Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2009 5:24:36 AM EDT
Walked out to pick up the Sunday paper this morning and the are 2 BSO deputies blocking an old Lincoln Town car right near the end of my driveway. Seems said occupant of Town Car tried to steal the tools of a neighbor a couple of houses away. They asked me to check around my property to see if there was a black tool box discarded which I did, but didn't find anything.

I had been thinking about getting a 4-leggged burgular alarm recently, maybe a trip down to the Humane Society will be on tap for this afternoon. It's right around the corner from Bass Pro, so that will work out just great.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#1]
You live in Florida. Just get a couple of alligators instead of a dog.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Pics or GTFO.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Pics or GTFO.

Let's not overreact Francis. Every post can't be BS. Just get a good meter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Pit that protects this house and said family!
Makes lots-o-noise when anyone is in the driveway, ( walking or driving ).
I want antother Dog, she does a good job, but two is better than one, and I figured she could train the "nexted generation in the ways of the house!"

Think of it this way,
You could handle one dog, if being attacked by it,
Two be harder, Three would be real tuff, almost impossable if unarmed.
Real good first line of defence IMO.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:37:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pics or GTFO.

BSO has already left
There was no draw-down or shots fired
I suck at posting pictures

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:59:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics or GTFO.

BSO has already left
There was no draw-down or shots fired
I suck at posting pictures

Ahh, Broward county. I lived in Broward for about 7 years. One of the reasons I left. Just too much crime in the Miami area even if you do cc.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Dogs rule.

They don't need to be big-bad-ass dogs, either.  Anything with a good sense of hearing and a halfway loud bark will suffice.  Frankly, I don't want my dogs attacking anyone - it is MY job to kick ass if someone breaks in.  They are just another layer of detection.  They can also discern cars/people they are used to seeing (family who regularly visit) and those that are out of place.  Listen and learn - you'll start being able to tell (roughly) whether or not they are barking at something that deserves your attention.

Now when a stray cat is on the porch they'll still make enough racket to convince you that Satan himself just stepped out of the flaming chariot O' death...

Now, a bigger dog might deter BG's casing your house better than, say, a chihuahua.  Personally, any dog that weighs more than about 35 pounds has the lungs to be heard CLEARLY outside and wake people inside from the deepest of sleeps.

I live a couple of hundred feet back from the road and yet joggers still cross to the otherside of the street when they hear my two mutts (45 pounder and a 75 pounder) start barking from INSIDE.

My dogs are from the humane society.  Great pooches.  Tack on the other plusses of a canine companion and they are full of win.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Get one of these. Cane Corso.

Cane Corso Pics & Info
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Miami with no dogs = FAIL!  

*note dogs as in 2 or more.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Just had a cop drive by here too, he waved
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Walked out to pick up the Sunday paper this morning and the are 2 BSO deputies blocking an old Lincoln Town car right near the end of my driveway. Seems said occupant of Town Car tried to steal the tools of a neighbor a couple of houses away. They asked me to check around my property to see if there was a black tool box discarded which I did, but didn't find anything.

I had been thinking about getting a 4-leggged burgular alarm recently, maybe a trip down to the Humane Society will be on tap for this afternoon. It's right around the corner from Bass Pro, so that will work out just great.

Did you tell them to come get some coffee when they finished? Contrary to what you read in GD, treating cops like humans has its advantages.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you tell them to come get some coffee when they finished? Contrary to what you read in GD, treating cops like humans has its advantages.

As I was walking down the drive it was the first thing I asked them, told them I just had a pot finishing in the kitchen. Went down to the Humane Society this morning, they had 2 Siberian Husky males (3 months old) for adoption. Both had a hold on them awaiting approval. I might have a shot at one of them, if not i'll keep trying.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#13]
You need this big boy.

Presa Canario.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You need this big boy.
http://www.sanderskennels.com/02-19-05%20060%20presa%20canario.jpg
Presa Canario.

I wouldn't have a problem with a dog like this from the start. My wife is alittle skittish of a full grown and would rather have a pup to train and watch grow. That looks like it could have a side job pulling cars out of ditches.

I also like your third sig line, it would make a great bumper sticker.

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need this big boy.
http://www.sanderskennels.com/02-19-05%20060%20presa%20canario.jpg
Presa Canario.

I wouldn't have a problem with a dog like this from the start. My wife is alittle skittish of a full grown and would rather have a pup to train and watch grow. That looks like it could have a side job pulling cars out of ditches.

I also like your third sig line, it would make a great bumper sticker.

ETA: The Presa Canario is the same breed that killed that lady in her apartment hallway in San Francisco back a few years ago.  They arent mean, but damn they could kill ya just by playing around.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You live in Florida. Just get a couple of alligators instead of a dog.

I keep one chained to each corner of the property, the chains just keep them from reaching one another....

Comedy gold watching the meter reader.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top