Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 3:11:16 AM EDT
I saw this browsing VWVortex.  This looks like a bitchin' idea and it outta get absolutely awesome mileage.  That engine is good for 50 MPG+ in the car it originally came in, I can only imagine a stripped down lightweight like a CRX.  The Youtube videos scattered about are also pretty cool.  I definately want that car.  

Want!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Why?

The Stock CRX engine was fantastic... IIRC the thing got 40 mpg or better.. you could slap in an Si engine in it and rice tune it....

I had a '79 VW Rabbit w/ the diesel....it was slower than a man with erectile disfunction in a strip club!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#2]
The Golf I/Rabbit weighed about a 1000 pound less as well - and the swaps documented and its practically a bolt in. But hey, something to be said for novelty. The CRX wont be as light once that lump is in there.

The '85 NA (1.6 carried over from the 81-84 MkIs) engine didnt have that much more power than your '79 - and Mark II Golfs were pigs in comparison - so you didnt have the worst of it T-AR.

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why?

The Stock CRX engine was fantastic... IIRC the thing got 40 mpg or better.. you could slap in an Si engine in it and rice tune it....

I had a '79 VW Rabbit w/ the diesel....it was slower than a man with erectile disfunction in a strip club!

+1
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had a '79 VW Rabbit w/ the diesel....it was slower than....
Diesel technology has progressed a bit since the 70's.

VW's highest-performing cars have the TDI engine. The only downside is the high cost of admission.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a 91' CRX Si (16 valve) new and easily got 40mpg @ over 60mph.
Stick with the Honda engine.
The curb weight of these cars were around 2200#
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#6]
The last time I check my 89 CRX got 43 MPG on a highway trip. Swapping in that diesel would give you 5 more MPG with fuel that costs $1 more per gallon

fail.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The question is why do it? Your not going to gain much except to have a bastardized car. How much more mileage are you going to gain and at what cost? You'll never get back your investment in time or money!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The last time I check my 89 CRX got 43 MPG on a highway trip. Swapping in that diesel would give you 5 more MPG with fuel that costs $1 more per gallon

fail.

Bingo!  Around here you pay 20-25% more for diesel fuel.  Your MPG would have to improve by the same percentage just to break even on fuel cost.  Then you have to pay for the conversion itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top