the roleplaying element by using Mechwarrior rules, and as always had some amazing games. Our unit was the "Bone Bustin' Irregulars" - every member of the group had, at one time, gotten some bone broken before joining. The only one who hadn't promptly got their nose broken in a bar fight the first day he joined up.

The thing the wife and I enjoy the most is the role-playing and story. Combat is fun, but not the reason we play. It is amazing to write a general outline of a plot and storyline, and then to allow the player character to help "write" the story while playing. Sometimes the player will do something totally unexpected, and the GM has to modify or change things in the story or plot to accommodate it. That's when things get really interesting.

Luckily for me, the wife gives me some incredible characters, history, and personality to work with. And her characters change as a result of the storyline.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:35:29 AM EDT
Feel free to send it my way. That is how the Dragon Lance series started. So why not. Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman decided to write about one of their adventures, thus spawning one of the greatest series of all time. Till it became only a name, and anyone could write one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:47:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 5:48:35 PM EDT by Greywolf2112]
Well, OK - I'll give it a go. The following is the history and personality of my wife's character, Trissa Blaine, who is a Paladin. I was the Game Master and creator of all that transpired to her. Hope you all enjoy - I'll dole these out as I can.

Character History - Trissa Blaine

Trissa was born in the slums of Granport. To her knowledge, she was an only child. Her father, Trevin, was a simple dockworker. Unfortunately, he was rarely sober, so he didn’t make a good living. Trissa’s mother, Birril, did all sorts of work; mending, washing, even housecleaning. But she also seemed to have a lot of male relatives, uncles and cousins, who visited her at odd hours when Trevin was out working or drinking. Birril also spent many days just sitting, staring at nothing happily, until the high wore off. Then she was anxious and high strung, and worked feverishly (at all of her careers) until she had enough money to buy her happiness in a vial. With an alcoholic father and druggie mother, Trissa had little in the way of supervision or care.

At a very young age (about 5) she was spending more time in the streets with the other slum kids than she was at home. She picked up a lot of bad habits, especially shoplifting from food vendors. She rarely got a decent meal at home, and the only way she often ate was by stealing. As the street kids got older, they more or less became a gang. They weren’t really bad kids, and didn’t get into the violent gang scene. They just hung out together, and occasionally lifted some food or cut a purse or played pranks. They did have to fight other kids and gangs who just wouldn’t leave them alone. Trissa learned to fight, with her hands, a knife and anything that could make a handy weapon (brawling). She also learned to be inconspicuous and try to hide from trouble or sneak out of its way. One knife slash from a roving street gang and a permanent scar made her realize that it wasn’t smart to dive into every situation fists first. So she got sneakier, and was kind of good at it.

One of the local thieves’ organizations noticed Trissa and a couple of her gang friends when she was 11. They used some of their teenage members to “recruit” Trissa into a new career - pickpocketing. At first, she was just used to distract potential marks. But eventually, she learned the skill herself, and for the first time had money of her own (after the guild’s cut). She had little reason to be home then, and besides, her mom and dad were both almost incapacitated by their respective habits. Trevin had also realized what his wife was doing for drug money, but since she was willing to share her take, he didn’t leave her. But he also quit sleeping with her, and spent more and more time away from home. Birril became even more dependent on drugs, and increasingly agitated when not high. Home was depressing, but Trissa looked in on her mom pretty regularly. She tried to get her mom to quit the drugs, but it was far too late. When she realized that all her monetary support was doing was providing more highs and booze binges, she quit giving them money, and eventually didn’t go home much.

When she was 13, Trissa more or less lost both of her parents. She went home on a rare visit, and found the place deserted and picked over, though there hadn’t been much of value there to begin with. When she tried to find out what had happened, she was told that her mother had been found unconscious in an alleyway near the tenement house, a place well known for drug sales. She was taken to a local charity sanitarium, where she died. Trissa went to the sanitarium, which was supported by members of the temple of Cirga and administered by priests/priestesses of various sects of the Church of Light. She was told that her mother had died, and been cremated as was normal for the poor. The priest told her that her mother’s body had been worn out by the drugs she took, and simply quit working. The people at the sanitarium were very kind to Trissa, and when they discovered her father had also disappeared they tried to find out what had happened to him. They took Trissa in for a few days, and she let them dote over her. They didn’t realize that she was a thief, but she never stole from them. They discovered that her father had signed on to work on a ship supposedly headed on a long trade mission, all the way to Byzantium, which meant he would be gone for a least a year, maybe longer. They offered her a place in their orphanage, but she turned them down after thanking them for their kindness. She went out that afternoon and robbed a rich merchant, and that evening left a hefty sum of gold at the sanitarium. She always remembered the kindness of the priests, and occasionally left “presents” at various places dedicated to especially to Cirga and the other gods of Light. She was vaguely guilty after that about her profession, but street life was tough and her conscience wasn’t as demanding as her stomach.

She became fairly proficient at the thieves’ craft, and finally was initiated to a higher level in the organization. She became involved in a series of burglaries, always as the entry person. She was small and lithe, and fit into windows and apertures that the older kids and adults couldn’t. Also, she was low on the ladder, and if she got caught was more expendable than others. One burglary of a merchant’s mansion, though, went seriously wrong. The two men in charge of the break in got greedy, and set off a magical alarm. The merchant’s household guards came after the group of burglars, and got into a nasty fight. Trissa was scared, but she couldn’t bring herself to attack the guards. She knew they were just defending the house, doing their job, and she thought that the best thing she and the others could do was to just run for it. But then it happened; the fight pushed into a child’s room, and one of the lead thieves grabbed a little girl out of her bed and threatened to kill her if they weren’t allowed to escape. By then, the merchant and his wife were at the scene, and they tearfully ordered the guards to put down their weapons and let the thieves go. The group got out and took off with the child. The two leaders didn’t know what to do with the girl, and knew she might be able to identify them. They ordered Trissa to “dump the kid off a dock, and make sure she don’t come up.” Trissa was horrified. She said no, but after a couple of cuffs against the side of her head and death threats, she agreed and took the girl toward the docks. But there was no way she was going to get involved in murder. She was already part of a burglary and kidnapping, and sure as hell wasn’t going to kill an innocent child. She decided to take the kid to the orphan house, and leave her there where the priests would be sure to get her home. Just as she got to the orphanage, a patrol looking for the thieves and the child came down the street. They rushed Trissa, who gave up and tried to explain what she was doing. One of the priests, Ruwan, a knight priest of Cirga guarding the orphanage in the evenings and coming to answer Trissa’s knocking, opened the door and heard all of her pleas. He got very upset at the guards’ less than chivalrous behavior. He demanded that the guards, who were in the process of roughing her up, be merciful, that he was certain that her story held some truth, and that there had been a knock at the door that woke him before the guards arrived. He went with Trissa and the guards to make sure that she wasn’t hurt any more. He spoke to her some more, and she admitted her crimes and told everything that had happened. Ruwan believed this, and determined that he would do his best to help her.

He stayed with her until she was put in jail, and spoke to the magistrate on her behalf. He also went with the guard captain who took the child home. The parents were overjoyed, and thanked the captain. He couldn’t take credit, though, not with a knight priest of Cirga listening to his every word. He admitted that it looked as if a young girl involved in the burglary had saved the girl and intended to leave her in the care of the orphanage priests, which was why Sir Ruwan was with him. The merchant said there was a young girl in the group, and that she was the only one who hadn’t attacked his guards, and seemed to be trying to just get away. The captain did say that they couldn’t be sure until a proper trial was held, though, and to not automatically assume the girl hadn’t tried to harm their daughter. But by then, he didn’t sound too convincing.

Ruwan later went and visited the merchant to check on the child. But he spent a lot of time talking about the qualities of justice, charity and mercy, and how all the Gods of Light favored people who practiced such kindness of heart and deed. The merchant and his family were obviously good and merciful people whom the gods loved, for had they not looked favorably upon his child and his household? He never mentioned Trissa, but her trial was scheduled for the next day.

At the trial, the merchant and his guards all testified that Trissa had been in the house with the thieves, but that she had not raised a weapon against anyone. He also begged the judge to be merciful “on this poor, misguided child who saved my daughter.” The city guards who arrested Trissa also admitted that it appeared that she had indeed been knocking on the orphanage door when they arrived, and that the child was unharmed and did not appear to be very frightened until they came up. Then the little girl was questioned gently, and when asked what happened, she said, “The lady in the dirty clothes took me, but she was nice. Her friends hit her and said awful things, but she didn’t hurt me. She was scared too, and cried a lot. We went to the church place, and she said she was gonna leave me with some real nice people there, who would take me home to Mommy and Daddy after they gave me candy and stuff. But then those (sniff, sniff) mean old’ sobers came, and I never got my candy. They beat the nice lady up (whimper), and I never got my candy.” That got the guard captain a very harsh look from the magistrate and the judge. Rowan also testified favorably on Trissa’s behalf, and then told of her being an orphan, etc., knowledge he had learned from fellow priests who remembered the girl and suspected she was their secretive “patron”. When Trissa got on the stand, she admitted her crimes without hesitation. When the judge asked her if she was aware that the penalty for kidnapping was death, she looked at him, pale and teary eyed, and said, “But, sir, I did it, and it’d be kind of stupid for me to lie, what with all of these people here who saw me. And anyway, I don’t want to lie any more.”

All of the positive testimony on Trissa’s half saved her from the ordinary fate of most thieves and kidnappers (death). The judge was convinced that she could be rehabilitated, but that she had still, at her own admission, committed crimes that deserved punishment. He sentenced her to five years of seclusion and hard labor, but with a twist. It would not be in prison, but rather at a temple of Margin and Cirga outside the city, where she would work, live and do penance under the supervision of the priests. Trissa almost fainted with relief, knowing that once again the priests of Light, and Cirga in particular, had helped her out. It was then that she realized that only the priests had shown her true kindness and compassion, and her journey toward dedication to the creed of Cirga began.

She spent several years toiling in the kitchens, stables and gardens of the Temple. She was confined to a locked room every night, with a rough pallet and very little else. But for the first time in her life, she had food, clean clothes, and guidance. Part of the daily routine was schooling, in basic reading and writing but of course also in religious doctrine. The more she learned about Margan and Cirga, the more she felt that she wanted to be a part of the whole religion. She felt that if it had not been for the teachings in particular of Cirga and his example and the kindness of his followers, she would not be alive now, or maybe worse, she might even be a murderer. She became an avid worshiper, much to the surprise and satisfaction of her mentors. Her confinement became a wonderful gift, one she felt she had not quite deserved. Before the five years passed, her “jailers” realized that the girl no longer saw her (in their eyes) harsh punishment as such. They conveyed their observations and feelings on the matter to their superiors, who in turn told the news to the authorities. The case judge came out and spoke to Trissa and watched her, and agreed with the clergy’s assessment. He decreed that her sentence was revoked, and that the girl should be allowed to pursue a place within the temple, if that was acceptable and her wish. The priests said it was, and told Trissa of her opportunity. She gladly accepted the brown robe of acolyte, and moved out of her prison and into the main temple.

She was a dedicated student and acolyte, and rose rapidly in esteem among the priesthood, though she believed that she would never be a knight priest (and which most of the priests thought, too). She still did a lot of menial work, though, which occasionally took her to the stables. She had learned a lot about the behavior of the horses, and what not to do around them when mucking out stables. She was doing just that sort of work when she witnessed a girl a few years older than herself and wearing fine clothes get kicked by a horse. The girl started to raise her voice at the animal, but Trissa ran to the stall and got between her and the horse. She convinced the girl to be quiet, and she was able to calm the animal and get him settled in his stall. The noble girl haughtily (and not very sincerely) thanked Trissa for her assistance. Then she asked her what she did, and why she was cleaning (distasteful curl of lip) stables. Trissa said she was an acolyte of Cirga. The noble girl looked very thoughtful, and ordered Trissa to come with her. She took Trissa into the Knight’s Hall, a place Trissa never thought she would enter, and brought her before her commander. Young lady Emeria requested that Trissa become her page, as she was definitely in need of someone to “help” her with her duties and assist her in weapons practice. The commander asked why Trissa, and Emeria somewhat shamefully admitted that the girl seemed to handle horses quite well. The commander smiled slightly, and asked Emeria if she’d been kicked by Thunder again. Red-faced, she admitted it. He then frowned and asked Trissa how she handled the situation. Trissa hesitantly told him, and he nodded gruffly and dismissed her, but not Emeria.

The next day, Trissa was sent to the Knight’s Hall, and Commander Kerson informed her that she would now be a page in the service of Cirga and assigned to Lady Emeria of the Sapphire Order. Trissa was issued a uniform and a service dagger, sword and bow. She had no idea how to handle the sword or the bow, but she was already familiar with knives. There was something of a ceremony (though very brief and curtly spoken by the supply master) in receiving the weapons, and Trissa swore she felt tingly as she took the blades and bow. She sent a quick prayer of thanks to Cirga, and was swept into the martial service of his Order.

She was a quick learner and a good worker. Emeria treated her like a servant, but she had to grudgingly admit that the orphan girl was very good with Thunder and picked up sword work quickly enough to be a decent sparring partner. Trissa was especially enamored, though, of the bow, as to her it embodied the spirit of Cirga. She spent her free time practicing with it, since very little time was dedicated to its use in training. Commander Kerson and other leaders watched her closely, and noted her hard work and her almost fierce dedication to Cirga.

The time came swiftly for Emeria to take up her knightly spurs and leave on her solitary quest. Trissa watched the spurring ceremony in dejection, sure that now she would be sent back to the “ordinary” work of the temple of Margan. But then, after Emeria’s spurring, Trissa was called forward by Kerson. To her shock and delight, she was declared a knight-in-training, no longer a page yet not a full knight. She was moved into new quarters, with more equipment and more responsibility. But with the move, she discovered that she still had not moved up in status in the eyes of most of the knights. They still looked at her as a scruffy orphan girl, even though they gave her the deference demanded by the Order. She also didn’t find many friends among the commoner knights, who mostly tried to emulate their “betters”. She found she couldn’t pretend to be something she wasn’t, and even though she had become well educated, she refused to “take on airs”. As far as Trissa was concerned, she was there to serve Cirga, not make friends and influence people. She was a loner, but it benefited her in giving her time to devote to learning more. She learned what the knights of Cirga were dedicated to, and about the enemies she would face if she became a true knight. The thought of defending against the onslaughts of the Dark, fighting the minions of evil, kindled a fire in her spirit that shone in her eyes. Finally, this was a chance to atone for all of her years of ignorance and crime, a chance to give back to Cirga and the Church of Light everything and more than they had given her. She spent much time studying the different orders, and when the time came for her knighting, she chose to dedicate to the Order of the Topaz. Topaz was a small order of mostly commoner knights, sworn to uphold Cigar’s creed to the truest degree, to live a life free of holdings and possessions beyond those necessary for life and a small degree of comfort (any landed nobles joining this Order would have to give up their hereditary titles and all that would come with it; hence, very few nobles in this group, but there are a few that have their reasons) and deep dedication to the protection of the free people of the country and the world. Trissa spent a few months preparing for her quest, and seemed almost indecently in haste (to the noble knights) to depart.

During her quest, she faced many fights and hardships, but the fire of dedication in her spirit never wavered. Instead, it grew. One day as she traveled in an outlying province in Ocenia, she discovered something terrible; a temple dedicated to the hated god of Darkness, Panath. She still used her thieving knowledge occasionally, though with much contrition and prayer afterward. Doing so, she snuck up to the place and looked around. There were followers of Panath there, and they were getting ready to sacrifice someone to their evil God! Even though she knew in her heart that she was severely outnumbered, she could not ignore the plight of this innocent or let the followers of the evil one go on with their worship. With a cry to Cirga, and the surety that she would meet her deity soon, she burst into the temple. She drew forth her plain old sword, and received the shock of her life. The sword burst into bright flame, and a feeling of power and goodness coursed through her body. Cirga was with her! She hewed through the evil crowd, taking many wounds in the process. Sorely hurt, she continued until all twenty of the followers of Panath were slain, and the young man on the altar set free. The teen looked at her in wonder, until she passed out at his feet.

She awoke in a temple of Margan to see a very bewildered priestess looking at her. When the woman realized she was conscious, she asked Trissa to please release the fire spell on the sword. Trissa said she didn’t know how to do that. Trissa told her what had happened, and how the sword had flamed on its own. The priestess turned a bit pale, then bowed and left the room. Trissa drifted off to sleep, wondering what was going on. When she slept, she dreamed that she was standing in a beautiful forest glen, and a man in simple clothing and armor was there, too. He smiled kindly, though he had a terrible sort of sadness about him. He put out his hand, and asked Trissa to approach him. She went to him, and he took her sword hand in his. She felt a tremendous power, and realized suddenly that this was Cirga. She tried to kneel, but he would not allow it. He told her that she was to be one of his Chosen, that she had shown courage and faith of a sort that was rare. He said that he would be with her, and to never doubt that. He had given her a gift, the sword, but there would be other gifts to benefit those in need and herself for the dedication she had shown. He promised her that with continued diligence, there would be continued blessing. He told her she should not feel guilty for her past, but should commit herself to a better future, and continue down the path she was on. With that, he released her hand, and she awoke. There were several clergy and a paladin of Cirga standing around her bed. She locked eyes with him, and he nodded to her. She saw in his eyes that he, too, had seen Cirga of the Bow. He turned to the priests and said that she was a Paladin, chosen of Cirga as he was. The deference accorded her by the people in the temple changed dramatically. She also sensed changes in herself, and a power she had not felt before but that she instinctively knew how to use. During her recovery, she met and trained with a woman warrior who was dedicated to Margan. They got along very well, and had some fun going out drinking and partying a little. Trissa still liked doing some of the things from “the old days”, but she had rarely had the opportunity or the desire. She hadn’t had any friends in the temple or the Knight’s Hall, and she was really enjoying the companionship. But something happened between them that changed everything. One night, they were play fighting after a few drinks, and somehow ended up entangled on the bed. The woman started making moves on Trissa, who at first didn’t figure out what was happening. It felt good, but then she got scared and kind of angry. She got up and left, feeling very confused. Her few previous experiences with sex, while living with the gang, had been with boys. It had been fun, but now she felt that somehow sex, with anyone, would be a distraction and sully her love and devotion to Cirga. The encounter, however, had awakened her sexuality. The next day, Trissa’s friend apologized for trying to seduce her. Trissa politely accepted the apology, but had nothing more to do with the woman.

As soon as she was healed enough, she left the temple and continued on her quest. Her dedication to Cirga became ever greater, as did her abilities. By the time she returned to her home temple, it was obvious to everyone there what she had become. She spent some time with the scribes documenting her journey and her ascendance to Paladinhood, but the desire to go out into the world and combat the forces of evil was very strong. During her recounting of the story, one of the scribes asked for her paternal name again. He left the room, and did not return. The next day, though, he took her aside. He said he had made the most interesting discovery, that one of her ancestors had also been a paladin of Cirga, over a hundred years past. She was startled to discover that her lowborn family had that kind of past, but it did give her a sense that her course was preordained in some way. She tithed most of her spoils from various battles back to the Order of the Topaz. Topaz was brimming with pride; they finally, after many dry years, had a paladin of their own. They gifted her with new armor and other things befitting her new station, though she tried to refuse, asking that they dedicate the money to helping the poor and building up the Order. She left after a brief stay, going back into the world of questing and adventure in the name of Cirga.

Personality

Trissa is extremely dedicated to trying to uphold the Code of Honor of Cirga. She still likes some of the less acceptable behavior, like drinking, gambling and carousing a little. Being on her own and free of the constraints of the Temple she has gotten somewhat more outgoing, but she is still pretty much a loner. She suffers a lot of guilt over her past, which comes out in intense, almost zealous faith in Cirga and dedication to his cause.

She is not very impressed with nobles, and does (whether she realizes it or not) tend to look down her nose at noble knights. She doesn’t believe that they are as dedicated to Cirga as they should be. Of course, she doesn’t believe she is dedicated enough to Cirga, either.

All in all, she still is very uncertain about herself and her value as a person, and the weight of her lonely life has worn her down emotionally. She is confused, though, about her relationships with other people. Since her recent sexual encounter, she tends to look at women and men differently, even with a little worry that there is something wrong with her, that her faith should be stronger and keep her from diverting her attention from Cirga’s cause. Her response to the woman, though, bothers her. The lessons regarding chivalry were all about cherishing women. Women are on a pedestal in her mind, and are seen as nonsexual, creatures to be revered and cared for. But fighting women confuse her, as she almost sees them (including herself) as masculine in nature, and therefore outside the chivalric ideal. She has never sought the feminine in herself, nor has she explored her sexuality. Deep down, she wants to be womanly, and she wants to be attractive. The more she is around other people, the more difficult it is for her to remain aloof and untouched by the yearnings for intimacy, both emotional and physical.

Trissa is a kindhearted person, regardless of the tough veneer. She hates to see anyone or anything, especially children and animals, hurt or used by others. She treats her horse like a companion, not a slave animal, and even talks to her as if she is a person. A lot of things touch her heart, though she is kind of afraid to show gentle emotions. She has a deep fear of commitment to anything mortal that might die or leave her. That is why she is so devoted to Cirga; he is eternal and unchanging, and he said he would be with her. But she also longs for companionship and a less lonely existence at times.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:49:45 PM EDT
Wow, your hands must be cramped after typing all that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:49:46 PM EDT
Addendum 1 - Trissa Blaine

For the scribes of the Order of the Topaz:

Forgive my haste in writing this account of my ventures over the past several months. I fear that you may find them outlandish, perhaps even impossible to believe. But I swear by Cirga that all I say herein is the truth.

As you well know, I left the Temple on a quest for my warhorse. This took me to a distant land, and thus I spent weeks on ship. When I arrived in the country that I had been led to by my visions, I was directed to a strange and cursed part of the realm, where winter had held the land in frozen desolation for many decades. I found an old fortress and attempted to gain entry, as this was the place I sought in my quest. There was a terrible explosion as I opened the doors, and blackness overwhelmed me.

When I woke, I had no recollection of who or what I was, nor did I know where I was. The only thing that seemed clear in my mind was a dream, and a poem I had heard in the dream:

Winterglade the cold’s desire
No warmth of sun nor heat of fire
In tunnel dark or chamber deep
Break frozen heart, end winter sleep.

The dream was vivid, and I knew I had dreamed it three times. Every time, I was in a wintery place, surrounded by leafless trees that seemed to grope at me as if reaching for help. Behind me I heard hoofbeats, growing ever louder until they were right behind me. I spun - nothing. No tracks, no sign of a horse or anyone else, and I would awake. But the third time of the dream, when I turned, there was an amulet glittering in the snow, and as I reached for it, I woke up.

I remembered those verses, and the dream, and realized from my garb that I must be a warrior. I was surprised and frightened when I drew my sword and found that it flamed, but did not burn me. Though I could not remember my name or my reason for being in the fortress, it seemed my skills were not forgotten, thank Cirga. I did not, however, recall all of the gifts of power granted me, and much I would have given for remembrance of turning the undead. As I wandered through the dark and deadly place, I fought many horrid undead creatures that seemed nearly immune to the blade I carried.

All I could think of at first was to find a way out of the fortress. But as I continued, I discovered things that awoke more of my memory. I found a laboratory haunted by undead, and once I had dispatched the zombie satyrs, I discovered clues to my whereabouts. There was a book of evil necromancy in which the process for a wizard to transform into a lich was given. Disgust rose in me, and I knew I must destroy the foul book and the other implements of evil in the room. I set fire to the room, and left it to burn. But the finding of the book reminded me that I had consulted a sage, and been told the legend of this place, Winterglade, where a wizard once dwelled in peace with the forest and its inhabitants. At some point, though, he had turned against them and cursed the forest to be forever in winter, thus the name. The sage said I was destined to travel to Winterglade to find my warhorse, a powerful steed. But why? That I still did not know.

Deeper into the place I went, and encountered the dread master of the fortress, the wizard zombie Solaris. We fought, and luckily I defeated him before his enchantments overwhelmed me. More and more I felt sure that it was my duty to destroy this and other foul beings inhabiting this place. And too, if there was a way to break the curse on the land, I must find it.
I searched, and fought my way through undead minions, finally discovering a treasure room. There, I found an amulet that drew my attention. Shaped like a horse and with the emblem of Cirga, I knew that it was for me, and I took it. I also found a strange, clear crystal. It looked and felt like a piece of ice, burning my hand with cold when I touched it. A verse from the poem rang in my mind, Break frozen heart, end winter’s sleep. I took that also, with but one intention; to break it and hope the curse would end with its destruction. I finally made my way outside, and with a prayer to Cirga (for by then my memories had become clearer), I shattered the crystal with my sword. As it broke, a swirl of energies spiraled out from it, and the snow, which seemed to fall continually, stopped. I do not know if the winter spell was completely broken, for I was weak and tired and left the place before I could discern if a thaw had begun. But on my return journey to the port town, it did not snow again and seemed to grow warmer with each passing day. It is my hope that a contingent of knights will be sent to Winterglade to cleanse the fortress and sweep the countryside of any lingering undead, and to assure that the curse is indeed broken.

Later that night, I examined the amulet. On the back I found an inscription, Windsong. I felt compelled to speak this word aloud, and as I did, the amulet glowed, and started to expand. I cast it to the ground, and to my amazement a beautiful black mare, strong and large, formed from the amulet. She spoke to me, in my mind. Cirga indeed has gifted me, with a companion and a friend. Windsong is my true steed, and shall be for as long as Cirga deems it fit. I have as yet to take her into battle. Part of me yearns for that, and yet part dreads it, for fear she will come to harm. Though only a few days have passed, and she stays in amulet form for the most part, a deep bond has formed between us. As Cirga is with me always, so now is Windsong.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:50:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 50cal:
Wow, your hands must be cramped after typing all that.

Cut and Paste is your friend
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:22:51 PM EDT
I like that part with the lich. Sounds like a well thought out adventure.

Anything with dragons? Or how about kobolds? I fuckin hate kobolds. Nothing can grind a 5th level fighter down like a bunch of damned kobolds.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:37:23 PM EDT
Damn... Just Damn!! Wow! Well done!!!!!!!! MORE!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:46:38 PM EDT
I used to do D&D, AD&D and Shadowrun, hell I even have varoius incarnations of manuals unused or nearly so (had to repalce them just before I lost interest in the gaming)

I kind of miss it, but prefer shooting
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:49:13 PM EDT
Some of you scare me...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:49:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalPenguin:
I used to do D&D, AD&D and Shadowrun, hell I even have varoius incarnations of manuals unused or nearly so (had to repalce them just before I lost interest in the gaming)

I kind of miss it, but prefer shooting

I miss it all.
Me and my friends used to sleep in, go shooting in the afternoon, game in the evening then go chase tail at night then come back home and game till the wee hours.
Either that, or just go kill shit in the afternoon then game all night.

That was the life.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:53:33 PM EDT
I got about half way through and lost interest after realising it wasn't about some hot lusty big breasted swanky wench......sorry.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:54:35 PM EDT
Theives > Paladins
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:56:01 PM EDT
OK I wrote a couple paragraphs but deleted them, figured this would be the best way to get my feelings across:

OMFG !!!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:57:44 PM EDT
D&D Online is a coming!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:03:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By azcopwannabee:
Damn... Just Damn!! Wow! Well done!!!!!!!! MORE!

Thanks. My wife and I, when we game, really like to come up with some amazing story lines, well-developed characters, etc. Just wait - things get a WHOLE lot more interesting. My wife complains, with a twinkle in her eye, that my goal with this game is to turn her character insane. So far, so good.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:04:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTwin60:
I got about half way through and lost interest after realising it wasn't about some hot lusty big breasted swanky wench......sorry.

That's another one of my wife's characters. Seriously. I'll have to post that one later. Imagine a race of females who are, uhm, let's say, uhm . . . . VERY sexually active. Part of their genetic code. And guess who gets to act it out later?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:07:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deimos:
Some of you scare me...

+ 1 BILLION
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:36:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:

Originally Posted By deimos:
Some of you scare me...

+ 1 BILLION

And hundreds of survivalist, gun nuts who can't wait for the SHTF and TEOTWAWKI don't?

It's just a game. (and a very fun one I might add)

Some people like to build evil black rifles in thier spare time. Some people like to sit around a table with friends and play a game. Others surf the net for pr0n.

I happen to like them all!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:45:14 AM EDT
Lightning bolt, lightning bolt.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:11:58 AM EDT
D&D Geek mode on- Okay, a couple of things that bugged me.
1. A flaming sword would do more damage to undead. All undead are especially damaged by fire as I recall.
2. She should not be able to tell what the spell books are for. Not only should she not be able to read them because they are spell books, but she should take great damage for even trying, let alone touching them, just because they are evil and she is not a magic user, but a fighting cleric if you will.
3. Although it is possible, it is unlikely she should be able to touch the frozen crystal as well. Same deal, evil magic. She should have just smashed it there.
4. once she remembered who she was, why not use some of her divine ablitites.
D&D geek mode off.
Story writing geek mode on-
1 Shouldn't the master of the fortress be a lich not a zombie?
2 how does she know it is the master of the fortress.
3 why go deeper if she is on the way out.
4 Why take time to search the treasure room.(mybe d&d) Palindins don't steal or need money.
story writing geek mode off.
Otherwise very interesting. Will be great when you expand the story.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:16:06 AM EDT

Bring it on.

Wow! Blast from the past. I don't know about the new Shadowrun stuff, but the older Shadowrun was pretty cool. Never played Rifts, but sure looked interesting.

As for D&D, I miss the first and second generation stuff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:17:33 AM EDT
For me, the big one besides D&D was Gamma World. The first and second editions were terrific. Sadly, they never finished the final game module for the second edition.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:27:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 6:32:02 PM EDT by Greywolf2112]
I'll try to answer your points, but keep in mind something here:

My wife and I play using rules I created more than a decade ago. A combination of my own rules, D&D, Palladium Fantasy, GURPS, MERP, and Talislanta. So regular D&D rules do not apply here. My worlds and the way they operate are unique. So you can't pigeonhole or play rules-lawyer here.

Also, we place a big emphasis on the ROLE playing, not the ROLL or RULE playing.

Originally Posted By Andrewh:
D&D Geek mode on- Okay, a couple of things that bugged me.
1. A flaming sword would do more damage to undead. All undead are especially damaged by fire as I recall. True, normally. These were "special" undead that had been bespelled by the undead wizard to be resistant to fire.

2. She should not be able to tell what the spell books are for. Not only should she not be able to read them because they are spell books, but she should take great damage for even trying, let alone touching them, just because they are evil and she is not a magic user, but a fighting cleric if you will.
Why not? She recognizes evil runes and writings, and surmises what it is for. True, she can't cast the spells, but keep in mind that I'm not following D&D rules here.

3. Although it is possible, it is unlikely she should be able to touch the frozen crystal as well. Same deal, evil magic. She should have just smashed it there. See above

4. once she remembered who she was, why not use some of her divine ablitites. Not in her character's make up yet. She is pretty low level.

D&D geek mode off.
Story writing geek mode on-
1 Shouldn't the master of the fortress be a lich not a zombie? Why? Who says he has to be a certain type of monster or foe? This is low-level. The wizard is beginning the process of becoming a lich.
2 how does she know it is the master of the fortress. He told her, during the battle.
3 why go deeper if she is on the way out. Curiosity.
4 Why take time to search the treasure room.(mybe d&d) Palindins don't steal or need money. She takes treasure so she can distribute it to the poor and needy. Why leave it for others to make ill use of it?
story writing geek mode off.
Otherwise very interesting. Will be great when you expand the story.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:30:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 6:30:45 PM EDT by Specop_007]
Considering the fact this is a gun board, I'm suprised no one has stated the best RPG....

RECON!!

Although its not so much a RPG as it is a meatgrinder.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:35:38 PM EDT
You got a cliff notes version of all that,
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:35:51 PM EDT
Addendum 2 - Trissa Blaine

After a week of travel overland from Winterglade, I reached the port. I found passage on an Ocenian ship, The Dawn Wind, a fine looking vessel with a hard-working, competent crew. I was amazed to find what I first thought was a young girl in the crew. Later I learned the girl was a twenty-year-old woman. It still is hard to imagine such a lovely young lady doing this demanding work, and doing it well. All of the lessons of chivalry must have stuck with me, for it distresses me to watch the girl, Lyr, climb recklessly in the rigging. It is difficult for me, being around so many people in close quarters. I am accustomed to long, solitary days in the wilds. And it does not help my discomfort that many of the crewmembers (and one of the passengers) are attractive. Cirga gives me strength, though, to ignore the desires of the body. I have sworn purity of my flesh in dedication to Him. I shall cleanse my mind of these errant thoughts and channel them into a daily routine of ship work and martial practice.

The first night out, myself and the other passengers are invited to dine with Captain Marcusi. Lyr comes to ask me to attend, and she seems very interested in me and in what I do. As the days pass, I find that she is fascinated with my combative skills. She seems to be consumed with a need to learn about the world around her and with learning more of self-defense. I find this quite admirable in so young a person, but it is a bit discomfiting. She is pretty and so petite, I feel that she shouldn’t have to fight for herself. It is obvious that her crewmates adore her, and one man in particular, the druid Melar, seems to be her lover. But regardless of the fact that most of these men would probably defend her, she is intent on being able to take care of herself in any situation. As for the dinner, I am introduced to the other two passengers on board. One is a very mysterious sort, Jhorel, garbed in dark robes and reluctant to show his face. I catch only a glimpse of dark hair and angular features, perhaps an elf. He has little to say, and will not talk much about his travels. The other is a very handsome Ocenian man, Darius. His clothes and bearing hint at nobility, wealth, or both. He is a bit roundabout in his description of his profession, but I assume he is a merchant or a broker of some sort. He attempts to engage Jhorel in conversation, but without much success. He speaks to me, and obviously is the sort who enjoys social encounters. I am a bit uncomfortable and unaccustomed to such open and friendly behavior. He asks about my travels and adventures, but I cannot in humility brag of my exploits. Both he and the captain seem surprised; other knights and paladins they have encountered can’t seem to wait to talk about what they’ve done. Cirga, forgive me, but at times I feel shamed by the behavior of some of my brethren. I do notice, though, when I bow my head to give thanks for the meal, that Darius also seems to pray, but he did mention he was a follower of the Church of Light. The food is wonderful, and I have to fight my instincts to keep from attacking the food like a starving beast. Darius notices my discomfort, and good-naturedly teases me. Normally, I would not prefer the company of this sort of person, but oddly I find myself warming to him. Jhorel, on the other hand, spooks me a bit.

Our quiet journey is soon disrupted by the onset of a terrible storm. I witness something more troubling than the weather, though. The strange Jhorel seems quite enthused about the wild weather, even delighting in its rage. I quickly go back to my cabin, and stay there. The rocking of the ship lessens, and I find we have taken refuge from the storm in a sheltered cove. When the weather clears, Captain Marcusi says this is a good place to forage for water and provisions. I offer to go with one of the groups, and to my surprise so do Darius and Jhorel. We set off into the wilderness, and after the allotted time return to the ship. But the other group, including Lyr, has not come back. We wait for a while, but the Captain and the rest of the crew get very worried. The group I am with is sent to look for them.

After a while, we come across an ominous scene; there has been a violent struggle, and some of the weapons and belongings that are recognized as belonging to other crewmen are here. We follow a trail of deep tracks and blood spatters further into the woods. We finally stumble into the deserted-seeming ruins of a small town. There we find a crewman, bloody and apparently clawed, but not badly wounded, at least physically. He is in shock, and babbling. He says "it came from above, so fast, and the claws!" over and over. We ask about the other men, and it takes awhile to get an answer. He says the others were all slain, but that Lyr was taken by a monster! The other sailors want to take their shipmate back to the Dawn Wind, so I am left with Jhorel and Darius. I tell them that I am going after the girl, and they agree to go with me.

We set out into the town, following a trail of blood drops that leads toward a central building, perhaps a castle. It is eerie and still, and there is a feeling of dread in this place. It is hard to be calm, and I sense I am being watched, maybe even followed, and cannot help but continually look over my shoulder. More than once I think I see something black and horrid skittering upon the rooftops, but there is nothing there. There are signs of a hasty retreat by the people who once lived here, but it seems that all happened long ago. We search several of the buildings cautiously, and once are surprised by what seemed to be undead skeletons. Praise to Cirga they were not! As we go further into the town, we hear a sound; is it a woman crying? We turn a corner, and there is a young woman, not Lyr, standing there weeping, with a look of terror on her face. I go to her swiftly, and she looks up at me. She lifts her hand toward me, and I reach out to help her. Then a beam of sunlight breaks through the clouds and shines on her; no, it shines through her! But it is too late. Her hand touches mine, there is a sensation of cold and sorrow and. . .and then I am standing outside of the town, feeling very queasy. I look up, and the ghost is there in front of me. She is smiling through her tears now, and I hear, as if from a great distance, "Thank you" as she fades into nothingness. From what my companions told me, for I recall nothing, I was possessed by the ghost. The woman had been trying to flee, and reach her family, but was killed before she could get out of town where they were waiting. The only way her spirit could rest was for it to be taken, in a living body, to the place she so desired to go when alive. What a sad and terrible fate! I am glad that for just a little illness I was able to help her shade depart to a better realm. But the time spent may cost us Lyr’s life! I notice then that my companions are winded, and Darius is wounded. They tell me about the horrible creature they encountered. I am ashamed that I was unable to help them. The men agree that we must go back and try to find Lyr, and quickly.

We race back into the town, heading directly for the castle. It is worn down with time, and there are deep scratches in the parapets and walls, though the gates are wide open. The blood trail leads through the gates, and we carefully make our way inside. We find a room where there are three books; one of magic spells, which is locked magically and cannot be opened, one which describes rituals of summoning and a journal which tells about the creature we face. Still, the knowledge is not much help when it comes to fighting the thing. We search some more, and find a treasure room. We do take quite a bit of the coin we find. There were several sailors killed, and I am certain their families will need help financially.

We search more, and suddenly encounter the creature. Darius surprises me when he draws a rapier from his belt, and it sparks with energy. A magic weapon! The more I see, the less I believe that he is just a simple merchant. We end up in a running battle with the thing, and finally kill it. Hopefully, and from what we read, it is the only one. We find Lyr, chained in a room, and we free her. The poor child sobs and I have to hold her and console her. She does not seem like a grown woman now, only a lost, hurt little girl.

We take her back to the ship, and the crew is very relieved. They are all saddened by the loss of their crewmates, though. We swiftly sail away from the place. I am later surprised by Darius, who has given most of his share of the treasure to the fund for the sailor’s families. I did not expect that of him. Cirga, forgive me my presumptions of people. Fine clothes do not mean a person lacks generosity and compassion for others. Even for all of his lightheartedness and jovial behavior, there seems to be more to Darius than I thought. Of Jhorel, I know only that he is a mage, and that he fought bravely and well. Still, he behaves strangely and is very moody. I cannot judge, though, for I am not the most outgoing person myself. It has been odd, being around so many people, and especially having companions in battle. It felt awkward at first, but I must admit that it is nice to have others backing you up when there is trouble.

All praise to Cirga for bringing us safely through this encounter, and may his blessings be with the families of those men whose lives were lost this day.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:37:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Specop_007:
Theives > Paladins

HAHAHAHAH

A cavalier owns all!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:40:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:43:55 PM EDT
A few notes:

Lyr is one of my wife's favorite characters (a very lusty sort, of a race of women who have . . . uhm . . . very strong sexual appetites. Always fun when we play in THAT game )

The creature was like a cross between an Alien and a Predator. My wife and my best friend (who played Jhorel) were absolutely fucking scared shitless after this game. I kept having the creature do hit-and-run attacks and ambushes, and it could climb walls and ceilings vertically, phase in and out, etc. Loads of fun for me to build the action and horror to a crescendo. They couldn't believe that one creature could give them such a tough time.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:51:49 PM EDT
I've got a stack of the old hard cover D&D books in my closet.

The advent of computer gaming kind of killed the old
RPGs.

There still out there ,it's just hard to find people who like to
use their minds instead of a keyboard.

Some of my other old favs have already been mentioned.

Gamma World was cool.

Twilight 2000 rocked ,

Battletech was and still is the coolest to me.
I still play it from time to time.

I've been told my homemade hexed 3-D battlemaps are some
of the best on the Eastern Seaboard.

Just don't show up at my place in weird costumes talking funny
wihout a LOT of prior warning.
Remember,this sight is about firearms .
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:54:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

Theives > Paladins

HAHAHAHAH

A cavalier owns all!

Boo to UA. That damned book skewed things way into the PC's favor. Its fun and cool, but makes characters extremely powerful!
And dont get me srtarted on drows.

But to play along..

Barbarians > Cavaliers

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:16:20 PM EDT
I just got done playing d+d right now. My new girlfriend loves it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:48:01 PM EDT
Waiting for next update
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:49:47 PM EDT
I have a huge Battletech Miniature Collection probably on the scale of 300+ Mechs not including vehicles and Aerotech. I don't play much anymore, just build and paint.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:52:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:

Theives > Paladins

HAHAHAHAH

A cavalier owns all!

Boo to UA. That damned book skewed things way into the PC's favor. Its fun and cool, but makes characters extremely powerful!
And dont get me srtarted on drows.

But to play along..

Barbarians > Cavaliers

Im going buy the Cavalier that was relesed in the Dragon Magizine in ....... 81 ish.. Oh crap has it been that long...

Hay any of you remember the Dragon Mag? Damn fine covers...

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:58:09 PM EDT
Either one of those Cavaliers was a power house.
The UA version was ridiculously powerful. Fun, but powerful.

I myself preferred wizards or assassins. Perferably a combination of both.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:05:28 PM EDT

Either one of those Cavaliers was a power house.
The UA version was ridiculously powerful. Fun, but powerful.

I myself preferred wizards or assassins. Perferably a combination of both.

You ever see the rules for the ninja's I think it was in the same issue.. I still have it still some where.. OMG they were fun to play.

OMG does this mean im a geek!

My all time favorite was Aftermath..

It was very SHTF ish..

Holly crap you can still get it!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:09:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 8:11:23 PM EDT by CeramicGod]
I can't even think of a comment on how lame this is beyond just stating how lame this is.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:09:30 PM EDT
LERRROOOOYYY JENKINS!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:32:57 PM EDT
Quality of the writing is great! You could easily expand on the first post about her early life and character development and turn it into a Sci-fi novel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:59:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Scott574:
Quality of the writing is great! You could easily expand on the first post about her early life and character development and turn it into a Sci-fi novel.

Thanks, Scott. My wife graduated Magne Cum Laude with a Bachelor's in English, specializing in Literature. It shows. She's also an editor, so writing this stuff is sort of like a hobby for her.

This is the way we prefer to play - lots of drama, good stories, acting, etc. Beats you normal "beer and pretzels, hack and slash" style any day.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:59:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CeramicGod:
I can't even think of a comment on how lame this is beyond just stating how lame this is.

Then perhaps you should go elsewhere and keep your comments to yourself? You know, that whole "If you can't say something nice, etc. etc." thing your mom taught you?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:15:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By billparadise:
Lightning bolt, lightning bolt.

I pray that we aren't the only two that have seen this hilarious video.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top