Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 10:32:28 AM EDT
Authorities on Sunday released the identity of a Wilsonville man who drowned in Lay Lake after he jumped into the water while trying to evade a Shelby County sheriff's deputy.

The body of Timothy Riley Morris, 28, was recovered at 10 p.m. Saturday, more than five hours after he dived into the Okomo Marina area of the lake and began swimming.

Morris, also known as "Shug," was wanted for one count of second-degree escape with a bond of $100,000 and one count of receiving stolen property, second-degree, with a bond of $100,000, authorities said Sunday.

Deputies were trying to serve the felony warrants on Morris when they arrived at the lake and saw Morris standing next to a car. When he saw the deputies, he jumped into the lake and began swimming. Authorities said he appeared to be struggling. Deputies attempted to get help, but were unable to rescue him before he went under. They lost sight of him about 50 yards from where he entered the water.

Deputies requested assistance from local residents with boats and requested the Sheriff's Office marine patrol boat. Within minutes the patrol boat arrived and began searching for Morris. The Alabama Marine Police, Southeast Shelby Rescue, Lay Lake Rescue and the Calera Dive Team also responded. At 10:15 p.m. members of the Calera Dive Team located the body of Morris. Carol Robinson --

One less thug in the world.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:48:48 PM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:51:13 PM EDT
Drowned by his own pants I bet!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:02:47 PM EDT
Shug, your mamma told you not to wear those pants to town! Hopefully you were wearing clean underwear. If not, maybe you were in the wash long enough to clean 'em up.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:04:10 PM EDT
Here I thought this would be a dupe about the 'cuffed guy in Alaska who stole the squad car, abandoned it, then ran into a hornet's nest and drowned when he dove into the lake to get away from them...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:06:59 PM EDT
No big loss to society. Was his ARFCOM tagname KlubMarcus?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:09:31 PM EDT
Nonswimmers...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:13:52 PM EDT
Same thing happened in my wife's hometown in Ohio last spring. A 21 year-old was throwing eggs at cars one night. Cops come by, the guy takes off running, and jumps in the river (which, by the way, was running high and fast due to the spring melt). I guess he wasn't too far out, one cop risked himself by going in after him (don't think I'd have done it) because he was floundering (still about waist deep), and drags him back. The guy gets loose, jumps in again, swims out, and goes under.

They found him about a month later when the water level went back down to normal. The guy kills himself for what would have been a misdemeanor ticket.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:26:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 3:26:38 PM EDT by BUCC_Guy]

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Authorities on Sunday released the identity of a Wilsonville man who drowned in Lay Lake after he jumped into the water while trying to evade a Shelby County sheriff's deputy.

The body of Timothy Riley Morris, 28, was recovered at 10 p.m. Saturday, more than five hours after he dived into the Okomo Marina area of the lake and began swimming.

Morris, also known as "Shug," was wanted for one count of second-degree escape with a bond of $100,000 and one count of receiving stolen property, second-degree, with a bond of $100,000, authorities said Sunday.

Deputies were trying to serve the felony warrants on Morris when they arrived at the lake and saw Morris standing next to a car. When he saw the deputies, he jumped into the lake and began swimming. Authorities said he appeared to be struggling. Deputies attempted to get help, but were unable to rescue him before he went under. They lost sight of him about 50 yards from where he entered the water.

Deputies requested assistance from local residents with boats and requested the Sheriff's Office marine patrol boat. Within minutes the patrol boat arrived and began searching for Morris. The Alabama Marine Police, Southeast Shelby Rescue, Lay Lake Rescue and the Calera Dive Team also responded. At 10:15 p.m. members of the Calera Dive Team located the body of Morris. Carol Robinson --

One less thug shug in the world.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:28:11 PM EDT
water pollution's a bad thing. Glad to see the gummint was able to clean up the mess.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:32:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bmick325:
Nonswimmers...

Heh heh heh I hear ya.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:38:09 PM EDT
Just another turd in the punch bowl of life.

This type thing is in the news with regularity here in Florida. We gots lotsa water.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:56:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:59:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:02:12 PM EDT
Crawfish have to eat, just like the worms and buzzards.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:18:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Morris, also known as "Shug,"

Shug dont swim well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:27:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By captainpooby:
Drowned by his own pants I bet!

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:29:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Combatvet:
No big loss to society. Was his ARFCOM tagname KlubMarcus?

No, but he said you were his babydaddy CombatVet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:39:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Shug dont swim well.

"Shug don't surf."
Top Top