Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 9:08:17 PM EDT
Not quite but almost copying the strategy of "The movie that shall not be named", fox showed a 10 minute preview of "The day after tomorrow" this evening right after that 70's show. For those of you that missed it, here's a brief summary:

1. Ominous music
2. A lone, somewhat odd expert in something relating to the film's subject matter.
3. Odd events that some people ignore. But you and the lone expert know better.
4. The government not wanting to listen to the expert from item #2.
5. A crowd of people looking up at the sky, unable to move (accompanied by more ominous music).
6. Overwrought dialog.
7. A heart-touching subplot (accompanied by appropriate ominous or heart touching music, depending on the situation.)
8. Massive plot holes and actions that defy both logic and the known laws of the universe.
9. Oh yes, gobs and gobs of computer generated special effects to make you go ooh and ahhh and take your mind off the fact that you've paid good money to watch one of the most ridiculous pieces of cinema ever to see wide release.
10. Did I mention the ominous music?

BTW, the above formula also applies to former roland emmerich movies like "independece day" and "godzilla". Hell, if it worked twice before, why not just do it again? Maybe next time instead of the environment, a monster, or aliens, they'll plug a different scary thing into the formula. Hmm, what's left???

And anyone who complains about hollywood making crappy movies and then pays to see this movie has no right to complain ever again about hollywood making crappy movies.  You will get more of the behavior that you reward.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont expect I'll be seeing it.  It might get my 99 cent theatre visit, maybe and thats only if I got time to kill.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw one article that stated that there was only 37 basic stories. All the movies we see are merely variations on these frameworks; just different actors and settings.

Ny favorite cliches:

#1: Cool guy walking away from an explosion with apparent unconcern.

#2: The "assassin" assembling his take-down rifle out of a briefcase. And the scope stays zeroed!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Al Gore is calling for every one to watch the movie.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
That trailer really got my juices flowing.

While I know that it will be a cheesy Armageddon/Deep Impact type of film, I can't wait to see it.  I'll probably see it on opening day.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#5]
It's based on an Art Bell book. Need I say it'll be a flaming turd?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's not a joke.  Heard the same on the news today.  

Gore however has, really, become a very sad (ain't it great) joke.  Damn, his timing is wonderful.  

The day it's announced an American's head is cut off, AlGore is advising everyone to see a fantasy, environmental catastrophe flick.  

Stupid idiot.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
if a friend hands me a burn of it  I might watch it other wise I wont waste  my money on seing in in theatres it looks like a big piece of crap.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gore however has, really, become a very sad (ain't it great) joke.  Damn, his timing is wonderful.  

The day it's announced an American's head is cut off, AlGore is advising everyone to see a fantasy, environmental catastrophe flick.  

Stupid idiot.

In his warped mind he has combined Eco-Religion and Christianity. This is HIS personal view of the Apocalypse.  He had nothing to do with making it, but to him this is as real as the Passion of the Christ is to a real practicing Christian.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#9]
it will probably be crap, but i always liked post apocalyptic movies like Mad Max et al. "Disater" movies where peopel don't live through them, or re about teh disaster, no the aftermath, don't amuse me as much.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#10]
They should do a remakes of the old disaster movies such as the Persidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, & Earthquake. These movies were way ahead of its time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Any idea what causes all the destruction in the movie? Was it a comet, nuclear war, Etc?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Humankind has so polluted the environment that the world's weather reacts by taking a ferocious turn for the worse!

... which explains why Al Gore is calling for every one to see it.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Movie snobs....

I'll be there to see it. I enjoy entertainment.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Movie snobs....

So do I. Sometimes even mindless entertainment (when I don't have to pay for it). I don't like being insulted with political rhetoric and total abscence of logic combined.

Hell, I appreciate the 'suspension of disbelief' effect in many movies. Just make sure the universe you create in that movie actually makes sense within itself. And if you're trying to say that this could really happen, better have your stuff together.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#15]
That bastard  Emmerich aint getting another penny of mine till he gives me back the $5 I spent to watch that oozing canker of a movie Godzilla.

Did I mention that he's a flaming liberal? I heard that the movie blames Repubs for the impending disasters throughout the flik.

Yup. Guarranty you that I aint watching that blockbuster shit bomb.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I am going to see it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Humankind has so polluted the environment that the world's weather reacts by taking a ferocious turn for the worse!

Wrong.  It is a cyclical event.  Every few thousand years the Earth experiences a polarity shift.

Or so Mr Bell theorizes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:00:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

OK, now I understand. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:17:29 AM EDT
[#19]
But it DOES have some kissing........THAT made my 16 year old say "Looks like a good movie."  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:19:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That bastard  Emmerich aint getting another penny of mine till he gives me back the $5 I spent to watch that oozing canker of a movie Godzilla.

That is about the only time I have ever agreed with the Japanese.  They essentially said that they were done with Godzilla, and then Emmerich [who worked on the excellent Stargate] went and made some freak-crap Godzilla.

The Japanese felt that it sucked so bad - which it did - that they went back to making Godzilla movies.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:42:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the review.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:56:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.  It is a cyclical event.  Every few thousand years the Earth experiences a polarity shift.

Or so Mr Bell theorizes.

In the preview last night, they were blaming the infamous "greenhouse gases". It may have changed from the book, like most bleeding heart liberal movies.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:28:17 AM EDT
[#23]
[ecoweeniemode]"Ohhh... Global Warming! The icecaps are melting. Save the rainforests(jungle)!"[/ecoweeniemode]

Yep, the Earth is warming...... that's why New Yuck turns into a giant popsicle! Yeah, okay....

I happened to remember that it was supposed to be showing, and flipped it on just as it was starting. We'll probably go
see it, if nothing else, just to see the special effects.

The reporter getting bitch-slapped/Owned by that billboard or whatever it was, propelled by the tornadic winds was worth the
watch!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I think I'll spend my Memorial Day - not at the theater - but in the cemetery placing flags on the graves of the veterans who died defending my freedoms.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupid idiot.

Not only that, but he scheduled his speech on "Global Warming" last January in NYC on the coldest day in 50 years.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Has anyone seen Solient Green?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Has anyone seen Solient Green?

Soylent Green is Al Gore?

[Where is the smiley that pukes?]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:51:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Soylent Green is people!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't think Al Gore is people.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Another cheesy natural disaster movie.....this time with an environmentalist twist.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I saw one article that stated that there was only 37 basic stories. All the movies we see are merely variations on these frameworks; just different actors and settings.

Ny favorite cliches:

#1: Cool guy walking away from an explosion with apparent unconcern.

#2: The "assassin" assembling his take-down rifle out of a briefcase.   And the scope stays zeroed!

Um dude thats totaly possible. I can take my scope off and put it back on and it's within 1/4 MOA or less everytime.

As for the movie, I don;t know about this thing. It could have just been the preview but it looked like all this stuff happened way to fast.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Why can't they just remake the Posidon Adventure?  That's a disaster flick I'd like to see.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Why can't they just remake the Posidon Adventure?  That's a disaster flick I'd like to see.

GunLvr

Great flick hell yah they should re-make it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I don't think Al Gore is people.

You're right. Al Gore floats. Therefore Al Gore is made out of wood. And since witches are made out of wood....
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Movie snobs....

So do I. Sometimes even mindless entertainment (when I don't have to pay for it). I don't like being insulted with political rhetoric and total abscence of logic combined.

Hell, I appreciate the 'suspension of disbelief' effect in many movies. Just make sure the universe you create in that movie actually makes sense within itself. And if you're trying to say that this could really happen, better have your stuff together.

I thought I saw the headline of an article yesterday about a British Scientist saying that what happens in this movie is very realistic? I'll see if I can dig it up. Not that I believe it IS realistic though.

I don't think I'll probably be seeing this one in any case.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#36]
[penguin] STOP GLOBAL WARMING! START GLOBAL COOLING! [/penguin]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top