Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2013 11:33:34 AM EDT
If found this interesting:
Though overt racism is fairly easy to spot, psychologists believe many people still harbor racist attitudes, especially racist stereotypes, even though they are tolerant in their daily life. A new way to spot hidden racism, which may even be subconscious, is to monitor the brain activity of an individual when they view images of white and black faces. Developed by a Swiss-American team, this methodology is imperfect but intriguing.
The methodology employed in the team's experiments involved monitoring of the subject''s brain's fusiform face area while they were shown images of various races. The results indicated that in individuals known to have stronger racial biases, the fusiform face area rendered and recalled the faces of blacks and whites in a way the emphasized the differences between the two races. Intriguingly, it can be concluded that to a certain extent, well entrenched racism directly affects brain function, which then perpetuates racist attitudes.
However, only individuals with strong racial biases showed detectable levels of differing brain activity when viewing black faces. Therefore, individuals that are subtly racist, or come from a racist culture but are attempting to overcome racism could not be detected with current technology.

Works Cited:
"Race Bias Decreases Similarities in the Brain's Representations of Faces." Race Bias Decreases Similarities in the Brain's Representations of Faces. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Jan. 2013.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
So once again a mental disease is found to be a common trait of democrats.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#3]
A new way to spot hidden racism, which may even be subconscious, is to monitor the brain activity of an individual when they view images of white and black faces.

It's official.

I hates me some white people.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Hahaha, that is exactly what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Stereotypes are just a mental illness, they don't have any factual basis.
Who the fuck pays for these worthless studies and the jobs they create?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#6]
There ya go.  Turn in your guns, the fMRI says you're racist mentally ill.

ETA although I find it fascinating that survival traits are now mental illnesses.  Does this mean that things that are 'natural' or that 'the way you're born' isn't automatically good and acceptable?  Hmm.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#7]
And just for the record, I loved lethal weapon with Mac in blackface so I cant be a raciest.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Though overt racism is fairly easy to spot, psychologists believe many people still harbor racist attitudes, especially racist stereotypes, even though they are tolerant in their daily life. A new way to spot hidden racism, which may even be subconscious, is to monitor the brain activity of an individual when they view images of white and black faces. Developed by a Swiss-American team, this methodology is imperfect but intriguing.
The methodology employed in the team's experiments involved monitoring of the subject''s brain's fusiform face area while they were shown images of various races. The results indicated that in individuals known to have stronger racial biases, the fusiform face area rendered and recalled the faces of blacks and whites in a way the emphasized the differences between the two races. Intriguingly, it can be concluded that to a certain extent, well entrenched racism directly affects brain function, which then perpetuates racist attitudes.
However, only individuals with strong racial biases showed detectable levels of differing brain activity when viewing black faces. Therefore, individuals that are subtly racist, or come from a racist culture but are attempting to overcome racism could not be detected with current technology.

Works Cited:
"Race Bias Decreases Similarities in the Brain's Representations of Faces." Race Bias Decreases Similarities in the Brain's Representations of Faces. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Jan. 2013.

Most important part of the passage.  There are also conceptual and philosophic problems with the research, but that hasn't stopped psychologist from producing crappy research before.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works Cited:

Most important part of the passage.  There are also conceptual and philosophic problems with the research, but that hasn't stopped psychologist from producing crappy research before.

I don't know if that refers to their entire approach be flawed, or to it not being able to detect all racists.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Works Cited:

I don't know if that refers to their entire approach be flawed, or to it not being able to detect all racists.

They are probably referring to it not being able to detect racists.  They are ignoring the problems with the approach.

ETA: At least from the tidbit that is posted.  I would curious if in their methodology section they covered that part, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#11]

However, only individuals with strong racial biases showed detectable levels of differing brain activity when viewing black faces.

So, they didn't test any black people to see their reaction to white faces?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
However, only individuals with strong racial biases showed detectable levels of differing brain activity when viewing black faces.

So, they didn't test any black people to see their reaction to white faces?

No, they did not. Only whites viewing blacks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#13]
The Swiss experts have a lot of experience with racism; or is it the cheese
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I seem to recall a University study some years ago that concluded that stereotypes more often than not were accurate and more often than not downplayed the characteristic that was stereotyped.

I'll spend a little time on google looking for it.

I wonder if the people who created that study had a mental illness.

ETA this isn't the study I was referring to but it looks like an interesting read.
Social Perception and Social Reality

ETA again:  Here is another.
http://www.johnderbyshire.com/Opinions/HumanSciences/stereotypes.html
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I seem to recall a University study some years ago that concluded that stereotypes more often than not were accurate and more often than not downplayed the characteristic that was stereotyped.

I'll spend a little time on google looking for it.

I wonder if the people who created that study had a mental illness.

+1

Stereotyping is a valid survival adaptation - all animals who live in social groups are suspicious towards outsiders, even ants and bees.

The real illness is the moderninst/humanist fixation on denying the differences between people.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A new way to spot hidden racism, which may even be subconscious, is to monitor the brain activity of an individual when they view images of white and black faces.

http://tmq2.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/dianne_feinstein.jpg?w=500

It's official.

I hates me some white people.

Since you brought  the Di Fi.
http://www.qando.net/details.aspx?Entry=5914
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top