Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2014 3:50:36 PM EDT
I don't want to bore you guys with a topic that probably comes up about once a week so I am lookin for a direction in which to head.

I have been out of the gym for way too long (like 15 years) and am looking to re-educate myself as to which supplements these days are worth a damn. I'm sure the science has evolved considerably during the last decade and what I used to know probably doesn't apply anymore.

Way back when, it was all about whatever whey powder was cheapest, handfulls of Amino Fuel, creatine and Ripped Fuel. Remember that stuff? Is Twin Labs even around anymore?

I don't need to get big anymore, I need to rebuild the strength that used to be there and shed a few pounds.

So where is a good place to start reading?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Mountain dog diet and anything by meadows.

Shelby Starnes.

Eric Serrano.  

Kiefer

Theses re who I'd go to for proper diet and potential supplements

Short list: creatine, bcaa, fish oil, glucosamine chondroitin, protein powder of your choice... I prefer true nutrition...
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I use fish oil, Whey protein, Whey protein plus dextrose (PWO).

If I was on a severly restricted diet I would add a Casein protein powder for before bed. Whey is cheaper and taste better though.

Every agrees Creatine works. The question is it worth the money? With creatine you'll gain some water weight and illusion of size (fuller muscles) and some strength. The only debate is will any of the strength gains remain when you stop taking it? I personally havent used it in years but others swear by it.

Much of this of course depends on your goals. I dont care what i look like. I want my clothes to fit good, to be healthy and be harder to kill. I'm not even the same species as a body builder.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If I was on a severly restricted diet I would add a Casein protein powder for before bed. Whey is cheaper and taste better though.

Every agrees Creatine works. The question is it worth the money? With creatine you'll gain some water weight and illusion of size (fuller muscles) and some strength. The only debate is will any of the strength gains remain when you stop taking it? I personally havent used it in years but others swear by it.

Much of this of course depends on your goals. I dont care what i look like. I want my clothes to fit good, to be healthy and be harder to kill. I'm not even the same species as a body builder.
View Quote

I stopped taking creatine, haven't really noticed a difference in my strength.

Now BCAAs, those things are magic.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are a few sites with good info.  Body recomp and Alan Aragon's site you   will have to dig a bit to get to the good research.

Examine.com

Body Recomposition

Alan Aragon
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BCAAs look like the ticket. Any brand you would recommend?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I buy mine from TrueNutrition.
That's where I get my protein from too. I was taking the beef protein but have switched to cold filtered milk. I like it better as it mixes easy and tastes way better.

I workout after work so I use C4 preworkout to get me going.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top