Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2003 3:52:05 PM EDT
This is going to be a to be a topic of debate (continueing debate, no less) in my local newspaper tomorrow.  Does this seem to lack common sense or is it the old argument about letting down your guard too far and assuming that because they can swim they are no longer at risk.

Just hard to believe it does not at least HELP.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Too many parents are sending kids to swim class at too young a age.

Teaching 2 and 3 year olds to swim will not drownproof them. They have to be at least school age, both to be strong enough to keep themselves above water and get in and out of pools unassisted and so that they will simply be able to remember what to do.

Because your child went to a swimbaby class when they were 11 months is not going to protect them when they are 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Every kid should know how to swim. If they can't, a fence is the next thing. [rolleyes]
AB
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
So are you saying that my unlce's idea of swimming lessons via throwing me in to the neighbor's pool wasn't the correct way to learn?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I never learned how to swim until I was around 11ish.  I was in the water alot just never really learned how to swim.  While in the Boy Scouts and got a the "you suck" white bead in swimming.  I decided that would be the last time I got that crappy bead.  I went on to learn to swim and in the 6th grade saved my first person from drowning at the school pool.  I went on to Varsity Swimming(swimming mile warm-ups and giving a guy who was headed to the olympic trials a run for his money!!!) and Life Guarding where I had many saves over a period of four summers.  It seemed that almost all saves were non-swimmers. These were usually real young kids or adults who were bombed but again non-swimmers.

I will be teaching my kids to swim and water safety.

BTW my first "save" was a girl who didn't know how to swim a lick who jumped off the diving board into the deep end of the pool.  Not real smart.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So are you saying that my unlce's idea of swimming lessons via throwing me in to the neighbor's pool wasn't the correct way to learn?
View Quote

This is how I learned also. I don't think you'd want anyone seeing you do it these days though.
AB
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I took swimming lessons as a kid, and I never drowned.  Does that help? [:D]

[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#10]
In general a good idea, unfortunately, they can breed fatal overconfidence in swimmer and parent.

Yau still gotta keep an eye on them
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Learning to swim should be made MANDATORY in order to graduate from Grammar school.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Used to be a lifeguard.

taught about 1500 kids how to swim.

Absolutely teach your kids how to swim. I agree with it being a prerequisite for graduation from gradeschool.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#14]
As has been said, its the panic that kills.  I did the swimming lession thing up through lifeguard, but never bothered to actually get the certification.  Damned glad I did too ... It can be hard to hang on to an overturned sailboat -- easier to just stay near the boat by holding one of the lines and tread water/do the wierd floaty thing that works rather well (the one where you go limp and just raise your head to breathe when you need to).  I also now believe firmly in wearing some sort of floatation vest while boating  (said incident occured when I was young(er) and (more)foolish than I am now).

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I am going to cut to the chase.

Swimming lessons IMPORVES your childs chance of survival!

However like anything else it takes practice, and exposer. Just the lesson will help some but it needs to be combined with time in and around water. If a child builds a fear of water, all of the lessons in the world may not make a difference. The child has to become comfortable around water to help conquer the panic issue that was already mentioned.

The most important thing as parents, is to  continue to monitor our children regardless of what lessons they may have attended. It only take a second, and they can be gone.

CH
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I put my kids in swimming lessons at age 5 and 4.   Two years later the 5(7) y/o is on a competitive swim team now and the 4(6) y/o is still afraid of the water.  I still keep the fence around the pool and don't let either go in unless I am outside. The one thing that parents never do to test their kids swimming abilities in emergencies is tossing the kid in the water fully clothed.  Even if the kid can swim good the sensation of wearing clothes and shoes in the water makes for a very different experience.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top