Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2018 11:04:30 PM EDT
Sold my 5DMKIV and bought a A7III; i'll update this thread as I move along the path away from canon. Main reasons for the swap were the improved dynamic range, improved focusing, in body image stabilization, improved ISO sensitivity, and ability to shoot supersampled 4d video without a crop factor with the in body stabilization. If/when canon gets into the mirrorless market in the next year they will at best match sony performance, but probably will be behind a bit. Given their tendency to withhold features according to price tier it'll either cost 3500, or be the same 2000 as the A7III, but have a crippled feature set to not cannibalize the 5D line sales.

For now; i bought a 50mm prime with the native sony mount, and a sigma MC-11 converter i'll use for stills with my existing canon L glass. Over time i'll probably switch over to the sony lens line up. Some of my canon glass doesn't have a realistic sony alternative like my 16-35 L or the 100mm L macro. The general purpose primes are already either there with the sigma art series or the sony/zeiss primes.

Body should be here in about 10-12 days, I'm stationed in Korea so it'll take a while to get here. Adorama has the A7III in stock right now so I jumped....
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:28:20 AM EDT
Congrats on the new gear. I’ve thought about jumping ship from canon to Sony but I’m just to invested in canon along with a few other factors to do it. The a7iii is a great camera and you will be very happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:28:50 PM EDT
I had the opportunity to play with a Canon 1D Mk4 with a 500 F4 at the airshow yesterday. Holy crap! What a beast!

Heavy, And holy shit expensive, But very good performance.

I handed the gentleman that let me play with it My Sony A7II with Sony 70-200 combo and my A7III Tamron 150-600 combos to use. He was very impressed and very surprised with them. It made me smile. He really liked the tracking and the IS system.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 2:56:22 PM EDT
Sony is giving Canon & Nikon a real run for their money. I thought about Sony mirrorless because the body is way more compact, but the lenses are the same size and still way too expensive for me. I have a Sony RX10-3 that I bought at $100 discount when Sony was closing them after they introduced the RX10-4, works really well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:04:41 AM EDT
Well, I've had a few days with it and a sigma mc-11 adapter for my L glass.

In short, i made a good decision. I'll be selling my other 5D body in the next week and leaving canon for good. Even with adapted glass the performance is good enough to not miss it. The image sensor walks all over the 5DIV's. Iso 12800 is genuinely useable, and combined with the in body stabilization means I can shoot almost in the dark with a fast prime. Probably 3 full stops of improved range all things considered.

The auto focus for stills is better than the canon, especially with native glass. Eye track feature is really useful, not gimmicky.

The menu system isn't as intuitive, but after a few days it's not bad at all. Plua you can take your most used settings and tack them to a favorites page that makes the whole issue a moot point.

The final nail in the coffin is the downsampled 6k to 4k uncropped video. Combined with the in body image stabilization its fantastic for what i use video for. The video autofocus isn't quite as good as canons tap to follow system used in live view, but I it's definitely useable.

Next step is to get some more native sony glass. I'll be selling my canon 24-70L to make the jump.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:13:23 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jccobb2:
Well, I've had a few days with it and a sigma mc-11 adapter for my L glass.

In short, i made a good decision. I'll be selling my other 5D body in the next week and leaving canon for good. Even with adapted glass the performance is good enough to not miss it. The image sensor walks all over the 5DIV's. Iso 12800 is genuinely useable, and combined with the in body stabilization means I can shoot almost in the dark with a fast prime. Probably 3 full stops of improved range all things considered.

The auto focus for stills is better than the canon, especially with native glass. Eye track feature is really useful, not gimmicky.

The menu system isn't as intuitive, but after a few days it's not bad at all. Plua you can take your most used settings and tack them to a favorites page that makes the whole issue a moot point.

The final nail in the coffin is the downsampled 6k to 4k uncropped video. Combined with the in body image stabilization its fantastic for what i use video for. The video autofocus isn't quite as good as canons tap to follow system used in live view, but I it's definitely useable.

Next step is to get some more native sony glass. I'll be selling my canon 24-70L to make the jump.
View Quote
Nice!

I have contemplated an adapter and some canon glass because you can get some good canon glass relatively cheap compared.

I have great luck with my laea3 adapter and my tamron 150-600 lens. Took a little time to figure out the settings that worked the way I like.

Once that was done...
Attachment Attached File
Top Top