Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/23/2002 8:34:43 AM EDT
[url]http://www.fresnobee.com/state_wire/story/1507127p-1583831c.html[/url] [b]LAPD officer had previous criminal record before he was hired[/b] A police officer suspected of committing a series of armed robberies and stealing money from drug dealers had five felony arrests before he was hired by the Police Department, court records show. "We're disappointed someone slipped through the cracks," said Mitzi Grasso, president of the Police Protective League. Uh-huh. So did the ones in the Rampart division. I'm sure you're sorry about them too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:05:25 AM EDT
You have no idea what kind of politics come into play when hiring civil servants. I can speak from experience when I tell you some minorities are pushed through the hiring process just to fulfill unwritten quota goals. Politicians put enormous pressure on Police administrators and City heads of Human Resources to look the other way and hire minorities with questionable backgrounds. Usually this ends up as an embarrassment for the Police Department, they look bad not the politicians who forced them to hire these people. Then people who don't know any better put the blame on the Police. Having done back ground investigations on police candidates I can tell you that we do a very thorough job. I have seen more than a few instances where the investigator has given a negative report and the candidate(minority) was hired anyway. The problem is much worse in larger cities.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 9:09:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KBaker: [url]http://www.fresnobee.com/state_wire/story/1507127p-1583831c.html[/url] [b]LAPD officer had previous criminal record before he was hired[/b] A police officer suspected of committing a series of armed robberies and stealing money from drug dealers had five felony arrests before he was hired by the Police Department, court records show.
View Quote
Sound slike a classic case of "If you can't beat them, join them..."
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 10:52:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Sukebe: Politicians put enormous pressure on Police administrators and City heads of Human Resources to look the other way and hire minorities with questionable backgrounds. Usually this ends up as an embarrassment for the Police Department, they look bad not the politicians who forced them to hire these people. Then people who don't know any better put the blame on the Police.
View Quote
Unfortunately, it's not about blame, it's about trust. Regardless of who puts pressure on whom, the police department [i]is[/i] at fault for not having a spine and refusing to hire without a full background check. As a result of that policy and others, the police department gets a black eye for having not one or two bad apples, but a number of them - resulting in a loss of trust between the department and the people they supposedly "serve and protect". When that happens, you end up with a spiralling problem - no one wants to BE a cop except the ones who want to profit from it. That way lies anarchy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:10:05 AM EDT
The problem is that the person who is ultimately responsible for selection of a police recruit (chief of police) is usually a political appointee of the person applying the pressure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:20:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2002 11:31:45 AM EDT by OLY-M4gery]
Originally Posted By KBaker: [url]http://www.fresnobee.com/state_wire/story/1507127p-1583831c.html[/url] [b]LAPD officer had previous criminal record before he was hired[/b] A police officer suspected of committing a series of armed robberies and stealing money from drug dealers had five felony arrests before he was hired by the Police Department, court records show. "We're disappointed someone slipped through the cracks," said Mitzi Grasso, president of the Police Protective League. Uh-huh. So did the ones in the Rampart division. I'm sure you're sorry about them too.
View Quote
Ya' know PBS had an investigation on that. The "probe" started because of 3 officers that hung out together #1) Was killed by another officer when he tried to instigate a gang looking armed road rage incident with his service weapon. #2) Was arrested for bank robbery. #3) Was arrested because the officer that shot #1 was being investigated, for switching drugs for non-drugs in the evidence room. Well it turns out that #3 was trying to get revenge for #1 being shot. So LAPD started investigating him. They found gang/drug/rap connections. He owned 2 houses, and was hanging out with some unsavory characters. He was arrested for a variety of charges and admitted shooting an unarmed man and planting evidence on the victim. LAPD wanted to question him about #1, and #2 and what other criminal associations they might have had. They offered reduced prosecution and immunity for anything he "confessed to" while talking about other crimes or corruption. He never talked about #1 or #2 but could talk about endless crimes committed by other officers. When they charged some other officers in relation to his info, he refused to testify against the accused officers. He also bragged about being able to "get" any cop he wanted to his cellmates. I just wonder how reliable anything that #3 says is. I forget if it was #2 or #3 but the apparently were involved in a rap related homicide in LA, one of Puffy Combs rappers, Heavy something or other, was the guys "name". supposedly in retaliation for the muder of tupac chicur or sixpac licker, whatever his name was.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:22:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KBaker:
Originally Posted By Sukebe: Politicians put enormous pressure on Police administrators and City heads of Human Resources to look the other way and hire minorities with questionable backgrounds. Usually this ends up as an embarrassment for the Police Department, they look bad not the politicians who forced them to hire these people. Then people who don't know any better put the blame on the Police.
View Quote
Unfortunately, it's not about blame, it's about trust. Regardless of who puts pressure on whom, the police department [i]is[/i] at fault for not having a spine and refusing to hire without a full background check. As a result of that policy and others, the police department gets a black eye for having not one or two bad apples, but a number of them - resulting in a loss of trust between the department and the people they supposedly "serve and protect". When that happens, you end up with a spiralling problem - no one wants to BE a cop except the ones who want to profit from it. That way lies anarchy.
View Quote
The police are a reflection of society and the people............ You get the police dept. you want, whether or not it is really what you need.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:26:21 AM EDT
The LAPD, like alot of other things in America's largest city, is huge. There are, what, 9,600 sworn officers? There are going to be bad ones, hell, even bad divisions (see "Rampart"). But there are also more than 150,000 gang members in the county as well. Tough city to police! Bottom line, I do trust the average LA cop to do a good job, but am always wary of them until I see they're going to live up to my expectations. BTW, the chief of police is as far removed from the day to day runnings of this dept. as the CEO of a large corporation, or a CO of a division. This ain't Mayberry!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 1:59:37 AM EDT
this whole problem of hiring bad cops is a DIRECT RESULT of klintongs "100,000 new cops on the streets" program. the feds dangle a ton of money to these large depts which makes them MASS HIRE to get that fed cash, use it or lose it. not enough time is spent on the background checks, and a higher percentage of bad people become cops. LAPD, NYPD and others have had this problem, as im sure other large urban depts around the country will suffer from the mass hirings that is triggered by the klinter govt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:16:39 AM EDT
quote by OLY-M4gery "He never talked about #1 or #2 but could talk about endless crimes committed by other officers. When they charged some other officers in relation to his info, he refused to testify against the accused officers. He also bragged about being able to "get" any cop he wanted to his cellmates. I just wonder how reliable anything that #3 says is". OLY, your doubt is right-on. Actually, the DA didn't dare put him on the stand. A huge investigation proved 99%(?) of Perez' allegations against other Rampart coppers to be completely false. However, the witch hunt by promotion seeking pogues ruined the careers of many good cops. Three of four CRASH officers were found guilty of felony crimes by an L.A. jury, but the judge threw out the convictions saying that the jury did not convict based on the evidence. To this day, hard working officers sit in their stations of assignment doing nothing (no public contact) because they carry the stigma of having been named as "in the loop" by a lying, thievin', murdering son of a bitch, who couldn't shine the shoes of those he accused. The PBS (Frontline) story was a decent account of things. They also did the "Tailhook" scandal story, which was another career ruining witch hunt. Anyway, when I read "see Rampart", I get a little defensive. To anyone who cares, the LAPD and the media aren't exactly friends. Almost all of the accused officers had their names splattered all over the papers, but when those same officers were exonerated of crimes or misconduct, their names were no longer worthy of print.
Top Top