Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2014 6:40:00 PM EDT
I've got a 97 Suzuki Marauder. I went out to start it this morning. It cranked for a half second made an od clicking noise and I lost all electrical power. I checked the battery and it is good to go. Intermittantly I would regain power but every time I hit the start switch it would lose all power again. I have done google searches and looked over the MIG forum but can't find any information on this exact problem. I signed up for the MIG forum but cannot post or search for 24 hours since I am a new member. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Checking a battery with a mult-meter is not a proper test if that is the way you did it.

Measure the voltage across the battery when you hit the starter.  It should only drop 2 volts or less.

Clean the positive and negative terminals.  There may be hidden oxidation.

Check ground connection to the engine from the battery.

Check condition of main fuse holder.  Look for burnt, loose, or corroded connections.

Call back and let us know what happened.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Checking a battery with a mult-meter is not a proper test if that is the way you did it.

Measure the voltage across the battery when you hit the starter.  It should only drop 2 volts or less.

Clean the positive and negative terminals.  There may be hidden oxidation.

Check ground connection to the engine from the battery.

Check condition of main fuse holder.  Look for burnt, loose, or corroded connections.

Call back and let us know what happened.
View Quote

I'm a car guy and know it is not the battery. I cleaned the terminals and checked the grounds, all good. I checked all fuses and the 30 amp main fuse on the starting relay. All are good. This is something electrical. The entire electrical system goes down. I have no lights, horn blinkers ect. absolutely nothing functions electrically.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a 93 Suzuki that did similar.  Though it would do it going down the road too.  You have a lose ground somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
jump the sidestand, neutral and clutch switches one by one. I bet one failed.

Failed to read it all. Ignition switch, broken wire in the harness?

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
How do you know the battery is good? Did you do a load test?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The battery cables are loose

ETA. Missed the part where you said you checked them. Re-check at the battery and at the other end. Classic symptoms of a loose cable or a shorted battery.

Did you load test the batt or just throw a meter across it?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a battery. They can read perfect on a voltmeter and still have a bad cell. Try cranking it while reading voltage.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#8]
IM sent that may help out.

-Gary
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Take key switch apart and clean it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top