Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 2:10:04 AM EDT

The Swiss National Bank (SNB) stunned markets on Thursday, when it scrapped its three-year-old peg of 1.20 Swiss francs per euro.

In a chaotic few minutes after the central bank's announcement, the Swiss franc soared by around 30 percent in value against the euro.

The franc broke past parity against the euro to trade at 0.805 per euro, before trimming those gains to trade 13 percent higher at 1.040.

The currency also gained 25 percent against the U.S. dollar, before falling back to trade around 12 percent higher at 0.901 francs per dollar.
View Quote

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102340182

Hedge fund manager Marko Dimitrijevic is closing his largest hedge fund, Everest Capital's Global Fund, having lost almost all its money after the Swiss National Bank (SNB) scrapped its three-year-old cap on the Swiss franc against the euro, Bloomberg news reported on Saturday.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-large-everest-capital-hedge-fund-closing-after-swiss-franc-losses-bloomberg-2015-1
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:39:30 AM EDT
[#1]
How many billions did Soros make?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:51:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow. You could have made some sweet sweet cash if you got the inside tip on that.

I'm sure a select few rich assholes laughed their asses off all the way to the bank on this.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:14:21 AM EDT
[#3]
You have just described the opening shots of WW3
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:42:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Invest your life savings with some guy with a Russian surname running a no-name Hedgefund.  What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Was reading about  this the day of.  Several rather large companies went bankrupt and/or, suffered severe losses around the world.  Almost immediately, the swiss franc went from 1.20 euro per (pegged rate) to .85 euro per.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#6]
In the long run, severing ties to the Euro will benefit the Swiss.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Reads like they see something coming and would rather take the pain now, rather than later.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. You could have made some sweet sweet cash if you got the inside tip on that.

I'm sure a select few rich assholes laughed their asses off all the way to the bank on this.

No doubt in my mind .
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

15% increase in one shot...
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
The Dollar is Soaring. What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
OST
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#13]

I get a splittin fracking migraine just half-browsing those TEOTWAWKI websites . . . they're a dime a dozen these past few years .

As soon as I see side bars of ads for water purification straws or MRE's , my stomach just turns. Their credibility (admittedly unjustifiably, I know) just swirls down the drain .....as quickly as fat loss drugs and penis enlargement gimmicks get pushed to spam folders automatically .

I'd rather read The Economist or something like that, any more

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#14]
One of my classmates in grad school is a dual British/Swiss citizen and she exchanged her francs for dollars at the height of this surge. She didn't exchange much but scored herself a bunch of extra dollars.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The Dollar is Soaring. What could possibly go wrong?
View Quote

And gas is cheap .....WE'RE SAVED!!! Hail obamma !!

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It looks to me like they kept is secret well. When there are leaks there are usually big moves
24-48 hours ahead. When the good US GDP numbers came out a few weeks ago there
was a big upward move in the stock market about 24 hours ahead of the public release.

It looks like everyone got caught flat-footed on this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top