Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2010 3:27:39 PM EST
Hey guys, I have a question about suspended jail sentences.

I used to work in loss prevention. I had this thief who was the bane of my existence last summer, I put in a boat load of work to finally get his ass. I got him for two counts of grand larceny. He plead guilty to both a few days ago. I just looked it up, he was sentenced to a year in jail. Fair enough.

Thing is, he had quite a criminal record. Everything from shoplifting to identity theft to running from the police.

A few years ago he was busted stealing from another store. It was his third offense, so they hit him pretty good. He got 5 years, with 4 of those years suspended. This was in 2006 and he got out of jail for that in 2007.

The county that gave him the suspended sentence immediately came to his house and arrested him when my charges on him came to light. The court website says it was for a probation violation. I'm assuming it was because he got caught stealing again.

Do you legal types think he will have to serve out the 4 year suspended sentence now? I really hope so. This guy is a total punk ass thief who needs his ass handed to him.

I was just curious, figured I'd ask here.

Link Posted: 7/17/2010 3:36:24 PM EST
He should definitely spend another year or two in jail for the probation violation. They'll probably still let him out before the four years are up, though, as states are broke and he's a non-violent offender.

On a different path, he may stay in jail in the original jurisdiction until he is sentenced in yours. The first jail will then probably release him to the second.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:12:39 AM EST
Thats about what I expected, thanks for the quick reply!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:42:54 AM EST
It depends on where in Virginia it is, but I would be surprised if he has to serve all 4 years. As has already been mentioned, chances are he will have to serve some of that suspended time and the remaining time will be resuspended. Based upon what I have seen, I would think that he would end up getting sentenced to about 6 months to a year from that suspended time.
Top Top