Let me see if I have this straight.
Let's review for the class:
1. New Orleans/LA ignored their levee problem for decades, choosing to provide welfare programs with their tax revenue instead of fixing the problem.
2. Cat 5 Hurricane Reported headed for NO. Annihilation likely
3. Mandatory evacuation ordered
4. City of NO doesn't enforce or help with evacuation
5. Many citizens who don't leave, engage in raping, looting, murder and assist in destroying the city
6. Many NO police abandon responsibility
7. Rescuers are shot at by NO citizens, disrupting rescue
8. NO/LA officials have no disaster plan knowing full well of the levee situation
9. Gangs of looters roam streets disrupting rescue
10. People die
Summary: It's all Bush's fault
I'm not sure this "stupid question" is quite as self-evident as you would like.
I heard on the radio a lot of people moved towards the city during the hurricane, with the intention of looting in the aftermath.
Undoubtably there were a ton of home break-ins in the 24 hours preceeding the hurricane, with so many well-to-do people out of the city.