Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 11:36:50 AM EDT
Early on Fox I saw that there is talk of a Supreme Court Justice retiring this summer.   If we get another conservative judge on is it more likely to have nfa over turned as unconstitutional, than to have the HPA passed, and other Firearm type laws repealed?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#1]
If you think the Supreme court or any of the members on it really give a fuck about the Constitution...You have another thing coming.

They are just as corruptible as an elected official.

Also, Clarence is getting old and probably wants to go away.

The supreme court has far too much power and weighs to heavily in our government. We need real, constitutional fixes for the progressive problem.

-Limit legislative terms
-limit Judge terms
-Limit the Court power
-No more mandatory spending
-Budget must be passed. If a budget isn't passed, the previous year budget will be adopted with 10% cut to everything
-nullify the 14th,16th, 17th amendment.
-Return senators to the state, to be elected by state representative.*Give states back their power*
-Citizenship should not be based on where you are born, rather who you are born to and whether or not you accept that citizenship at 18.

I'm not legal scholar. I am sure there are kinks that need to be worked out. However, this is just a pipe dream. No one wants a constitutional government. They want handouts, favors, special rights..on both sides...

Don't believe me? Talk about entitlement reform. Specifically Social Security.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you think the Supreme court or any of the members on it really give a fuck about the Constitution...You have another thing coming.

The supreme court has far too much power and weighs to heavily in our government. We need real, constitutional fixes for the progressive problem.

-Limit legislative terms
-limit Judge terms
-Limit the Court power
-Budget must be passed. If a budget isn't passed, the previous year budget will be adopted with 10% cut to everything
-Return senators to the state, to be elected by state representative.*Give states back their power*
-Citizenship should not be based on where you are born, rather who you are born to and whether or not you accept that citizenship at 18.

I'm not legal scholar. I am sure there are kinks that need to be worked out. However, this is just a pipe dream. No one wants a constitutional government. They want handouts, favors, special rights..on both sides...

View Quote

Bravo....
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The NFA will never be overturned as unconstitutional. If you had nine Clarence Thomases, at least five would vote to uphold it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The NFA will never be overturned as unconstitutional. If you had nine Clarence Thomases, at least five would vote to uphold it.
View Quote
it will take a massive turnover of elected officials in congress that are extremely conservative to even consider it, because the law needs to be repealed, even then I don't think it will happen
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:57:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

-Limit legislative terms
-limit Judge terms
-Limit the Court power

View Quote
None of that is ever happening. Sorry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
There are three Justices who really do try to uphold the Constitution.

Unfortunately it takes the vote of five to hear a case.

And then there is Steri Decisis, which is the SCOTUS doctrine of not overturning prior decisions.

With five Constitutionalist Justices a lot of BS decisions would be revisited and overturned. Trump may get two more SCOTUS nomination. If so, and they are in the mold of Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch, there is hope.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are three Justices who really do try to uphold the Constitution.

Unfortunately it takes the vote of five to hear a case.

And then there is Steri Decisis, which is the SCOTUS doctrine of not overturning prior decisions.

With five Constitutionalist Justices a lot of BS decisions would be revisited and overturned. Trump may get two more SCOTUS nomination. If so, and they are in the mold of Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch, there is hope.
View Quote
We still need to see how Gorsuch does in his new role.

I expect a constitutional argument out of him.  But we will see this June.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
@cttb

Care to back that claim up or you just giving your uneducated opinion on the man?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Its not a big issue with voters or elected officials.  Dont expect it to ever gain traction.  It would take a majority of elected officials getting interested in shooting and NFA ownership to make any traction. And we aint there yet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
You are all delusional if you think politicians or judges want to take their own power away and give freedom back to the people.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@cttb

Care to back that claim up or you just giving your uneducated opinion on the man?
View Quote
It's a joke using absurdity and overstatement to illustrate several points. First, having nine Clarence Thomases is impossible. Next, even if you had nine Clarence Thomases, presumably they would all vote the same way since they're the same person. The notion that five of the Clarence Thomases would vote to uphold the NFA and four would vote to overturn it is a jab at the fact that Supreme Court justices drive political agendas, while giving a nod to the fact that Clarence Thomas is the strictest Constitutionalist we've ever had.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe 1% of the population even knows what NFA is, let alone cares about it.  It's been on the books 83 years.  It's not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

-Limit legislative terms
-limit Judge terms
-Limit the Court power

View Quote
MY MAN (Like Denzel Washington would say it)
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#14]
It would be trivial to start by staffing up the NFA branch so the wait times are weeks instead of years.  

Oh wait....
http://www.guns.com/2017/04/13/atf-announces-nfa-branch-reorganization/
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Let's see, even the great Scalia left some room in Heller for some restrictions on firearms. 

So I think no, the Supreme Court will never overturn the NFA in whole as unconstitutional. 

We'll never get 5 justices more conservative and originalist than Scalia. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I see OP just got his medical marijuana card.  He's high AF.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I see OP just got his medical marijuana card.  He's high AF.
View Quote
He doesn't need a card if he's in CA. Just hit and enjoy.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

-Limit legislative terms
-limit Judge terms
-Limit the Court power

View Quote
Social Security is not an entitlement.  I paid into it and expect to get it back.  With interest.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Social Security is not an entitlement.  I paid into it and expect to get it back.  With interest.
View Quote
Are you entitled to more than you paid in?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

-Limit legislative terms
-limit Judge terms
-Limit the Court power

View Quote
What about SS ? a bullshit Ponzi scheme we were forced to participate in, With the promise the money would be there when we were to receive it, in stead it was pissed away and given to every loser who never paid a dime into it.
Oh don't call it an entitlement that is a bullshit term used by the media.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

-Limit legislative terms
-limit Judge terms
-Limit the Court power

View Quote
!!!BAM!!!
...and in before the SS apologists...

ETA; too late
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:48:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I would be thrilled if they overturned the Hughes amendment, even if they decided to keep the NFA.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Even best case, a liberal voluntarily retires and allows themself to be replaced by Trump's choice (which will never happen), the court would be 4 conservatives, 3 liberals, and 2 unreliable swing voters.

That's no where near the makeup you want for an NFA challenge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top