Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 8:41:18 AM EDT
I am in the market for some surround sound speakers.  I have recently purchased a Kenwood 6070 receiver and now i am ready for speakers.

I am interest in the Infinity Entra Point 5 HTS and Sony SA-VE835ED.

Does anyone have any recommendations or info on this stuff?

Thanks...........
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I lean toward Klipsch for my speaker needs.  

[url]http://www.sounddistributors.com/productlist.asp?crid=63&pcrid=40&cat_name=Home+Theater+Systems[/url]

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.sounddistributors.com/productlist.asp?crid=63&pcrid=40&cat_name=Home+Theater+Systems[/url]
View Quote

Looks like good info on this site.  But be aware they look expensive for some products.  I bought a Sony STR-DE4ES on Friday for $610.  SD's is listing it at $819.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am in the market for some surround sound speakers.  ...
View Quote

What's your total budget for speakers?
Have you listened to the Infinity and Sony's?
Are you starting from stratch, meaning that you would need to purchase all 6 speakers?

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a second vote for Klipsch.

I have a five speaker Klipsch setup with an Acoustic Research sub.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Ascend Acoustics
[url]http://www.ascendacoustics.com/[/url]
6 CBM 170s
CMT 340C Center (quite impressive)
HSU VTF Subwoofer
HK 525
great price to performance ratio...
all timber matched
BlackHawk Down shakes the whole log sided house...hehehehe
[url]http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/index.php[/url]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Paradigm speakers are among the very best in performance/price ratio.  In Canada the prices are just amazing.  If you are comfortable with wood working you could build your own subwoofer.  Right now this is what I have:
Pioneer VSX-D510 Receiver
Paradigm Titan Mains
Paradigm Atom Surrounds
Paradigm CC-170 Center
DIY Adire Audio Tempest subwoofer.

Go to my website  (www.geocities.com/viperaudiox) and check out the pics of the speaker stands that me and dad built.  It also has a pic with my subwoofer in it (not painted yet).  The sub is huge.  Roughly a 24" cube on 4 inch legs, the driver is 15 inches.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I gots the Paradigm p90 (90p?)  OH my lord do they rock!  -(at 80lbs each!)Can get a pair for around 1200 ish  get the matching center for 345 more.

never heard of them until a buddy had a very small set but they sounded awesome!  Better than ANY speakers at WorstBuy or Circuit Shitty  hands down and much cheaper (for what you get) than Klipsch/other high end.  

I will never buy anything but them from now on.
Simply sound amazing
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh yea, you dont need a sub with the 90P's- they have 3 8" subs (powered) in each.  WAY more bass than you will use.  I have put in Bass Boy "music" and they never clipped.

Note- you will need sub output(s) on your receiver
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Yamaha reciever RX-v520 80x5(gold plated electronics)
Yamaha floorspeakers model? Aluminium 3-6-6 with 1" tweeter
Sony surround package 5" woofers
JBL PW-1500 15" powered subwoofers, in current setup, tested for 156 Db

Not the most expensive, or most asthetically pleasing, but it ounds perfect, very little distortion even when at full power.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn.........

Its just like anything else.

A million choices.

I REALLY like Infinity speakers.

However, i havent heard any of the infinitys yet.  In my opinion, you really cant go wrong with them.

Is there any "consumer opinion" sites out there?

I have checked cnet and they really dont give alot of info.

Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am in the market for some surround sound speakers.  ...
View Quote

What's your total budget for speakers?
Have you listened to the Infinity and Sony's?
Are you starting from stratch, meaning that you would need to purchase all 6 speakers?

View Quote

Yes i am starting from scratch.  I need go purchase all the speakers.

BUDGET - None really.....Realistically i mean.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have some good prices.  Have you purchased from them befor?

Are they OK to deal with?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what I have: [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3027627072&category=1499[/url].  I have a Harmon/Kardon AVR520 to power it.  The 12" downfiring sub can get the whole room moving.  I think it is the best set of speakers out there for the price.  Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is what I have: [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3027627072&category=1499[/url].  I have a Harmon/Kardon AVR520 to power it.  The 12" downfiring sub can get the whole room moving.  I think it is the best set of speakers out there for the price.  Just a suggestion.
View Quote

Thanks.  

Ok, heres the deal.  If i want to blow the roof off the damn house, i want to have the capability to do so.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I've only turned it past 0db once and it was painful. [BD]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've only turned it past 0db once and it was painful. [BD]
View Quote

he...he...he...

Surround sound is kinda like that exotic rifle or pistol that you just LOVE to shoot when there are people around........

WHY?

Cause they get that "IMPRESSED" look on their face.

That "IMPRESSED" look may also be confused with that "GOD! THAT MOTHERTRUCKER IS INSANE AND NEEDS TO BE COMMITTED" look.....

[shock]        

[whacko]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the older version of the infinity setup your looking at. It called the minuette or something like that. Its ok, not great. I wish I would have gotten something better. Take a look at energy speakers, the take 5 is a similar setup and sounds incredible. Other brands I would recommend are psb, and mirage. Good luck
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have the older version of the infinity setup your looking at. It called the minuette or something like that. Its ok, not great. I wish I would have gotten something better. Take a look at energy speakers, the take 5 is a similar setup and sounds incredible. Other brands I would recommend are psb, and mirage. Good luck
View Quote

I think i know what set your talking about.  I've lookin around on ebay.  I have found some places that have the Infinity Modulus system just under $1000.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, you want to shake the s*** out of your house.

Build a 2X18 vented box out of faced 3/4" plywood.  You can download a speaker designer from a link at www.partsexpress.com.  Put 4 feet on the face of it so that the drivers and vents are down-firing.  Finish to taste, either paint (truck bed paint works great for contemporary look) or stain.  Order a pair of Dayton Pro 18" 500W drivers.  They are actually Eminence drivers, Dayton builds them for Eminence.  Install in cabinet wired in series for a 4 ohm load.  Power with a QSC MX1500 amp in bridge mono mode for a full 1500W output, taking a signal from your line level sub output.  

Not recommended in plaster houses.  I built a pair of these for my band's PA!

Edited to add: the wood will cost $100, the drivers $370 with shipping, and the amp about $350 from E-bay.

Your center channel speaker and satellites are much easier to deal with.  Many good makers.  
For my own surround system, I am using a Pioneer all-in-one setup.  It isn't too bad, it has a A/V reciever, 6" folded horn sub, 4 satellites, and a center speaker.  The satellites were the weak link, I replaced the front R/L channel's with some 2-way 4 1/2" from Polk Audio.  They were $80 a piece, on sale for $39.95 per.  Very smooth and detailed sounding.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#20]

“BUDGET - None really.....Realistically i mean.”
That could easily be anything from $500 to $5,000.

“They have some good prices.”
Nope.  See the third note in this thread.

“Ok, heres the deal. If i want to blow the roof off the damn house, i want to have the capability to do so.”
“Surround sound is kinda like that exotic rifle or pistol that you just LOVE to shoot when there are people around........
WHY?
Cause they get that "IMPRESSED" look on their face.

That "IMPRESSED" look may also be confused with that "GOD! THAT MOTHERTRUCKER IS INSANE AND NEEDS TO BE COMMITTED" look.....”

I well understand what you’re saying.  But there’s a BIG difference between ‘Loud-Powerful-Clean’ and ‘Loud-Powerful-You’re Piercing My Eardrums-Turn That Crap Down!!’.......    
For the record I’ve got a system that can shake a house and vibrate the concrete slab it sits on (without pain, I think).

For your stated goals, the Infinity and Sony systems you mentioned will not even get close.   To achieve your goal, the system MUST move a lot of air.  Doing so is what causes that thump you feel in your core when at a dance club, similar to the shock wave of a gun being fired.  

How do you move a lot of air?  BIG power and/or large diameter drivers in highly efficient speakers.  The receiver you have isn’t really that powerful.  But it’s more than enough assuming you use moderately efficient speakers combined with a really good subwoofer.  

Klipsch, with their horn loaded drivers, are some of the most efficient speakers you can find.  Meaning it takes very little power to make them play VERY LOUD.   Check their website, particularly the Heritage Series including the Klipschorn, said to be the only speaker that sounds like a real band in the house when heard from the next room.  

See also NHT’s SuperAudio series, Champagne Sound on a Beer Budget.  http://www.nhthifi.com/home_product.asp?subjectid=6

The Paradigm’s mentioned above are fantastic.  Their built-in powered subs are impressive.  And they are very ‘clean’ sounding, loud without distorting.  But it gets even better.  

Definitive Technology BP2000tls.  Check the specs from their site.  They are AWESOME:
“”The new BP2000TL is a further refinement of the three-time Grand Prix Award-winning BP2000. In reality, it is a slightly smaller and less expensive version of the BP3000TL with virtually the same dual D'Appolito bipolar upper range array, joined to a built-in 15" (rather than 18") woofer and 500- (rather than 1000) watt RMS amp. The original BP2000 gave Stereo Review's Julian Hirsch "that special thrill that usually costs ten or more times its price to obtain," and he stated that "I would choose these speakers for myself." Going one better, Home Theater raved, "This slammin' system will probably kill any other you've ever heard." And now, with nearly double the amplifier power of the original BP2000 plus many of the refinements developed for the BP3000TL, the new BP2000TL is a true technological masterpiece which Widescreen Review's Shane Buettner said, "I simply can't recommend them highly enough."

BP2000TL Specifications: Dimensions: 9"W x 17"D x 50"H Response: 15 Hz-30 kHz. Efficiency: 92 dB. Drivers: 4-6.5" cast-basket, bass/midrange drivers, 2-1" pure aluminum dome tweeters in D'Appolito arrays, 15" sub w/500-watt RMS Infinite Power Source amp. Connections: tri-wirable with separate five-way gold binding posts and optional separate low level full range and LFE inputs. Rec. Amp.: 20-500 watts. Nominal Imp.: 4-8 ohms. Auto On/Off: Signal sensing. Finish: piano gloss black or golden cherry. Weight: 125 lbs. Retail: Black $1499.00 ea.”“
These have been updated and improved.  

CENTER CHANNEL?  Check the specs on this Def Tech:
“C/L/R 3000:   Specifications: Dimensions: 25"W x 16"D x 8 5/16"H Response: 19-30 kHz. Drivers: 10" sub, 2 cast-basket 6.5" bass/midranges, 1" pure aluminum dome tweeter. Rec. Amp: 20-400 watts. Built-in Subwoofer Power Amplifier: 150 watts RMS. Nominal Imp.: 4-8 ohms. Auto On/Off: Signal sensing. Finish: piano gloss black or golden cherry. Tri-wireable. Retail: Black $999 ea.”

SURROUNDS?: Again from Def Tech...
“BPVX/P:    Specifications: Dimensions: 22 1/8"H x 11 3/8"W x 7 3/4"D. Response: 23-30 kHz. Drivers: 2 cast-basket 6.5" bass/mid, 2 cast-basket 6.5" subs, 2-1" pure aluminum domes. Rec. Amp: 20-400 watts.Built-in Subwoofer Power Amplifier: 125 watts RMS. Nominal Imp.: 4-8 ohms. Auto On/Off: Signal sensing. Finish: Gloss black or matte white. Retail: White $699 ea., Black - $749 ea”

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I would grab a favorite CD/DVD and go shopping. Your ears should be the judge as to what the best sounding speaker is.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would grab a favorite CD/DVD and go shopping. Your ears should be the judge as to what the best sounding speaker is.
View Quote

Yep, you're right!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#23]
1st choice:  Paradigm
2nd: Def Tech
3rd: Klipsch or Infinity (listen to horns and see if you like em)

I bought an all Paradigm setup after one of my friends got a pair of Monitor 9s.

[url]http://jakezor.doesntexist.com/ht.htm[/url]

Sony for the most part, makes CRAP.

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#24]
LOVE my Definitive Technology system.

It'll blow your socks off.  

Real fun to crank up during AIR FORCE ONE when the jets hit the afterburners.  It is likely being in the cockpit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I have had M&K S85s for about 5 years now. They are incredable speakers for home theater.

M&K has taken the line out of production and you can get a good set for a fraction of the price I paid.

Here is an e-bay sale for a 5 speaker set:
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3028432858&category=32861[/url]

Combine these speakers with a M&K V125 or V150 subwoffer and you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a pair of Maganaplanars serving as the mains, a Klipsch subwoofer, polk audio rears, amd a Klipsch center. Receiver/amp is a Sony 915 series.

Am I cool?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh yeah, don't buy Bose.

[url]http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, don't buy Bose.

View Quote

Ahem!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Just found the link for M&K:

[url]http://www.mksound.com/satellite_speakers.html[/url]

Some reviews of the M&K S85:
[url]http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/m&k[/url]
[url]http://www.magic-hour.co.uk/page10.html[/url]
[url]http://www.laaudiofile.com/s125.html[/url] - S125 is big brother of s85
[url]http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_1/mk-xenon-k-sub-2-2002.html[/url]

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:37:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Some Sony ES recievers are ok but most of their other equipment is cheap.

Yeah I forgot to add what Q3131A said.  Bose blows more than Sony.  It stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment.  LOL

Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I thought of something else, go to Sam Ash, and look at their monitor speakers, they are decently priced and sound great. Forget about my PW-1500 comment, you probably want a downfiring one for real impressive shaking ability.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:05:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, i always thought BOSE was the shit until i talked to a friend of mine.  He is employed at best buy.  I listened to them and i was greatly disappointed.  I mean its clear, but i didnt think they had enough base.  I didnt think they had a "full" sound.  However, they were really sharp with classical type music.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Bose has a eq curve designed into their setups,  a good boost @ 80hz so you think there is bass and a nice hump at 7K so you think there is any high range.

Truth is their "sub" which they don't even call a sub (because it ISN'T!) can't play very well beyond 70-80hz, their setup has a gap in the midrange around 200-280hz. or so (their sub is doing midbass duties becuase their cubes don't go low enough)

Their cubes can't play much above 13Khz and can't go much lower than 300Hz.  

Oh but they are oh so small and cute!  BLEH!

No highs, no lows?  Must be bose.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bose has a eq curve designed into their setups,  a good boost @ 80hz so you think there is bass and a nice hump at 7K so you think there is any high range.

Truth is their "sub" which they don't even call a sub (because it ISN'T!) can't play very well beyond 70-80hz, their setup has a gap in the midrange around 200-280hz. or so (their sub is doing midbass duties becuase their cubes don't go low enough)

Their cubes can't play much above 13Khz and can't go much lower than 300Hz.  

Oh but they are oh so small and cute!  BLEH!

No highs, no lows?  Must be bose.

View Quote

I agree.........
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Take a look at Cambrige Soundworks speakers.  They are designed by Mr. Koss, the "K" in KLH.  They sell complete surround sound setups.  You need to make sure your fron speakers, back speakers, and center speaker are all "matched", or it won't sound as good.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#36]
You wanna know whats wierd about this whole damn thing......

I havent heard half the manufacturers that you all have listed.

Appearently Infinity & Polk isn't very popular.

I am SO glad everyone has given me ALL this information.  

Thank you all.................[headbang]  [hail2]

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:04:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I like Paradigm just beacause they sound awesome, are built like brick sheethouses, and are worth proably twice what they cost- find a dealer that has the 90p's you will not be disapointed.  Infinity and Boston and Defenitive are all good but for the quality and price, Paradigm beats them all.  and like i mentioned before, the powered subs are bulit into the towers so you dont need to buy one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top