Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 1:12:55 PM EDT
What a crappy way to go.  Be sure to secure your kid's swords guys.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187062,00.html

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

BRANDON, Fla. — A teenager who kept a 29-inch sword displayed on his bedroom wall has died after the weapon fell and slashed his shoulder and neck, authorities said.

Joshua Hershberger, 15, was in his bedroom with two younger siblings Monday night when a ball they were bouncing knocked the sword off the wall, the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office said.

The high school sophomore was pronounced dead at a hospital in Brandon, a suburb of Tampa. Police said no charges were expected.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Ban them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats why they created sheaths, they are the safteys of the sword world
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Sword Goes Off, Kills Fla. Teen.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:16:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Stooooopid.

Now we know why mom and dad say: "No playing ball in the house."

Wonder if that was a rule in that house?

If not, should have been.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
he just had an unsheathed, apparently sharp, sword hanging on the wall? How did it fall on him like that? Was he laying down under it?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sword Goes Off, Kills Fla. Teen.

+1!

More gun control laws will solve this problem.

(Any excuse to pass new gun laws is a good one, right?.....)

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
do you think this ever happened in the William Wallace days?

it hit him in the shoulder? not to be insensitive but i bet it looked exactly like the scene where Achilles slices into that big guy in the beginning of that movie..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Bummer
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
he just had an unsheathed, apparently sharp, sword hanging on the wall? How did it fall on him like that? Was he laying down under it?

Natural selection at its best.  Sorry any dumbass with an unsheathed blade placed where it can fall on them is not someone who needs to be allowed to breed.  What kind of sword?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

'
That's the trouble with pre-bans.

OK, I'll say it: " Floriduh strikes again."
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Was their surname Damocles?

Seriously, it's stuff like this that gives civilian weapons ownership a bad name.
I do feel sorry for the kid and his family though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Ban walls, for the children
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Natural selection at its best.  Sorry any dumbass with an unsheathed blade placed where it can fall on them is not someone who needs to be allowed to breed.  What kind of sword?

kinda harsh don't you think
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ban walls gravity, for the children

da! iz fixed..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Must have been a real sword. I cant see those cheap ass stainless steel swords hitting someone in the shoulder and killing them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spot on assessment I would think,
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Was he laying down under it?

Live by the sword, die by the sword.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Its all fun and games til somone gets an........................................
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#20]
old marching song..

when i was in the army..
the biscuits were mighty fine..
one rolled off the table...
and crushed a friend of mine..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

15 year old makes poor decision on sword display, accident happens, and his resulting death is good for mankind
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

15 year old makes poor decision on sword display, accident happens, and his resulting death is good for mankind

I really don't believe in most safety precautions the moronic should be allowed to off themselves unencumbered its natures way.  Google Natural Selection this is a case of it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Its all fun and games til somone gets an........................................

then it's just a game!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ban walls gravity, for the children

da! iz fixed..

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Wow, some of you are pretty sad. I guess none of you did anything dumb when you were 15. It was a very unfortunate accident and there is a family grieving over this. I guess no one sped when they first got there license, or used to jump off the bridge or out of trees when swimming when you were younger. I know its only by Gods good graces or sheer luck for the unbelievers that I made it into adulthood.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#28]
This is all George Bush's fault
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really don't believe in most safety precautions the moronic should be allowed to off themselves unencumbered its natures way.  Google Natural Selection this is a case of it.

His survival and the possibility of him fathering children would have benefited mankind through the creation of a more sword resistent human.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#30]
My sword is sheathed and not hung on the wall. Of course, it'd also have a hard time cutting butter...

You know, it'd really suck to be killed by a sword in this day and age.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#31]
That sword couldn't have fallen all by itself.

It was PUSHED!

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:03:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ban Close the loophole in walls the law of gravity, for the children

da! iz fixed..

Amended.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#33]
wonder what the libs in the .gov think.

so when do we start having pre-ban & post-ban swords?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:06:25 AM EDT
[#34]
[threestooges]

"Why young man, you act as if the Sword of Damocles were hanging over your head."

"Lady- you must be psychic!"[/threestooges]

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:10:33 AM EDT
[#35]
It was the invisible ninja.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:12:15 AM EDT
[#36]
parents should be flogged.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#38]
This really did happen here, guys.  Not bullshit.

However, I am wondering if maybe, just MAYBE, it wasn't an accident.  Maybe the kids were roughhousing/playing with the sword.  Still, it is possible that with the right weight, angle, and sharpness this happened.

Kid was really into goth shit, too, from a pic I saw on the news.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:18:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Ban Walls, Balls and Gravity.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:19:01 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Don't forget stupidity....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:22:28 AM EDT
[#41]
I try to keep all my knives, kitchen, utility, whatever, either closed, in a drawer, or somewhere they cant fall.

I've nearly speared my foot knocking a steak knife off the counter and I worry my cat will knock one down on herself someday.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:25:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Geez, guys, a little cynical don't you think? A kid is dead here. It's not like they were playing WITH the sword. Very sorry to hear the story. Yes, some clearer thinking could have prevented it but kids do stuff. Not overtly stupid stuff in this case.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:25:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

You can take my gravity when you peel yourself off the surface of the earth!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

However, I am wondering if maybe, just MAYBE, it wasn't an accident.  Maybe the kids were roughhousing/playing with the sword.  

That's the first thing that popped into my mind.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#45]
He should have had the sword sheathed, but he's 15 for Gods sake. I know I did alot of stupid stuff when I was younger. Imagine some freak accident at your home killing one of your kids, weapon related or not. I hope it happens to some of you on here and I'll be the first one to say..natural selection blah blah blah. I bet your attitude changes then
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:40:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Man, can you imagine that? To die from that kind of wound he must have been spewing blood all over the place.  I'll bet his siblings are totally traumatized.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:53:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

However, I am wondering if maybe, just MAYBE, it wasn't an accident.  Maybe the kids were roughhousing/playing with the sword.  

That's the first thing that popped into my mind.

Hence the reason to raise the
That's what I think happened...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Geez, guys, a little cynical don't you think? A kid is dead here. It's not like they were playing WITH the sword. Very sorry to hear the story. Yes, some clearer thinking could have prevented it but kids do stuff. Not overtly stupid stuff in this case.

Leaving a sword sharp enough to injure somebody fatally out in the presence of unsupervised (or poorly supervised) children is tantamount to leaving a loaded firearm in their presence. What do you think the reaction of the the media, the police and people here would have been in that case? Do swords get a pass in the criminal negligence department?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top