wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=31096

More Body Parts Found In Black Rock Canal

Posted by: Aaron Saykin, Reporter
Created: 8/23/2005 10:20:18 PM
Updated: 8/24/2005 9:14:56 PM

vAaron Saykin Reports

E-mail This Article
Printable Version

Buffalo Police say they have recovered more body parts from the Black Rock Canal. On Tuesday, a human torso was found in a suitcase along the wall of Black Rock Canal. Wednesday's discovery was made by two people at the West Side Rowing Club.

Tuesday's gruesome discovery was made by two people walking near the canal wall. They called 9-1-1 and the Coast Guard helped authorities remove the remains. Police say a medical examiner later confirmed that they were human remains.

For the next several hours, divers from the underwater recovery team dragged the bottom of Black Rock Canal, hoping to find any other clues. Officials say they found nothing else of significance.

"They don't think feel that this is something that floated down river or anything," Buffalo Deputy Police Commissioner Robert Chella. "The initial stage of the investigation is that it may have been thrown from the area we were at."

Reporter: "Is there any missing person out there, that, at this point, you might think it could be?"
Chella: "No, we're not at that point yet."

Police say it's too early to even determine the body's gender, race or age; however, they say they do know it had been there for "some time."

Reporter: "Years?"
Chella: "No, I would suspect not. In water, it wouldn't be that way no."
Reporter: "So you're thinking this is something that's been out there less than a year?"
Chella: "Oh yeah. Absolutely."

Police expect to know more after performing an autopsy Wednesday. After that, the homicide unit will try to match the characteristics of the body with all local missing person cases.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:06:57 PM EDT
I was wondering where I had left that,
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:07:34 PM EDT
I guess somebody got their trunk packed.

Sorry, I'm sick.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 7:26:21 PM EDT by ZW17]
I thought your title said "human remains found in a suitcase in a water buffalo"

Now that would be weird.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:27:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZW17:
I thought your title said "human remains found in a suitcase in a water buffalo"

Now that would be weird.

Shit, me too.

Then I read, Buffalo Police, and I thought, WTF they have their own Police?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:27:49 PM EDT

Now that would be weird.

Yeah, I thought they found a suitcase in a water buffalo and while they were in there also found a human torso. Busy buffalo... must of had gas to!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:30:35 PM EDT
iwell it was only a matter of time before they found my first wife.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:31:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:35:53 PM EDT
Vinny sleeps with the fishes?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:36:17 PM EDT
The person was probably whacked by some mobster and thrown in the river sort of like what Tony Soprano did to Ralph after he killed him. Man that show is good.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:37:59 PM EDT
Sooooo, will the news media release the race of the victim (after they figure it out) or is that not PC?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:40:48 PM EDT
I was washing my car and he kept bugging me for change.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:11:26 AM EDT
Well, now we know why Peak_Oil no longer posts.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:16:27 AM EDT
Hoffa?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:51:34 AM EDT
i personally used a tupperware like container. But hey, use what you got right?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:30:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fletchette:
Sooooo, will the news media release the race of the victim (after they figure it out) or is that not PC?

This may come as a surprise to you, but after a couple months in water all bodies look the same.
Depending on the temp and animal activity, they probably have little more than chunky soup with some bones in it.

They're a long way away from determining race, age, or even sex. Going to have to go to the anthropologists on this one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:34:15 AM EDT
It is probably the remains of some old lady that couldn't pay her Bingo debts down at St. Agnes's. Father Giancana and Fr. Luciano probably put a hit out on her.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:55:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dvr9:
It is probably the remains of some old lady that couldn't pay her Bingo debts down at St. Agnes's. Father Giancana and Fr. Luciano probably put a hit out on her.

You are sooooooooo gonna burn for that...............
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:56:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:

Originally Posted By dvr9:

You are sooooooooo gonna burn for that...............

If that is all God has on me....I can do that time in hell standing on my head.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:03:50 AM EDT
I'm sure that US Airways lost it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:14:36 AM EDT

Now that would be weird.

I was going "how the FUCK did a damn water buffalo eat a suitcase. It's the only reason I clicked on it. To find out how he ate it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:31:01 AM EDT

I was going "how the FUCK did a damn water buffalo eat a suitcase. It's the only reason I clicked on it. To find out how he ate it.

+1. I was thinking it must have a hinged jaw like a snake or something.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:41:08 AM EDT
LOL i was thinking one of these...

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:42:39 AM EDT
[Fletch] May I use your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo? [/Fletch]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:43:11 AM EDT

Now that would be weird.

yeah me too! Now that would be a funny mobster line: I'ma kill ya, stuff you in a suitcase, and stuff that into a large mammal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:55:26 PM EDT
slight update in the article
Tonight on the news the cop said who ever did it knew what they were doing and were careful in cutting up the body and likely had at least some medical training

wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=31140

Police: Doubtful That Body Parts in Canal Belong to Bindics

Posted by: Jeff Woodard, Executive Producer
Created: 8/25/2005 2:54:55 PM
Updated: 8/25/2005 3:11:27 PM

E-mail This Article
Printable Version

Buffalo Police don’t believe the body parts found in the Black Rock Canal this week belong to missing Jamestown woman Yolanda Bindics.

During a news conference Thursday, police said they were not ruling Bindics out completely, but based on the time frame of how long the body parts were in the water, they doubt it is the missing mother of four.

So who is it?

Police say they know the race of the person, and are pretty sure they know whether it’s a man or a woman, but they’re not giving out details on either topic.

Meantime, the underwater recovery team is back out at the canal to look for more packages that might contain other body extremities, such as hands, feet, or a head.

The body parts will be sent to a special lab in Pennsylvania for extensive testing, to try to pull DNA, and to do reconstruction on the torso.

On Tuesday, a human torso was found in a suitcase in the Black Rock Canal. Wednesday, two people at the West Side Rowing Club discovered two more bags containing body parts.

Tuesday's gruesome discovery was made by two people walking near the canal wall. They called 9-1-1 and the Coast Guard helped authorities remove the remains. Police say a medical examiner later confirmed that they were human remains.

For the next several hours, divers from the underwater recovery team dragged the bottom of Black Rock Canal, hoping to find any other clues. Officials say they found nothing else of significance.

"They don't think feel that this is something that floated down river or anything," Buffalo Deputy Police Commissioner Robert Chella. "The initial stage of the investigation is that it may have been thrown from the area we were at."

Reporter: "Is there any missing person out there, that, at this point, you might think it could be?"
Chella: "No, we're not at that point yet."

Police say it's too early to even determine the body's gender, race or age; however, they say they do know it had been there for "some time."

Reporter: "Years?"
Chella: "No, I would suspect not. In water, it wouldn't be that way no."
Reporter: "So you're thinking this is something that's been out there less than a year?"
Chella: "Oh yeah. Absolutely."

Police are asking that anyone who may have seen someone throwing items into the canal, call the Buffalo Police tip line at 852-8477.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:03:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:
Hoffa?

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:09:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Ick. I can imagine what it was like to find that.

I really can.

I worked at a funeral home for a year. I made many trips to the ME's office for pickups.

Once, there was a dead prostitute scattered over several exam tables. Or more specifically,
her bones only. The rest of the flesh had been boiled off the bones as it had NO forensic value
remaining.

They'd brought her in, still in the trash can that she'd been stuffed into after the murder, six
months prior. Nothing you even WANT to imagine.

The smell of those bones on the tables is something I will NEVER forget. It was an ALIEN smell,
unlike anything I've ever smelled before in my life. I can't forget it, and I can smell it now as
I type this. Not a good smell, not a bad smell, simply an ALIEN smell. For my nose, it was
the equivalent of my eyes seeing a color that you didn't know could exist. Like seeing in ultraviolet.

CJ

I had a presenter at a medico/legal death investigation confrence I went to discuss that very case I think! Turned out to be a bit of a minor serial killer dumping the bodies in places where they were sure to be found. I do believe that was in FL...

I recall that the trash can was placed on the side of the Interstate somewhere and she had been bound by wires all over her body.

Of course it COULD have been just another hooker in a trash can I guess. Was that the one?

We had about 4 hookers killed on my area in the early 80s who were tossed off of the same bridge. The cops started calling the bridge The Chunkahooka Bridge from then on!

And yes, the smell of decomposing human being is unique and simply unforgettable. I have had to throw away several pairs of shoes and other clothing items after working some decomp scenes...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:06:45 PM EDT
wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=31470

15-Year-Old Charged With The Murder and Dismemberment Of His Mother

Posted by: Aga Dembinska, Assignment Desk
Created: 9/10/2005 3:24:38 PM
Updated: 9/10/2005 8:06:39 PM

E-mail This Article
Printable Version

Buffalo Police say they have solved the case of the human body parts found inside a suitcase in the Black Rock Canal just over 2 weeks ago. Officials say that a 15-year-old boy has been charged with the murder of his mother and a 50-year-old man may have put him up to it.

Police identified that the body parts belonged to 46-year-old Madeline Irene of 500 Fargo Avenue in Buffalo. Detectives are still trying to piece together all the details but say what they have discovered so far is very disturbing.

Police believe 50-year-old Edwin Jimenez moved to 26 Sherwood from California about a year ago and established a relationship with Madeline Irene’s 15-year-old and 12-year-old sons. They believe that Jimenez then psychologically influenced the 15-year-old boy to kill his mother. Jimenez has also been charged with kidnapping and sodomizing the 12-year-old boy.

Here’s how police pieced all the details together: a 20-pound rice bag was used to weigh down the suitcase that contained a human torso back in August. On that rice bag was a proof-of-purchase sticker from Tops. Detectives then worked with Tops and found that Madeline Irene used her bonus card to purchase a 20-pound bag of rice. Irene had also been reported as missing around that time frame. Investigators went to 500 Fargo Avenue and found the 15-year-old who led them to 26 Sherwood where Edwin Jimenez was staying.

Buffalo Police Commissioner Rocco Diina would not detail how the murder occurred but said as the investigation continues they hope to charge Jiminez along with the 15-year-old in the murder and they will “proceed methodically, intelligently in this investigation to make sure that every ‘i’ is dotted, every ‘t’ is crossed so this heinous crime can be solved completely and this 50-year-old will never see the light of day again”.

Police say they did recover evidence at Jimenez's home, including a large garbage can filled with concrete that could contain more body parts.

The 15-year-old boy was arraigned this morning and is being held in the Juvenile Detention Center while Jimenez is in the Erie County Holding Center. The 12-year-old boy is staying with relatives.

Be sure to tune to 2 On Your Side News at 6 and 11 for the latest updates.

for the tin foil hat squad I'll repost an excerpt

On that rice bag was a proof-of-purchase sticker from Tops. Detectives then worked with Tops and found that Madeline Irene used her bonus card to purchase a 20-pound bag of rice.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:25:00 AM EDT
bump on the slight chance anyone cares
Top Top