Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2002 11:27:39 AM EDT
Does anyone here have any links to provide info on water storage and filtration for emergencies.
I know about treating with bleach and such but I am wondering about the water filters that remove solids and such. Do they have a shelf life?
I got my postassium Iodate tabs but I was looking for info on water supplies and storage. I think next if a dirty nuke or some such foolishness were to happen a drinkable water supply would be a top priority. Id kind of like to have a few colapsable bladders and the means to treat/filter creek water if need be regardless of how contaminated it is by either bio-chem or just the usual contaminants in it. I would like to be able to treat about 10 gallons a day for at least a few weeks if need be. Like the scouts say "be prepared". I cant be the only one here not to think about it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope this helps, read all replies...etc.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=118833[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used a PUR Hiker model on the Appalacian Trail, in North Carolina and suffered no ill effects from drinking water filtered from nasty water sources that we found along the trail.  If I had to do it again, I might upgrade to the PUR Voyager series, just to get more complete filtration and protection from viruses!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The British Berkfeld will gravity filter 12-24 gallons of potable water per day, depending on the model used. Prices range from $199-$279.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I got my postassium Iodate tabs but I was looking for info on water supplies and storage. I think next if a dirty nuke or some such foolishness were to happen a drinkable water supply would be a top priority. Id kind of like to have a few colapsable bladders and the means to treat/filter creek water if need be regardless of how contaminated it is by either bio-chem or just the usual contaminants in it. I would like to be able to treat about 10 gallons a day for at least a few weeks if need be. Like the scouts say "be prepared". I cant be the only one here not to think about it.
View Quote

Well us people in earthquake-prone So. Calif., storing drinkable water would be wise & prudent precaution. A lot of people were caught unprepared, and probably still not prepared during the '94 Northridge earthquake, but...  There are blue water barrels in 50, 35, 15 gallons. I think the rule of thumb is 1 gallon per person per day. Throw in some Oxy-Store ($13/bottle treats 2 55-gal [url]majorsurplusnsurvival.com[/url]) water treatment, and you won't have to worry about water for 5 years. Check out [url]http://majorsurplusnsurvival.com/tip%20why%20water.htm[/url] for more tips on water storage.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top