Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 1:21:32 PM EDT
Switched my major yesterday to criminal justice. Im a freshman, so I didnt waste time/money on unneeded courses as im still working on gen. eds. Im really excited and really looking forward to this. I was a business major before, but with me always wanting a military career, and involved in PLC I figured this was a good choice. Im also really excited, because my advisor told me I have only one semester of gen eds to take! Which couldnt have worked out better, because with PLC this summer I didnt plan on taking summer classes, so by next spring i'll be working on just my major classes. Classes which i'll be looking forward to taking!

Damn i feel so much better, things are finally looking up!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Sadly here Criminal Justice Admin is through the business school, which is a bitch and a half to get into, plus costs an extra $800/ semester to attend. I just switched from pre-business to History.
ETA: Also goodluck wading through all the crappy GenEds to get to the upper division coursework.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Switched my major yesterday to criminal justice. Im a freshman, so I didnt waste time/money on unneeded courses as im still working on gen. eds. Im really excited and really looking forward to this. I was a business major before, but with me always wanting a military career, and involved in PLC I figured this was a good choice. Im also really excited, because my advisor told me I have only one semester of gen eds to take! Which couldnt have worked out better, because with PLC this summer I didnt plan on taking summer classes, so by next spring i'll be working on just my major classes. Classes which i'll be looking forward to taking!

I see an BATF career in your future....

TRAITOR!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see an BATF career in your future....

TRAITOR!!!

I have been looking into ATF internships. Also with the SS, FBI, and CIA. My school offers arabic and I plan on taking it, so that'll hopefully help me with that, and in the Marine Corps.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
For undergraduate studies it really isnt the type of degree, its the little peice of paper that says you made it through 4 years of school. Unless your something like a engineering/chemestry degree ect. A BA is the GED of 40 years ago unfortunately.

Peronally this frustrates the crap out of me. I hate sitting in class thinking when am I going to use this crap. What is my dream job? A firefighter/paramedic. What am I concentrating in currently? Econ and Political Science. Do I need that to be a firefighter/paramedic? Ofcourse not, but it will help me get hired and promoted, and if my parents are willing to pay for my school why not. Plus if I get injured on the job or decide I want to do something else later in life, I have a great education to back me up.

ETA My dad gave me great advice, study what your interested in, nomatter how usefull/unusefull you see that as being in the future. My school unfortunately doesnt offer anything in public safety or fire science, but I have intrest in politics and I love arguing with liberals, ie poli sci major.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For undergraduate studies it really isnt the type of degree, its the little peice of paper that says you made it through 4 years of school. Unless your something like a engineering/chemestry degree ect. A BA is the GED of 40 years ago unfortunately.

Peronally this frustrates the crap out of me. I hate sitting in class thinking when am I going to use this crap. What is my dream job? A firefighter/paramedic. What am I concentrating in currently? Econ and Political Science. Do I need that to be a firefighter/paramedic? Ofcourse not, but it will help me get hired and promoted, and if my parents are willing to pay for my school why not. Plus if I get injured on the job or decide I want to do something else later in life, I have a great education to back me up.

ETA My dad gave me great advice, study what your interested in, nomatter how usefull/unusefull you see that as being in the future. My school unfortunately doesnt offer anything in public safety or fire science, but I have intrest in politics and I love arguing with liberals, ie poli sci major.

EXACTLY, I hate going through school knowing that it doesnt really matter what I study, so long as I do somethign and get decent grades.
ETA re your ETA: this is why I just switched to histroy, all the BS pre-req classes the business school required were pissing me off.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What are you wanting to do with this CJ degree?

Personally, I'm switching from CJ to History.  I am getting my Associate's in CJ (at the end of this spring semester and then 1 class that ends in June i'll be done! woooooooo) and then I'm going to go for a major in History-Education with minor in CJ.

FWIW really.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally, I'm switching from CJ to History.  I am getting my Associate's in CJ (at the end of this spring semester and then 1 class that ends in June i'll be done! woooooooo) and then I'm going to go for a major in History-Education with minor in CJ.

FWIW really.  YMMV.

Plan on Federal Law enforcement, after the military. Also throwing around law school, my uncle is a public defender here in FL so he said I could come as an intern during a summer.

Right now, im just deciding if I want an air or ground contract with the Marines. Passed the flight physical but im not sure if its what I want to do. Got a couple years to figure it out though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW really.  YMMV.

Plan on Federal Law enforcement, after the military. Also throwing around law school, my uncle is a public defender here in FL so he said I could come as an intern during a summer.

Right now, im just deciding if I want an air or ground contract with the Marines. Passed the flight physical but im not sure if its what I want to do. Got a couple years to figure it out though.

No Fed. LE before .mil?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#9]
What exactly do you expect to do with a degree in criminal justice? I would advise you to consider another field.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What exactly do you expect to do with a degree in criminal justice? I would advise you to consider another field.

Found the Hall of Justice, with his Super-Friends, and capture evil doers?

What kind of question is that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Well eventually, i'd like a job with the ATF and work toward eliminating civilian ownership of any and all firearms.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Agreed.  I graduated in 1998 with my bachelor's in Criminal Justice and the degree is utterly worthless to me.  I've looked at federal law enforcement jobs and they all would rather that you had a degree in computer science, business or accounting.  From what I've been told, their reasoning is that they'll teach you the CJ stuff at the federal academy but they won't teach you accounting or computers there.

As for local law enforcement...  most just want you to have a high school diploma or GED.  Some departments out there want you to have at least 60 credit hours of college but they're not picky as to what your degree is.

I think the only jobs I've seen that want the CJ degree are parole-officer type of positions.

If anyone knows of any jobs/careers that DO want their applicants to have the CJ degree then I'd love ot hear it myself so I know where to look.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#13]
A Criminal Justice major is a guy who will advise his coworkers at McDonalds how to handle their legal troubles.

I am a PoliSci major, so I will tell them how to vote. Then we'll just need a Spanish major so we can talk to ALL the employees.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well eventually, i'd like a job with the ATF and work toward eliminating civilian ownership of any and all firearms.

As a desk jockey for your first 2-4years, on the lowest level of the food chain.....

I would say, .

Unless you made Director after working there for 34 years, you have NO chance of helping the public get weapons back.

And yes, I know it was sarcasm.  And i know what you mean.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Criminal Justice?

Shouldn't that be called Criminal Punishment/Victim Justice?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Sounds like a good route to take. You could end up as a Bear in the Air, or working for Customs chasing down drug planes.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I planned all along to go into the military as an officer, so thats pretty much the reason why im even in college and not already in the military. Business didnt really do much for me, and neither did anything else.

I figure if I learn arabic and have a cj degree with a Marine background i'd have a good shot at a job with a .gov agency.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I planned all along to go into the military as an officer, so thats pretty much the reason why im even in college and not already in the military. Business didnt really do much for me, and neither did anything else.

I figure if I learn arabic and have a cj degree with a Marine background i'd have a good shot at a job with a .gov agency.

Figure again.

You think the ATF cares if you know Arabic?  They dont care if you have a CJ degree.  They probably will like that you have a .mil background.

I still say skip out .mil.

If you wanna learn Arabic/Farsi, go Army SF.  That will impress them and also probably allow you to possibly get on DSS/Secret Service one day.  You could also get on CID and get on PSD detail.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Figure again.

You think the ATF cares if you know Arabic?  They dont care if you have a CJ degree.  They probably will like that you have a .mil background.

If you wanna learn Arabic/Farsi, go Army SF.  That will impress them and also probably allow you to possibly get on DSS/Secret Service one day.  You could also get on CID and get on PSD detail.

I thought about that. I'm still young so we will see.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Figure again.

I thought about that. I'm still young so we will see.

I would think alot more about it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Any alphabet .gov LE agency doesn't really want a CJ degree.  IMHO a CJ degree isn't worth the paper it's written on. . . . .

You want to stand out as an FBI applicant, get a philosophy degree or some other degree that show's you "think outside the box"
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#22]
+1

Trust me. A criminal justice degree is worthless. With a business degree your options are wide open. Or learn a critical language that the Gov. needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top