Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 7:53:32 PM EDT
I don't know how much it has rained so far this evening, but I looked outside after noticing some lights out the window. The freaking Fire Dept is out looking for "those in need"

I hop in my truck and head down to my friends house, just 1/2 mile down the road, to see if he needed help moving anything (he lives in a low lying area) but he already had everything on high ground.  Good thing, as his yard was under 2 foot of water.

I return to my house, crack open another beer, and look down into my yard....

%$#@!%VCV@%^C~~!!!!!!WTF!!!  My garden is gone!!  

Well, I suppose it's still there, but very damp to say the least.

My driveway is what was left of a railroad crossing between two hillsides, so, except for the 30" pipe that runs under my yard and driveway, I basically have a dam.

This should explain better

I think I might need to start new plants

Update:

Garden didn't turn out nearly as bad as I feared.  A bit of debris to clean up, but overall, not too bad.

In this pic, the driveway is off to the right, just a little above the road, the water was above the round, green, mulch thingy...   Maybe this pic will help with the perspective thing

This is the stream after it goes under my yard and driveway, obviously, the 30" pipe only let the water rise up just a little, but man did that rain knock the hay down
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You are dreaming.

Any minute now, you'll wake up.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember, beer and snorkeling don't mix!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Eh, you're probably right...

Tomorrow, after all that muddy mess runs down the creek, hopefully all I'll have to do is pick up some debris....

....I hope
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Hate to be the bringer of bad tidings (pun intended) but you appear to have more in store!

weather satellite map 12 hour coverage

Hell, it looks like a damned freight train headin' your way!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm trying to figure out how many perspectives that MS Paint is from.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm trying to figure out how many perspectives that MS Paint is from.

Just one, but I been drinkin' remember  

actually, the line representing the grass is the lowest point of my yard, the garden is a bit higher up the slope (~5-8 feet) to avoid too much water (OOPS)... the top of the driveway is ~30 ft above the lowest point in the yard
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
It's been storming all night here.  My buddy and I went out to drive around in it and caught some cool pictures of the updraft.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hate to be the bringer of bad tidings (pun intended) but you appear to have more in store!

Yeah, they have the warnings coming across the radio for flash floods...  I think the flash floods are pretty much over now, it's not like they can really get much higher.  The only worries are folks that live close to the rivers and such...   they may be in for a few hard days
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's been storming all night here.  My buddy and I went out to drive around in it and caught some cool pictures of the updraft.

I don't want to sound the idiot... but, What's an updraft?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Crap, power went out and stayed out this time.  

The UPS is urgently reminding me to turn of my PC now

Gotta go
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't want to sound the idiot... but, What's an updraft?

It's what feeds a thunderstorm.  It's rising warm, saturated air.  I don't know WTF andrasik is talking about though.  I'm a meteorology major.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I drove out through WV Saturday morning, down I-79 on my way out west. It friggin rained HARD the whole way through - I basically hydroplaned from county to county.

If it's been raining like that for more than a day or so, I have no doubt you are ready to float away.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:

It is still 70 degrees with 91% humidity here. Most of Indiana has a tornado watch until 3:00 A.M. This looks to be a fun night/morning.

NWS Radar

Lightning Strike Map
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Updated with a couple pics.   One of which helps with 70sat's perspective problem
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top