Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/4/2007 1:29:03 AM EST
All right my wife loves to shoot and hunt. But I want to make a pack with some survival gear like food, water and medical etc. in it. Also some sort of self defence items like pepper spray(she doesnt like handguns). She works about 15 mins away from our home in Flint Michigan(very high crime rate).Also somtimes goes to Detroit. She doesnt really share my intrest in being prepared in case of an emergency and not to mention justify spending hard earned money when times are tough but I feel her safety is important. Also what do you ladies have to say about kids. I have 4 and ones in high school. I would love and try and make something for him because I do not trust the schools to protect my kids if there is a gunman. Do any of you ladies have any ideas about selling this to my wife?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:38:49 AM EST
know one knows your wife. how can we sell her anything?
you married her. if you can't convince her or make her see reason what makes you think anyone here can?

the car should already have most of what she will need. first aid kit, etc.
buy a case of water and some food she will eat that won't go bad in a hot car and call it good.

other than that i can't see you changing her mind about what she considers extra stuff.
that is until she needs it and don't expect a thank you if she ever does need it. and don't give her an i told you so.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:41:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2007 4:42:23 AM EST by BadgeBunny]

Originally Posted By hk940:
know one knows your wife. how can we sell her anything?
you married her. if you can't convince her or make her see reason what makes you think anyone here can?

the car should already have most of what she will need. first aid kit, etc.
buy a case of water and some food she will eat that won't go bad in a hot car and call it good.

other than that i can't see you changing her mind about what she considers extra stuff.
that is until she needs it and don't expect a thank you if she ever does need it. and don't give her an i told you so.

Bad mood today? I believe he was probably looking for some advice, not a dressing down.

I don't know if this will work for you or not, but it is worth a try. I wasn't interested in handguns at all until my husband took me to an IPSC match. You said she likes to hunt so I am guessing there is a little bit of a competitive streak that just needs to be "tweaked". Sure worked on me!! If you don't have it already get your conceal carry license. Leave the stuff laying around so she can look at it without any pressure from you.

As far as the stuff in the car thing goes, again, when my darling husband didn't get what he wanted by asking outright, he resorted to sneakiness and bribery. Yes, we have a wonderful relationship! There are no less than 5 MREs in the trunk of my little bitty VW Convertible as we speak. Not to mention jumper cables, flares, a first aid kit, a couple of those survival blankets, a half dozen bottles of water and Lord knows what else. I am afraid to look anymore.

I can't think of anything else right off the top of my head, but this might give you some ideas. Good luck.

ETA: Minors in school are a whole different creature. I cannot advise you there, except to say that I would use an abundance of caution with regard to what I send to school with my kids.

Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:21:53 AM EST
I'm working on this with my wife now as well. For her, and what seems to be working, is making sure that everything "looks" good. I know you may be thinking "in a survival situation, who cares?". Well, she does, and if I can make it "look" good and not an intrusion to her space in her car, then she's fine. Just a suggestion, look at small cases, etc that everything can be secured in. Girls like purses and stuff like that for a reason, try to appeal to her design/fashion side, may buy you a bit more understanding. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:51:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By I_M_2_SANE:
Micro purse with a pre-paid cell phone ( how's about 150,000 minutes ) and a Visa gift card loaded with about $500k. That should put a smile on her face and keep her at the ready for any emergency she may have.

Do you need a wife?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:01:42 AM EST
One stop solution

Another option

Both of these kits are sold by the Red Cross. My wife saw a presentation on these and decided we needed to have one in each car. Somehow, the ladies seem to receive the idea better when it comes from the Red Cross.

You'll have to add the personal defense items yourself, though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:24:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By BadgeBunny:

Micro purse with a pre-paid cell phone ( how's about 150,000 minutes ) and a Visa gift card loaded with about $500k. That should put a smile on her face and keep her at the ready for any emergency she may have.

Do you need a wife?

Me thinks you're only interested to aquire the said emergency kit.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:48:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By BadgeBunny:

Do you need a wife?

Me thinks you're only interested to aquire the said emergency kit.

You know it honey!! I am always looking for my next ex!! All I need are your most current health card and financials and we can talk! (Hey, guys look for boobies, girls look for security!)
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:52:17 AM EST

That sounds like my emergency kit. Only I added a Sig in mine too..
Top Top