Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2001 7:45:13 AM EDT
I have never fired a firearm with a suppressor. Does a suppressor happen to effectively reduce recoil like a muzzle brake would?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#1]
yes, recoil and noise. all a matter of what a device does with the propellant gasses.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:49:10 AM EDT
[#2]
They also make the best flash suppressors.[:D]

Added:

When you say suppressor, are we talking noise or flash?

A sound suppressor makes reduces felt recoil a lot, as well as eliminates flash.
Most flash suppressor do nothing or very little for recoil.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think they really do anything to reduce recoil. I have shot a suppressed 77/22 with sub-sonics it has no recoil. When you shoot it with standard .22LR it has about the standard 'recoil' of a .22LR.  The recoil factor is more of shooting the reduced sub-sonics than the effect of the suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Shooting standard .308 loads out of a Remington M40A1 (700) with an AWC
Thundertrap, is about like shooting a .22LR.  The cross hairs don’t move much,
and you can see the hole appear in the paper.

I've never shot a .22LR with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#5]
also doent a sound suppresspor make the gun more accurate something to do with barrel harmonics or something
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, yes I do mean noise suppressor.

cyrax, I have heard that a bake makes the gun more accurate.

Anyone tell me where I can see the thundertrap brake or recomend a good one?
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The Thundertrap is a full fledged sound suppressor made by AWC.

AWC does sell some flash suppressors.

I don’t know about a suppressor making a rifle more accurate, however they will
change the point of impact when installed.  AWC sells some sort of muzzle nut or
flash hider that acts as a barrel tension device.  In theory changing the torque on
the muzzle nut will change the barrel harmonics.  I don’t really know anything
about them.  Kinda like a Browning Boss system I guess.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Here ya go:

[url]http://www.awcsystech.com/thundertrap.htm[/url]

RK
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I fired a MAC-11 at Front-Sight's free one day submachinegun course in Las Vegas. We used supressors to make the weapon more maneagable (it's very short otherwise, no place to get a good grip with non-firing hand) but we were also allowed to try them without the can on...  it did make a significant difference in reducing recoil, as well as the obvious reduction in noise. As far as the noise goes, with the cans on they were still pretty damn loud, nothing like what you see with all that "phht phht phht" BS you see in the movies.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an AWC MK9 for my SBR UZI. Using sub-sonic loads, it sounds like a snneze in a large pop can, and thump when bullet hits the dirt. I took and showed it off one evening to a bunch of fellow shooters (indoors) and it sounds sort of like a pneumatic nail gun, ppffhht...THUNK, this is with no ears indoors.  With std ammo, outdoors,, you here the sneeze inside the can, and hear the bullet "rip" through the air down range (like a big sheet being ripped).
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 7:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone think that the reason the Uzi's that RYANG was talking about are so noisy even with their suppressors due to the fact that they are an open bolt design?

From what I recall with semiauto firearms different levels of noise bleed through will be experienced due to the action of the particular firearm, open bolt semi or full autos are probably the most noisy, closed bolts being less noisy, and a firearm being fired in semiauto with a slide locking feature likely being the most effective in a similar manner to bolt actions or manually operated firearms.
Link Posted: 5/12/2001 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I realize there's some trade-off with a full auto weapon that fire's from an open bolt, I was just surprised that they were still that loud.  I have heard an MP5SD go full auto and that thing was quiet!  The suppressor design was a factor as well, I'm sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top