Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/19/2014 6:24:23 PM EST
I got a single Merkur blade with the Merkur 34c I bought but it seemed to get dull at around 3 shaves. Even being a novice I noticed that something had changed and tossed the blade.

Switched it out for a Feather last night and for the first time I cut myself, multiple times. Besides that it irritated the rest of my skin afterwards while still using the same razor and shaving soap.

What else is out there thats a good idea to try and see?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:26:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:52:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By gammaecho22:
I got a single Merkur blade with the Merkur 34c I bought but it seemed to get dull at around 3 shaves. Even being a novice I noticed that something had changed and tossed the blade.

Switched it out for a Feather last night and for the first time I cut myself, multiple times. Besides that it irritated the rest of my skin afterwards while still using the same razor and shaving soap.

What else is out there thats a good idea to try and see?
View Quote

Feathers are great for a heavy beard, but they can be too aggressive for some.

Check out this page for info on some common blades. It gave me a good starting point when I made the switch. http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/education/double-edge-shaving/48-choosing-the-right-blade.html
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:35:04 PM EST
I really like the Personna red pack blades. They're all I've used in years. I hear a lot of folks like Astras. Merkur blades are not well reviewed at all.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:22:36 AM EST
+1 on Personna reds. Also give Dorco ST301's a try.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:48:34 AM EST
I like Derby and Astra blades.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:52:34 PM EST
I switch between Astra SP and Voskhod. Both are available on Amazon in 100 ct. packs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:22:44 PM EST
youtube search for palm stropping

feathers bite me as well and I palm strop them first
to actually tame them a bit... exact opposite of the definition of palm stropping but.. it is what it is

dont discount the feathers completely
they arent my favorite but I have a feather blade that has been in my razor for 20+ shaves
sure its just a fluke but at this point that is insane usage for a single blade
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:24:26 AM EST
The Feathers are plenty sharp, but I cut myself too much with them. My favorite blade (so far) is the the Gillette Platinum.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:47:04 PM EST
I like the Astra blades off Amazon. As cheap as they are I rarely use a blade more than twice.
I generally throw the twice used blades in a small plastic bin as they come in handy for various projects
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:22:03 PM EST
I personally use Feather. Haven't had a problem with them but I don't apply any pressure like you're supposed to and just use the weight of the razor. Also, my beard is quite coarse and I have to shave every day.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:48:55 PM EST
I gave my father in law a pack of dorcos. Worst blades ever and I told him that.

He loves em.

It's real personal. You just have to try a bunch.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 7:05:41 PM EST
So far I have tried Wilkinson Sword, Astra, Crystal, and Shark. Crystal has been my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 4:27:46 PM EST
The only blades you will ever need:

Insanely smooth.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:01:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/4/2015 12:06:19 AM EST by mc556]
I like the Personna Blue that are made here in the USA.
I use a 20c as my main razor with various shave soaps. The Personna blades are somewhat like the Astra SP blades just a touch more expensive
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:36:16 PM EST
Red Personna and Super Iridiums for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:13:22 AM EST
Derby, Astra, Shark, Personna from Israel in UK packaging (West Coast Shaving), Lord, Crystal (Israel), Feather (wicked sharp). I, too, had bad luck with Dorco, but YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:44:18 AM EST
I've tried a ton of different blades and my go-to are the Astra SP (Green). Very sharp yet fairly mild/forgiving. Be careful around the nose because the corners are left sharp.

Feathers are great for killing some heavy growth when your face has had a break, but you have to use good form and they dull quickly due to the super thin edge. I find them too aggressive for every day use, but I have sensitive skin.

Israeli/Red Personna are second to Astras.

Crystal and Dorco are my next choice but seem thin like Feathers, yet not as sharp which translates to less smoothness I think because they flex as they bite the hairs. Maybe the micro-edge isn't as polished or something.

I've had terrible luck with USA/Blue Personnas. They seem great when the QC is good, but they've been horribly inconsistent in sharpness with entire batches worthless.

Wasn't a huge fan of Gillette blades, however I think I only tried them in a shitty vintage Gillette Tech that I finally realized warped the blades thus tearing up my face with any blade. Perhaps they're good but I can't imagine they're any better than Astra SP which are cheaper and phenomenally consistent.
Top Top