Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2002 8:47:18 PM EDT
We have a local neighbor who has cameras mounted on the eaves of his house. One points toward my front door, and the other to his next door neighbors back yard.

today he sent the next door neighbor a letter stating that he is recording the activities in case of legal action. His complaints are of the kids too loud, the kids are a 14yr old boy and a girl of 10. He has recorded the girl and her friend on the trampoline, the dog on a chain, and the mower without a grass deflector.

I guess the question is, is this legal? The neighbor will talk to a lawyer Monday, so what are your thoughts?

He really doesn't bother me much with his camera, but I did tell him that if it did, the last picture he would see is a high speed bullet.

He also listens to all the neighborhood phone calls on a scanner, so I always stay away from the wireless phones. How to deal with him??? fullclip
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We have a local neighbor who has cameras mounted on the eaves of his house. One points toward my front door, and the other to his next door neighbors back yard.
(SNIP)
I guess the question is, is this legal? The neighbor will talk to a lawyer Monday, so what are your thoughts?
(SNIP)
He also listens to all the neighborhood phone calls on a scanner, so I always stay away from the wireless phones. How to deal with him??? fullclip
View Quote

Set up a 35 mm still camera, a parabolic microphone on your front lawn. Hire some kid to sit in a car with binoculars and pretend to write down every that happens.

If he complains, tell him you have a government grant to study jack asses.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, yeah. He needs a cease and desist order to stop invading his neighbors privacy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Paranoia.  And way too much money.
View Quote

Probably closer than you think, his major complaint is about the neighbors cat drinking from his swimming pool, and the nextdoor neighbor is too messy. fullclip
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
He probably works for the government. It's a conspiracy. You should sneak over and spray paintthem while wearing pantyhose on your head.

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Fullcip,

I believe that he can record, but only his property.  I believe it falls under federal law for some type of invasion of privacy if he tapes somone elses property. As far as the phone calls, I believe it is legal, as long as it isn't a cellular phone.  regular handheld cordless ones I believe are still game.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Recording what takes place out-of-doors where one expects no privacy is perfectly legal. Shooting at another persons property is normally illegal and stupid. Complaining about a too loud kid, a dog on a chain and a grass deflector is stupid.

I have three cameras and a recorder that cover some of my home. I'm adding two more cameras in the near future. If an idiot shot at my camera I assure you that they would be convicted of the felony and forfeit the right to own firearms.
View Quote

Kind of touchy today??  If you will reread my post, I stated that" it relly doesn't bother me much, but if it did..." so most would assume, correctly, that the guy and I have already talked about it. I stand by the rest of my post and he knows where we stand on the subject. fullclip
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Jake75 I believe you are right, something about a reasonable expectation of privacy on their phone. but I don't think it applies to thier ten year old girl getting taped and filed while jumping on thier own trampoline. I hate to think of what I might do if it was my girl.  fulclip
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Ya know those cheap little LASERs you can get at Wal-Mart and other places? They can be mounted to a wall on the exterior of a house pretty easily. If you aim it just right, it will not only wipe out the imaging capacity of the cameras, it may even permanently disable the CCD. Just an idea. Also, it seems this cranky-my-prostate-is-the-size-of-a-football-hey-you-kids-get-off-my-lawn asshole needs some Tide in his pool and some roofing nails in his drive.  I don't like neighbors like that. Good fences make good neighbors, but only if you respect the fence.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Poikolotrm, good ideas, but the problem is, I really like both of these guys and don't(at this time..LOL) want to fan the flames or instigate any more trouble. really want it to just go away... fullclip
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Start leaving Zoloft and Paxil liturature in his mailbox.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Start leaving Zoloft and Paxil liturature in his mailbox.
View Quote

or I could just share mine[:)]  fullclip
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you sure it isn't Jimmie Kimmel or Adam Corrola taping a segment of girls on trampolines?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#16]
If I got a letter like that from a nutcase neighbor, I'd get my own lawyer.
The descrition of the scenario and actions makes me get the hair on my neck up.
Doesn't feel right.

edited for:
Don't say things like you'll shoot his camera; you might get arrested for "MINORITY REPORT" style offenses...you haven't done it yet!  You're under arrest!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]
While "shooting the camera" is what I told my neighbor, I can see now that I should have left that out here.I'm sure that most can understand the underlying meaning, as he did, but it went over very badly here.

For the record, this guy and still visit and share a few cold ones on a regular basis, and there is no hard feelings yet, but the problem is brewing in the neighborhood. Thanks all.. fullclip
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Do funny smells come from his property?
a.  Chemical
b.  Vegetative

Is he getting senile?  Alcoholic?

Does he ever talk about wiretaps?
If he scans portable phones, he is setting himself up for some serious pranks.

But videotaping young girls is not cool.  And why does he say he has one trined on your front door?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#20]
buy some cheap voice disguising devices and have a neighbor call you (one end uses cordless phone) and talk about some nice conspiracy to pump his ass full of sunshine, check with lawyer first for acceptable topics though.  let him spin his wheels trying to figure out what is going to happen, make him cry wolf to often.     The hunters can be hunted.   Sneak over and put some cheap bugging devices on his house.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#21]
A number of good suggestions above.  Two things I'd suggest:

1.  Get that letter and a description and possibly some of your own photographs of the area (for clarity) to the police.  Especially that business about taping young girls on the trampoline.  

Definitely no hostile, or anything that could be interpreted as hostile action, on your part.

2.  Get a Realtor, find a new place and move.  Of course, you could give a better deal to some of the more undesirable types you could find.

Yes, I know and agree, shouldn't have to go away since you are not the wrongdoer.  But, that's the crap society that has been created and imposed upon us.  Frankly, it's cheaper in the long run.  You just want to get on with life and not be bogged down by this crap.  It's not enough to have trouble over, but this a*shole will only get worse.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#22]
If I were the neighbor who received the letter I would buy about 10 of my own cameras and place them where they can view his entire lot. This can be done with a few hundred bucks at Sam's. They would watch his front and back yard, where he parks his cars, mailbox and anywhere else he might be seen. I'd even angle one to see in his garage if I could.

Then I would return the original letter back to him with my own little note, "Right back at ya!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top