Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 6:07:12 AM EDT
It took 'em 3 years, but they finally caught up with me and I received a summons to Jury Duty.

I figure I'll just tell 'em I know my right to Jury Nullification, that I have read the entire Constitution and that I am a republican and a member of the NRA. That should get me dismissed ASAP (at least in this Radically Liberal county).
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Everyone's gotta pay their dues...hehe
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on whether or not you or your family will suffer financially by your stint at jury service.  If you really can't go, or are completely opposed to the idea yourself, that's one thing.  Otherwise, I'd suggest you go.

1.  It's your duty.

2.  It's the only way there will be a balanced jury.  Otherwise it's all a bunch who have nothing else to do all day; you know what most of those are like.

3.  Perhaps your knowledge of nullification and feeling for the Constitution may save someone who deserves saving.  Suppose someone is being railroaded?  You could save them.  Or, the obvious anti-firearms propagande being used in a trial: you know better.

4.  It's not half bad.  Sit around and read magazines and books.  Sometimes one needs it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
cc48510, as much as I hate to say this, I think we need to get some real American jurors like ourselves into our court rooms.
View Quote

I third the motion!  Consider what would happen if you were in court as a defendant.  Regardless of the offense, would you want a bunch of lazy brain-dead liberals on the jury?!?  I'm agnostic, but that whole golden rule (categorical imperative, whatever you want to call it) thing is the only way to go.  If you want a fair jury, [i]be[/i] a fair jury.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got selected for our County's next Grand Jury session.  One day a week for six months.  It's a job I wanted.  Gonna be non-biased but I'm gonna stand for our rights.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want to show them you're proud of what and who you are, you'll do your jury service.

I'd rather have you on a jury than some of the people who end up serving by default because of others who adopt the attitude that I'm too good or too busy to serve.

C'mon it's not that painful! Don't be such a pansy!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I got my jury summons a few weeks ago, and will be reporting tomorrow morning at 9:00.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Its not a bad thing! They got me twice.
Just use the TC method.
1. Fill pockets with candy and gum.
2. Buy a shotgun news
3. Find the smokinest babe in the place
4. Sit with her, offer her some gum
5. The SGN will provoke some interesting talk one way or the other.
6. ENJOY! You arent at work and you're getting paid anyway.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I was summoned a couple weeks ago for the second time in 11 years.  It was interesting and thought-provoking to have to weigh evidence and discuss the facts when we were deliberating.  If you are fair-minded, I'd encourage you to serve.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Got mine a couple weeks ago.  I was excited about going it in next month but, working 6 - 12's is not going to allow me to help out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I served on jury duty from January through May this year.  I was glad to be called.  It is a duty and a privilege for every American citizen to serve as a juror at some point in their lives.  I would hate to think that all the level headed, reasonable people wiggle out of that service because they find it a bother.  I found it quite interesting, and feel good that I was instrumental in keeping an innocent man out of jail.  You should do your part and be proud that you did.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#14]
GUILTY !!!...GUILTY!!!...GUILTY!!!...

GUILTY for the crime charged

GUILTY for a differnt crime you weren't caught for

GUILTY for the crime you'll commit if I let you go..

Either way mfer...your going to jail.. so the message to all the boys in the hood is real simple...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Aimless...I was called for one of those "sit around and wait for nothing" trials.  I'll have to admit, I was a little ticked off at them wasting everyone's time like that.  But, I was called back the next week for an actual trial, and was glad to be of service.  

This poor guy was getting railroaded by his tramp of an ex-wife.  We had the privilege of putting a stop to her devious little plan, and it sure felt good.  She's probably dating the cop who testified on her behalf right now...poor shmuck.  But I digress.....

Anyway, the satisfaction of seeing that justice is truly served is worth whatever you have to put up with to get there, IMHO.  [;)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm happy when called for JD, the country needs rational people on juries. Not unemployed, system-suckers, that vote not guilty for everything.

They always kick me off though....
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]
IMHO Serving Jury Duty is an obligation.

It's easy for me to say because the system in my county is less trying than others with smaller populations.

They send you a letter assigning you a number and a phone number to call. On Monday of that week, you call first thing in the morning--before you go to work. A recorded message tells you which numbers need to be down at the courthouse. If your number isn't listed, the message tells you to call back the next day. This goes on for the whole week, but I've never had to miss a day of working from home.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys forgot the obligatory link: [url]www.fija.org[/url]

Do you think you'd be allowed to sit on a jury in Russia or China? Keep your mouth shut about FIJA and get on that jury! Or else someone may sue you and collect a bajillion $$ from you someday.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:18:55 AM EDT
[#20]
We all on this board talk about up-holding the Constitution and everything, here is your chance to put your money where it counts. Our system of government is dependent on the people to participate in the process whether voting or jury duty.
When you serve on a jury you will get a better understanding on how the system works, why the news media is baffle at some of the decisions of the jury. It is interesting that the news media never print the jury instructions, which is a very important part of the trial.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:26:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I was joking about telling them that...if I'm going to be there anyways, I damn well better get a good one...

Unfortunately, I'll probably get some moneysucking old woman who got tapped from behind and is suing. People love to sue for the stupidest around here and the ambulance chasers are all over TV.

I'd be glad to serve a criminal case though. It just pisses me off when people sue for a little whiplash which'll go away in a few days because some slimeball lawyer on TV told them they were guranteed $10,000 for an accident.

I'll make sure to read the FIJA. Hmm, Ron Paul's gonna be down here in November...I'll have to see that one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Your future is in the hands of 12 people who were too stupid to get out of jury duty.

Line form what show?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#23]
The way they handle the jury system needs to be fixed.  I don't know how but the current way is a joke.  Sit around from 8 to 5 not getting a dime (if you're lucky actually get picked or go home at lunch or at 3).  If you're lucky you might get to be one of those call in jurors but even that isn't as good as it could be.

They need to revamp it, maybe make it everyone has to call in...or if anyone has better ideas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top