Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 6:36:50 AM EDT
observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1702564,00.html

Brits need to worry about dentist visits, not how much we eat for a football game...

Super Bowl will be a giant game of overeating

Robin McKie, science editor
Sunday February 5, 2006
The Observer

So who ate all the snacks? Even by their gargantuan standards of over-indulgence, couch potato Americans are preparing to outdo themselves during today's Super Bowl, the sporting highlight of the country's year. They will guzzle their way through truckloads of crisps, peanuts, pretzels, popcorn, nachos, pizza, olives, biscuits, cheese and anything else they can find in the fridge. Britons may drink themselves silly during big games - Americans stuff themselves stupid.

According to research by the US Calorie Control Council, gridiron fans will today eat 11 million pounds of crisps, 8m lbs of tortilla chips, 4m lbs of pretzels and 2.5m lbs of nuts. The average armchair quarterback will consume 1,200 calories, and 50 grams of fat, in a three-hour scoffing binge. The average Eritrean struggles to eat that in a day.

For the whole nation, the consumption is staggering. A total of 156 billion calories will be absorbed by the 130 million people watching the Pittburgh Steelers take on the Seattle Seahawks at Ford Field in Detroit. You could satisfy east Africa's 11 million hungry for about a week with that.

Needless to say, such intakes have a devastating effect on the health of Americans. This is a people born with silver shovels in their mouths, claim the cynics, who argue that authorities will soon have to install speed bumps at all-you-eat-buffets, hand out estimates rather than menus in restaurants, and grease door frames so that people can squeeze through.

Hence the Calorie Control Council has issued special Super Bowl advice for this first time. Try low-fat crisps, it has recommended. Axe the fatty dips with pretzels and have salsa instead. The council is even urging fans to try a pre-tournament workout: running round a stadium track for an hour and a quarter would nicely balance that 1,200 calorie intake. Right.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
1st half for the commercials, that's about it
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#3]
The food and the commercials are the best part!  Stop trying to ruin what little fun we football-haters have!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, what else are you going to do besides eat.  When you go to the movie to watch a movie, what do you do?  EAT.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I recall years ago some feminist group all over radio complaining about the Super Bowl as a "day of the Three B's":

BREWS

BETTING

BEATING

The lady I heard on the radio was "trying to raise awareness" of the problem.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife went out for an errand to pick up SuperBowl snacks (to the regular grocery not the MILFy one so I didn't go with her). She just got back and commented that the salsa and dip aisle was decimated.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:21:54 AM EDT
[#8]
GO STEELERS
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I eat like that most every night.  Nothing new for me.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't go to the gym 3-5x per week, only to be forced to eat low-fat crisps during a major sporting event that occurs only once in a year.  

I'm going full bore today.  Buffalo wings.  Pizza.  Beer.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top