Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2002 3:06:02 PM EDT
My company, which employs about 500 (or DID employ about 500) is cutting staff by about 30% in all departments.

I was spared the axe.  That's four rounds in just under six years.

Either I'm doing something right, or they've forgotten about me like that guy in the movie Office Space.  (If they take my stapler...)

I brought a GUN to work today BTW.  Going target shooting after hours.

[peep]

edited for spelingg
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

... Oh well, I make the most of the time off. I've spent most of my life working.
View Quote

Now there's a sobering thought.

I've spent most of my life working, and I'm only about to turn 44!

[chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Went through a major shake down this past summer.  HR actually sent the RIF notices overnite to my whole team.  The new Director had to hold a video conference that morning to inform us to disregard the packages that were arriving at our homes during the video conference.  My wife read the package before I could call her, and she flipped.  She called my desk and left a frantic vmail while I was still in the conference.  She had been laid off a few months before and was really scared.  She still doesn't have a job.  I don't think you can get any closer to the axe without getting cut then that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
OMG!

They just gave the other Senior engineer in my group his walking papers.  The junior guy was moved to another department on Monday.

That leaves me and my supervisor to take care of about 100 servers.

This SUCKS!

btt
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Job Description
Job Title (ID) Location Date Openings

Senior Software Engineer (02-512-000011) Pasadena CA  Jan 18 1

Career Band/Zone/Level Hiring Manager

Technical- Purple- 1  

Requirements

Work independently on problems of diverse scope and is capable of independently executing complex assignments in an ISP environment, including design of conceptual approach, implementation and troubleshooting. Exercise independent judgement on issues related to multiple products/services.  

Skills/Experience

Languages: Java,EJB,C,C++,Perl,LDAP,XML,HTTP, and Shell scripts. Experience in using CVS. Experience in UNIX programming and operating systems.

Requirements/Education

BS in CS/CE/EE or related field and 5+ years experience; or, MS in CS/CE/EE or related field and 3+ years experience; or, 7+ years of applicable technical experience.

Other Considerations

Experience in DBMS is a plus.  
Travel (% of Time): 0% - 25%
Days Employee Will Work: Monday - Friday  
Relocation Provided: No
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top