BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2005 7:55:36 AM EDT
Hold on to your hats:  Beer.

Oh boy, and no, I'm not kidding.

Apparently beer is rather expensive to transport in terms of fuel.  This makes sense when you think about it since it's damn heavy for its size.

Xerox copies of a fuel order I saw pretty much confirms this.

I spoke earlier today  with a friend of mine who owns four distributors in the Northeast.  His costs are so high at present and he (like almost all distributors) has fixed contracts with fixed prices.  He's decided to hold off on all shipments because he'd actually be losing money on each delivery now.  Apparently this is pretty standard in the agreements all distributors have, as is an "act of god" clause that allows them to suspend shipments temporarily.

Also, some distributors in the south have been using their trucks for emergency evacuations from NO.

Thinking this was BS I went to the corner store today.  A six-pack had $2 tacked on to it since yesterday.  The guy behind the counter was an idiot so I couldn't get anything out of him.

At the A&P however, there was simply "no beer."  I pestered people until I got the assistant manager.  No beer and no idea when there would be more.

I went back to the corner store and bought two cases.

Honestly, this would be funny if it wasn't scary.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I may have to start brewing my own.......
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#2]
What city/state are you referring to?  You do know it is a holiday weekend, sales are up.

Beer is no more expnesive to trasnport than anything else that requires refrigeration and weighs 75 lbs per cubic foot when packaged.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It's easy to reduce the cost of beer, just take the taxes out of the picture.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Budweiser plant 10 miles from my house.  And I checked the tabasco website, they said there will be no tabasco shortage.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Still not convinced I did some calling around.

To make sure this wasn't a load of hooey I bugged four different stores nearby.

I got some interesting results.  First, two of the managers I talked to toally clamed up.  Like they were hiding something.

Last one I called spilled the beans.  Yes, their contract for beer (in particular) was suspended.  No, other liquor was not (these apparently have different kinds of distribution contracts as the volume is lower).

Looters, I guess, who had their picture taken with beer were smarter than we thought.

At the third one I called they admitted the shipments had been suspended but then not-so-politely blew me off.

Holy smokes.  Seriously.

Over here, shortage of beer on a long weekend?  That's crazy.

A shortage of fuel is nothing compared to what this will do for morale.

Xeroxes or not I sort of thought this was nonsense, now I'm glad I got some extra.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
this semester is gonna suck
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
fuck!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#9]
hmm, I work in Golden, Co ... not too far from this place:  

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've got a Budweiser plant 10 miles from my house.  And I checked the tabasco website, they said there will be no tabasco shortage.

I just checked, we've got a Budweiser plant inside the city! Yeeeeehaaaaaaw! God blessed Texas!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm safe - our hometown brew here in KC is Boulevard.

ETA - Based on this post # I'll switch to Bacardi for the week.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#13]
If the SHTF, I won't take over the SuperWalMart; I'll take over the Busch brewery in Williamsburg
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I work in a liqour store.

It's not a crisis, but more a serious inconvenience.

They are not suspending deliveries outright, but they are increasing the minimum buy order for delivery.

Usually you can toss two or three cases on and have them sent up, however now they informed us that they will not deliver until your order exceeds a set amount of cases.

Doesn't hurt us as we can easily turn any of the weekly orders into a 100 plus case delivery as a dedicated liqour store, however the resteraunts are feeling the pinch as they usually only order a handful.

This is across the board with wine liqour and beer deliveries, but in the worst case they're just compacting seperate smaller orders into one larger order that goes out less frequently.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Plenty of local breweries around here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Plenty of good Breweries between the ones made here in Maine and then Vermont 3hours away!

Hey Austrian, what distributers were you referring to in the northeast, b'cus this is freaky?    
I called my friend that owns a convenience store to see if there were any problems with beer deliveries, and he said, "that the two deliveries they were expecting haven't arrived, and that no one answers the phone at the distributers. . . "

M4-CQBR

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
OK, now I'm in a semi-panic!

Quick, Wave call the C.O. of the Bkln. Truck (they do have a E.S.U. truck in Bkln., right?)
and tell him there's a HIGH VALUE TARGET under threat in W'burg that NEEDS 24 hour
protection from some M4 totin' [Pulp Fiction] pipe hittin' Mother F'ers [/Pulp Fiction] here....
www.brooklynbrewery.com/AboutUs/Directions.asp
www.brooklynbrewery.com/OurBeers/OurBeers.asp

Then you can sleep peacefully
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Shortage of beer? No problem, we have a Bush brewery(in Van Nuys, Calif) 20 miles to the north, and a Miller 5 miles just off the freeway. If shove comes to push, I can just drive down to the brewery with my beer mug and fill it up.

But seriously, for some breweries in the Gulf States, the breweries maybe canning emergency water.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Beer is no more expnesive to trasnport than anything else that requires refrigeration...

Mass produced beers don't require refridgeration during transport or storage. They contain preservatives. Walk along any supermarket aisle or look at any beer distributer and see beer stored at room Temp. We (Americans) chill it before serving.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I know some guys might find this Boring but there is essential science here. All things on planet earth run on energy. For humans there are only two real sources, The SUN, and fossil fuels, The sun is ok for food and heating your house but when it comes to our economy 95% is based on fossil fuels. Wiithout it machines grind to a halt and electricity cannot be made. So when it's prices literally double in one year, guess what ? basically the prices of everything else must also rise significantly. I'm suprised we have'nt plummeted into a deep recession over this. So i say we switch to Hemp fuel and hemp beer pronto!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#23]
100 miles from the blessed realm of Anheuser-Busch, St, Louis, MO.

Hell, I'll WALK there if I have too!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:30:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
it's BUSCH'S FAULT

Whew! on the Tabasco thing, though. I was getting nervous.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn!  I'm on call Monday.  Right about the time all the alcoholics will be having their withdrawel seizures.

I have a six-pack of non-alcoholic beer.  How much vodka to I have to add to make it 'real' beer?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

They are not suspending deliveries outright, but they are increasing the minimum buy order for delivery.

Guys, we have to increase our consumption to get more beer.  This is a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Someone offered some advice long ago about buying a case for use and a case to put away in storage.

I decided it was good advice for more than just ammo.

Since I live in an almost dry county I know the local bar will have plenty of beer on hand for a good while but I still keep plenty on hand myself.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

www.mines.edu/Stu_life/mep/Student_Opportunities/SUMMET/SUMMET1997/attractions/coors.gif

Piss Water   try this stuff

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20040701/yuengling.html

Yuengling
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Yuengling is good stuff - luckily it is nearby in PA
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beer is no more expnesive to trasnport than anything else that requires refrigeration...

Mass produced beers don't require refridgeration during transport or storage. They contain preservatives. Walk along any supermarket aisle or look at any beer distributer and see beer stored at room Temp. We (Americans) chill it before serving.

No, they do not. They are filtered to remove a majority of the yeast, and pasteurized. There are no preservatives in canned or bottled beer. Alcohol and hops are just peachy to prevent bacteria from doing bad things, and there is no risk of botulism in fermented wort.

GT
Yes. I am a fucking pedantic beer geek.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

www.mines.edu/Stu_life/mep/Student_Opportunities/SUMMET/SUMMET1997/attractions/coors.gif

Wow. Too bad. No real beer for you either, huh?

viator
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I get my beer which is brewed down the street from me at the Shipyard Brewery. No Shortages here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok, I am getting even more creeped out now.  Drove by four places today.  Stopped.  Only one had any beer at all.  The other three resulted in:

Dumb Look "I just work here."
Dumber Look "Que?"
Coy Look: "Try on Tuesday."

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Are you an "industry insider"?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Lucky for me I can make a case of beer last over a month and bottle of whisky even longer.  Poor Alchies will have a tough ride.  Gas to get the booze is high and the price for the booze will go up.......  the will be immense  <imagining Jabba Laughter>  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Are you an "industry insider"?  

I have NO connection financially with any beer company or distributer or any other firm in any immediately related industry...
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
it's BUSCH'S FAULT

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I just checked the pantry and I have a 3 year supply stocked up. Then again, I only drink 1 or 2 bottles a year.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Reminds me of that bit in Airplane 2 where Julie Haggardy is announcing the situation to the passengers:

Stewardess: Ladies and gentlemen, I'm afraid we have a serious problem.  Our pilot is dead, he was killed by the ships computer which has gone insane and has sent our shuttle on a collision course with the sun.

Passenger:  Wait a minute stewardess, that isn't the whole story, is it?  You're not telling us something!

Stewardess:  Oh yes, we're also out of coffee.

(passengers start screaming and panicking)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Oh FUCK NO!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
it's BUSCH'S FAULT

Thread win!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
it's BUSCH'S FAULT

Thread win!

Agree...Good one TBS!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#44]
At the local Meijer they are fully stocked on beer. Bud and Miller are both on sale at $14.25 for 24 cans or bottles.  They actually have so much it wont fit on the shelf, the beer aisle has several stacks of cases on the floor as of last night.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
100 miles from the blessed realm of Anheuser-Busch, St, Louis, MO.

Hell, I'll WALK there if I have too!

I am only about 7 miles from one here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Good thing I live in milwaukee and within walking distance of a few micro breweries.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Still no beer in 3 of the 4 stores near me.

Others?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
it's BUSCH'S FAULT

LOL!

Buy local brews? Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#50]
FYI, the beer eisle at the local Shaws
was fully stocked. No price increase
that I can see.

Picked up a sixer of Guinness.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top