Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 9:39:00 AM EDT
Sure, I was speeding, officer -- I'm insured!

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Tired of parking fines and speeding tickets? A Swedish company offers insurance against both, claiming to be the first in the field.

Swedish drivers who register with the Bisso company at the Web site www.bisso.se and pay an annual fee of 850 crowns ($112) are covered against three speeding tickets a year, as long as they are not more than 30 km an hour (19 miles an hour) above the limit.

For an extra fee, drivers can buy cover against parking fines. Fines in Sweden, which has one of the best road safety records in the world, range from 800 to 2000 crowns for speeding and 425 to 700 crowns for parking offences.

"We believe drivers are under economic pressure and there is no room in household budgets to pay fines. We offer economic protection," said Dan Glimmeras, head of marketing at Bisso.

He told Reuters insuring against speeding fines was not illegal, but repeat offenders could still lose their license.

Several thousand people had signed up for the insurance since May, Glimmeras said.

news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050810/od_nm/sweden_speeding_dc;_ylt=Arjd4tjKpJd2XDjxIoIXH6Os0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#2]
It'll never fly in the US because it will put too many lawyers that make their living pleading charges with the prosceutor, out of business - then what will the poor fellers do, sell traffic citation insurance or open check cashing shops?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Too bad this still wouldn't cover my speeding habits. I could do that 155mph Cinci-Columbus run I've always been wanting to do if they had some premium coverage.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
this is gonna take off big in the states

Don't some radar detector companies already offer to pay radar ticket fines if you buy/use their product?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

out of work lawyers?

sounds good to me

dream on!

As long as adults continue to behave like children, there won't be enough lawyers to go around.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
How much is a Swedish crown in real money?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Old Joke. Long hard day. Driver speeds on highway, police officer pull him over and walks up to the car

<Officer> I'ver been waiting for you all day.
<Driver> Yea, well. I got here as fast as I could.

Officer laughs and lets the driver go with a warning.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
"We believe drivers are under economic pressure and there is no room in household budgets to pay fines. We offer economic protection," said Dan Glimmeras, head of marketing at Bisso.

It should read: "We believe Police departments are under economic pressure and, therefore, need to generate revenue via a road use tax (speeding).
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It should read: "We believe Police departments are under economic pressure and, therefore, need to generate revenue via a road use tax (speeding).

HUGE +1
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't need such insurance.

I obey the law.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How much is a Swedish crown in real money?

annual fee of 850 crowns ($112)

If I'd venture a guess I'd say around 7.5892 crowns to the dollar.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't need such insurance.

I obey the law.

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

<---has lead foot

<--pleasantly surprised when annual 'fast driving tax' amounts to less than $200

<--would buy speeding-ticket insurance in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Ugh, both my speeding tickets are for 20mph over, I would get double screwed on this.

On a side note, I nor any of my friends have been pulled over for doing less the 20mph over the limit, which leads me to believe their just looking for the high ticket stop.  Though the average speed here is 10-15mph over the limit anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top